Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Power Supplies and Power Supply Design
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2018, 01:02 AM   #1521
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
Given it was one of the cheaper units out there, thr PFC choke could very well been fake. That, and my friend specifically asked me to bring the choke to him so he could reuse the copper wire.
Well, if it's a fake choke, there wouldn't be much copper wire for your friend to reuse.

Quote:
And yes, going by how much components are installed, Allied is actually Deer's high end line, with L&C being the bottom of the barrel, and of course Deer itself which is in the middle.
Yes, Allied is indeed Solytech's high-end line, with the others as you described. I was just joking with you that you called Allied a high-end PSU. Really in the grand scheme of things, Allied PSUs are pretty mediocre compared to the whole market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin! View Post
The fact is that this source ERL39 burned the coil, how is this possible? I had never seen anything like it.
No idea. First time I see/hear of a burned transformer. Normally the primary transistors pop way before that happens. Would be really interesting to desolder it and take it apart. Perhaps a short developed on the output side windings (high-current side).
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:37 AM   #1522
kevin!
recapping PCB.

City & State: Gerona
My Country: España
Line Voltage: EUR 230VAC 50Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Well, if it's a fake choke, there wouldn't be much copper wire for your friend to reuse.

Yes, Allied is indeed Solytech's high-end line, with the others as you described. I was just joking with you that you called Allied a high-end PSU. Really in the grand scheme of things, Allied PSUs are pretty mediocre compared to the whole market.

No idea. First time I see/hear of a burned transformer. Normally the primary transistors pop way before that happens. Would be really interesting to desolder it and take it apart. Perhaps a short developed on the output side windings (high-current side).
Probably, I've never seen anything like that, when I saw it I was stunned.
Thank you

Server:

HTPC:
Intel Xeon X3460, 8GB DDR3, MSI ms-7316, case hp pro mt3133, liteon 300w (recapped), nvidia gt 1030, samsung spinpoint 500GB.
kevin! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #1523
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz

Quote:
Well, if it's a fake choke, there wouldn't be much copper wire for your friend to reuse. .
He did find some copper wire inside. Ah well, I couldn't reuse the PFC either, as I couldn't screw it to the new casing. Plus, it was blocking airflow.
DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS, Intel Xeon X5450 3.00GHz, Sapphire Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3, 8GB DDR2-800, LiteOn DVD-RW drive, RPC 500LBL 500W (rebuilt), AVerMedia Super 009 TV tuner, Samsung HD103SI 1TB, noname black case
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #1524
Stefan Payne
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Northern Germany
My Country: Germany
Line Voltage: 230VAC/50Hz or 400VAC/3P/50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin! View Post
Hello, I share these photos of this PSU Be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM-530W 80Plus Bronze, which I took from a Spanish forum, the photos belongs to bmdm (he granted me permission to publish his photos), I do not say the name of the forum to avoid spamming.
The fact is that this source ERL39 burned the coil, how is this possible? I had never seen anything like it.
What Hardware was used?
My guess would be newer higher end stuff like a 1070 or maybe even 1080(ti), that causes brutal transients...

That might eventually have killed the Transformer (and possibly other stuff), though the L8 is very high on capacitance on +12V...
Stefan Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #1525
kevin!
recapping PCB.

City & State: Gerona
My Country: España
Line Voltage: EUR 230VAC 50Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
What Hardware was used?
My guess would be newer higher end stuff like a 1070 or maybe even 1080(ti), that causes brutal transients...

That might eventually have killed the Transformer (and possibly other stuff), though the L8 is very high on capacitance on +12V...
Initially it has a gtx 760, with a gigabyte motherboard h77 d3h, 2 SSD, 1 HDD. the processor does not know what it is not specific, but comments that it was freezing by being a few minutes playing, possibly it would not have enough power and I just burn it, as you say. A if the psu must be wrong, or exceeded its capacity.
Now the owner bought a 750w seasonic focus and all the problems were solved.
(sorry my bad english)
Bye thank you

Last edited by kevin!; 09-19-2018 at 05:08 PM..
kevin! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #1526
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post

I doubt the transients killed the traffo. Yes, all new hardware has really harsh transients between idle and full load, but most cards typically go through their throttle steps fairly smoothly with the load. And either way, hard transients can only make a PSU unstable, possibly loose regulation and shut off.

Quote:
Ah well, I couldn't reuse the PFC either, as I couldn't screw it to the new casing. Plus, it was blocking airflow.
Yes, PPFC coils always block a bit more airflow. Still 100% worthwhile installing, though.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #1527
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz

Quote:
Yes, PPFC coils always block a bit more airflow. Still 100% worthwhile installing, though.
Well, as I said, I reused the AC filtering PCB from a Enermax, and that should be more than enough, given the main PSU PCB has complete filtering as well.
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:04 AM   #1528
Behemot
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Prague, 50°4'52.22"N, 14°23'30.45"E
My Country: CZ
Line Voltage: 230 V/50 Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

What does the filtering board has in common with harmonics?

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!
Behemot is offline   Reply With Quote