Intel introduces ATX12VO spec eliminating 3.3 and 5v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel introduces ATX12VO spec eliminating 3.3 and 5v

yup. Should be adopted by OEM' within next year or so, for standardized within the next two

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/at...-supplies-psus
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: Intel introduces ATX12VO spec eliminating 3.3 and 5v

Long overdue.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

oh boy... thanks for the heads up... time for me to start hoarding legacy power supplies now! lol!

anyway, rather than keep the 8-pin eps 12v power connector for high power systems, they might as well just add that 24v rail which they were thinking of doing for some time for high powered systems instead. pretty easy to add that 24v rail by just using a voltage doubler in the psu design. im sick of using 3 sets of 8/6 pin pci-e power connectors on high power bitcoin mining gpus!

Comment

fuck intel, it's just going to make the motherboards less reliable by moving the main failure point from the cheap metal box to the expensive bit!
        and that's probably why they are doing it! dell have been doing it since i3 and they are a dog to work on!

Comment

yea i agree with that too. personally and actually, they (intel) have been constantly moving the shit over to the mainboard manufacturers since lga775 when intel put the cpu socket pins on the mainboard instead of on the cpu like pga478 and earlier.

this shit is yet another manifestation of intel moving more and more of the failure points over to the mainboard! boooo to intel!

Comment

i have seen so many 775 and i3/i5 boards written off because of those "sockets" that it's sickening.
            they arent even "sockets" - it would be better to describe them as plugs.

and have you seen how often Rossmann finds dead intel cpu's because they put power management, video or usb on the cpu and the ports got shorted!!!

Comment

Reminds me that since Athlon 64 and first gen Core i-series, more things were actually moved from the motherboard to the CPU. And thus when a motherboard replacement was required previously, a CPU replacement is required instead.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                And thus when a motherboard replacement was required previously, a CPU replacement is required instead.
                except that there is now a growing trend to solder the cpu to the fucking board!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  except that there is now a growing trend to solder the cpu to the fucking board!!
                  yeah i've seen that on some small oems and a growing number of laptops (especially thin ones)

as far as usb destroying soc cpus, the motherboard manufacturers need to add some decent protection on those circuts

standard atx desktop boards haven't seen that change and manufacturers thus far have "assured" they're going to keep "sockets"
                  Last edited by Uranium-235; 03-10-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Like it's the SX era, LOL!
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

intel notebook cpu's lately have the CPU and ICH in on a single package

An Asrock ATX12VO motherboard.

An entire VRM on the motherboard. I have trust issues with SO double package mosfets, and this has plenty of them
                      Attached Files

Comment

that kind of looks like an xbox-one
                        wait till a fet shorts and you have to work out which one and actually replace it!!

Comment

What's the standby voltage for ATX12VO ? Is the 12V always on or is there another low power supply supplementary?

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                            What's the standby voltage for ATX12VO ? Is the 12V always on or is there another low power supply supplementary?
                            From what I read, it's 12V standby too. Can't say why, other than to make them truly "12V only".

----

I'm a bit late to the party, but I will note that this setup is roughly how a lot of (but not all) modular server/workstation supplies work. At least my supermicro ones do. Still has a separate 5VSB, but the modules are otherwise single 12V railed, and the modular interface does all the stepdowns for the other voltages. Handy for repurposing such as high-current 12V supplies.

This also means if for some bizzare reason I ever wanted to convert one of my modular PSU'd eeATX SM cases to ATX12VO, I could theoretically design a "dummy" interface board (replace the existing board and cable) to do such (although I'd need to include some amount of 5V for running the SAS backplane (and legacy drives), and add a 12V boost converter for the 5VSB. Hell, SM might just do that for future products if they adopt ATX12VO on future workstation/server boards and chassis... other than 5VSB -> 12VSB change, they're already there.
                            Last edited by ratdude747; 08-28-2020, 09:03 AM.
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Linus Tech Tips did a piece on this a couple weeks ago, thought I saw the link here but maybe not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heyGtgdfN7A
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                From what I read, it's 12V standby too. Can't say why, other than to make them truly "12V only".
                                But still not clear, is the 12V always on or is there a second 12V supply that's always on and the first one is switchable?

Comment

Allrighty found documentation, yeah looks 12VSB is separate from the 12V power.
                                  Anyway so it looks like ATX12VO motherboards also need to supply power to SATA hard drives as it would be quite difficult to power legacy hard drives without 5V... And USB will still need a downconvert, and probably from 12VSB too to charge devices while the computer is off. Then again who knows if rapid charge will be implemented? Did not find how many watts minimum 12VSB needed to supply, though 10W is absolute minimum and it looks like it needs to supply around 2A perhaps?

Also looks like we need to stock up on 3.3mF 16V+ low esr capacitors as it seems there's a requirement for these to be installed in the spec...

No more than 1% ripple, 5% voltage tolerance...

Comment

Moving the drive/SATA power supplies off from the PSU and onto the motherboard is stupid at best. I've seen early OEM PCs adopt this shit as early as 2015 or 2016 (cheap-ass HP tin boxes, if I have to be precise.) It's just adding more failure points onto the motherboard... which of course the OEMs will want, because they always try to charge an arm and a leg (maybe a kidney too) for a replacement motherboard. Either that or buy a new PC - an outcome with which they are happy too, because it gives them more business.

The other reason why I'm not so thrilled with this ATX12VO spec is that many PSUs will simply become smaller and smaller, now that they only need to provide 12V and 24V. This is not good, because as they shrink down, they will probably become more and more like laptop power bricks... and likely hardly serviceable in the same manner.

More shit for the landfill, I guess. Funny, though, is if you go to any manufacturer's website, and they have all the usual propaganda how they're working hard to save the environment. LOL, could've almost fooled me there!

Comment

cheap chinese atx12vo to sata power adaptors proliferate?

dunno, 3v3 was a mistake from the get go, but 5v was fine IMHO.

Comment

cheap chinese atx12vo to sata power adaptors proliferate?
                                        Oh I'm sure various solutions will quickly crop up along the way.
                                        But it would still be annoying to have to go to eBay or Ali to buy those every time you get a PSU and need more drives.

Dunno, 3v3 was a mistake from the get go, but 5v was fine IMHO.
                                        Yet, 3.3V is still widely used by many motherboards for the chipset, RAM, and CPU Vtt power. This is only because the 3.3V rail is already low-enough in voltage that it can be used with a simple linear regulator for low-power stuff.

On the other hand, I've seen quite a few motherboards not even touch the 5V rail, except for USB, perhaps. (And with legacy PCI slots out of the way, there really is no need for a 5V rail on the motherboard.)

Comment

Working...
                                        X