How much do you hate your smartphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do you hate your smartphone?

Basically what the title asks. What smartphones do you guys have and how much do you hate them?

The reason I ask is because I've always been a bit grumpy towards smartphones because they never seem to work for very long. Software updates corrupt things and there is not always a way to get it back to what it was. There is no easy way to backup an entire phone and reload it again. With a PC you can make an image of the hard drive and restore from that image and have a PC that is 100% like it was when you left it. No such thing exists for smartphones. There is backup software from the manufacturers but they do not backup everything and do not restore it like a hard drive image would. There are so many different backup apps and they all backup different things. So if you try to use different apps together then they conflict with each other when you try to restore your data and by then it is too late.

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to completely wipe a smartphone and start fresh. To "restore" an android phone you first have to go online and search for a rom for your specific model/carrier and hope that the website you download it from is legitimate and that the rom itself isn't corrupted in some way. From there you have to flash the rom with odin which more often than not throws an error and leaves you in a boot loop scratching your head. If you are lucky enough to get through the flashing stage you will then have to format your internal storage because flashing the phone doesn't wipe the files just the OS. If you have an external SD card you have to take that out and format it seperately. Even after doing this you do not have a 100% clean phone because I always find little reminents of my old data hanging around in strange places and apps.
    Apple is much further ahead in this sense because clicking the restore button wipes the phone completely clean in one step.

The repair-ability of smartphones and reliability is also another big problem for me. I realize that the average lifespan of a phone is not that long but they should still last better than they do. I also understand that many people are vicious towards their devices and they will eventually break just like anything but good repair parts are far and few between. If I order a screen on ebay, amazon, from the states, canada, or china, it very seldom works like the original. With PC's you can always get new parts that are actually made my the manufacturer. Also the lifespan of a PC can be extended well past the "average". For someone who browses the internet, watches youtube, does a little word processing, and plays freecell, they will not have a problem doing that on a 10 year old + machine. With smartphones you are lucky to get a reliable two years out of them.

As you can probably tell there is a very salty person who has been having bad experiences with their smartphones writing this. So back to the original question. What smartphones do you guys use and what are you experiences with them. Also, what are your opinions on the mentioned subjects?

I have owned:
    Samsung Galaxy Rugby
    - very durable
    - rubbish microphone
    - rubbish battery life
    - rubbish storage (256meg)
    - rubbish processing power

Samsung Galaxy S2
    - very comfortable to handle and use
    - fairly durable although the charge port was replaced 4+ times
    - not bad battery life even in the cold
    - not bad reception
    - good storage and decent processor
    - eventually crapped out and mobile data stopped working

Samsung Galaxy S4 (from China..)
    - good battery
    - nothing but troubles with the software
    - camera is not even as good as the S2
    - is now randomly crashing with black screen requiring battery reset

As you can see the S2 has been by far my favorite and most reliable phone.

What have your experiences been?
    canadaboy25

-Sometimes the light at the end of a tunnel is an on-coming train

Re: How much do you hate your smartphone?

The problem is: Samsung. My moto G has gone through many updates and many ROMS. No odin BS, just fastboot. And you can 100% format them too! System/modem/data all of it. Reboot to fastboot and flash the system image. Need roms? OK. Moto hosts the default ROMs. I have my first smartphone still. Works fine! Huawei ascend.
    Last edited by goontron; 12-16-2016, 04:47 PM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

My current phone: Microsoft Lumia 535 dual sim

PROS:
      - Comes with a clean ROM, no crap of my carrier
      - Plenty of storage
      - Very responsive for a limited hardware
      - 3-4 days of battery
      - Cheap 99€
      - Decent quallity and easy to disassemble
      - It has software updates win 8 --> win 8.1 --> win 10 (several builds)
      - Never had to make a system restore
      - Stable OS

CONS
      - No call recording allowed
      - Not many quallity apps available at the store
      - Can't export automatically my contacts to sim card
      - Some apps cannot be uninstalled (like xbox app)
      Last edited by cpt.charlie; 12-16-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
        The problem is: Samsung. My moto G has gone through many updates and many ROMS. No odin BS, just fastboot. And you can 100% format them too! System/modem/data all of it. Reboot to fastboot and flash the system image. Need roms? OK. Moto hosts the default ROMs. I have my first smartphone still. Works fine! Huawei ascend.
        I was starting to think Samsung was the issue. I was also starting to lean to Motorola. I have heard a lot of good things about their phones. I will not be buying a Huawei because several people I know have had them and they have all hated them. But Motorola does look like the direction I will be travelling.
        canadaboy25

Comment

Originally posted by cpt.charlie View Post
          My current phone: Microsoft Lumia 535 dual sim

PROS:
          - Comes with a clean ROM, no crap of my carrier
          - Plenty of storage
          - Very responsive for a limited hardware
          - 3-4 days of battery
          - Cheap 99€
          - Decent quallity and easy to disassemble
          - It has software updates win 8 --> win 8.1 --> win 10 (several builds)
          - Never had to make a system restore
          - Stable OS

CONS
          - No call recording allowed
          - Not many quallity apps available
          - Can't export automatically my contacts to sim card
          - Some apps cannot be uninstalled (like xbox app)
          Interesting, I haven't heard much about Windows phones. When using a windows phone I'm guessing you can only install apps that are specifically made for windows phones? I don't use call recording so that would be a non-issue for me.

Responsiveness, reliability, and battery life are the main selling points for me. Of course durability is also another big one.
          canadaboy25

Comment

Of couse, you have to install apps coded for Windows Phone, the good thing about this is that apps coded for WP or IOS run faster than apps made for android (blame java) but you won't find many, specially quallity apps, that's the weak point of WP, i would like to see X86 apps running in my phone, that would be great.

Comment

Galaxy S5 has a very good camera.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by cpt.charlie View Post
                Of couse, you have to install apps coded for Windows Phone, the good thing about this is that apps coded for WP or IOS run faster than apps made for android (blame java) but you won't find many, specially quallity apps, that's the weak point of WP, i would like to see X86 apps running in my phone, that would be great.
                Makes sense. My cell usage basically consists of calls, texts, internet browsing (weather forecast), very seldom social media usage, and an app that counts work hours. I also play the odd game if I'm traveling or waiting for a long time. I just want to buy something with a decent price, have it work reliably, and last for a good amount of time.

Oh and I also forgot, I need a good quality camera because I take a lot of photos of part numbers and other mechanical bits and pieces. It is very helpful to be able to zoom in on separate items and actually be able to see real details.
                Last edited by canadaboy25; 12-16-2016, 05:10 PM.
                canadaboy25

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                  Galaxy S5 has a very good camera.
                  A couple family members have S5's and I have played around with them a bit but they are just such a large phone. I'm looking to move away from Samsung and see if I have better experiences because buying a phone every year or two and having a terrible time with it is not working out.
                  canadaboy25

Comment

get into fastboot and reflash the recovery partition with TWRP,
                    then put a custom rom on the fone.
                    that improves any fone.

stay away from any m$ fones.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      This.

Had a lumia, never again.... I hope Nokia will break off of MS and start making decent phones again. The N97 i have still works and i would still use it if AT&T would support it.
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

The Samsung Rugby was absolute rubbish. The reception wasn't good at all. I had one for a day and sent it back. The phone that took the most abuse, being my work phone and then it was a handy down to wifes and the kids still play with it, was an IPhone 5 (those didn't bend and didn't have the "touch of death") with a Trident case. It's on the second battery, I don't know how many cables, but the phone still works perfect. It had some serious falls and the kids abusing every day to the tune it has to get charged twice a day.

Comment

i know a few samsung owners, they swear the fones are fine but i'm sure the fone is the cause of dropouts and not the network / area they are in.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            get into fastboot and reflash the recovery partition with TWRP,
                            then put a custom rom on the fone.
                            that improves any fone.

I've heard of this but always been a tad scared of it because of all the issues I hear people having with custom ROMs. I suppose if I find a ROM that is widely used i shouldn't expect too many issues. And yea I'm gonna steer clear of MS, haven't heart the best things about them.

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                            The Samsung Rugby was absolute rubbish. The reception wasn't good at all. I had one for a day and sent it back. The phone that took the most abuse, being my work phone and then it was a handy down to wifes and the kids still play with it, was an IPhone 5 (those didn't bend and didn't have the "touch of death") with a Trident case. It's on the second battery, I don't know how many cables, but the phone still works perfect. It had some serious falls and the kids abusing every day to the tune it has to get charged twice a day.
                            My Galaxy Rugby wasn't a terrible phone minus the things I mentioned. I didn't notice bad service with it but everything else wasn't up to par.

I'm not going for an iPhone. They just really are not for me. The iPhone 5 was the last good one and even then they had the problem with the power button failing. The 6's have no underfill under the touch IC so with a little bit of flexing the BGA balls crack and there goes touch. Way too much money for a phone that isn't reliable and doesn't suit my needs.

Next phone is likely going to be a Motorola after my Samsung completely craps out.
                            canadaboy25

Comment

didnt realise smartphones were such brittle and short lived devices... glad i never owned one much less owned a dumb mobile phone for that matter! guess i wont ever touch a smartphone unless its free and provided by the company i work for!

Comment

i dont buy phones, i get ones for free that others have bricked.
                                Linux and the commandline can rescue just about any android phone that windows has bricked.

btw, the chinese XAIOMI fones are really good, i would take one over a samsung any day.

Comment

I hate smartphones in general, as a result I didn't own one until it was needed for work (for on-call, either I have a phone that can receive e-mail and get on the internet to be able to respond to a call, or I'm chained to my computer for a week 6-8 times a year), and as a result I got one of the cheapest "major brand" ones I could find (LG Optimus Zone 2) and have no intentions of upgrading until either it dies (either the phone or the battery, since while the battery is replaceable it costs nearly as much as the phone did) or gets so old and obsolete that it can't receive necessary software updates.

Comment

If your Samsung phone is crashing or you have any software issues, you may try to reflash it with Samsung KIES. Just backup your personal data prior to this.
                                    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                                    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

still on my note3. it does everything I need. I am not a phone junkie. It talks, its texts, and is a decent point & shoot camera (I still use my dSLR for detailed stuff).
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

I'm still on a Note 2 and S3. Similar specs apart from screen size.
                                        Custom firmware on the Note 2 stock on the S3.
                                        The note 2 is far more responsive and noticeably quicker.

Comment

Working...
                                        X