Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus Motherboard with melted CPU+ATX connector - fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus Motherboard with melted CPU+ATX connector - fixable?

Hello!

I have received a defective Asus Z9PE-D8WS board from someone.
    It supports 2 LGA2011 CPUs. One of the 2 CPU EPS power connectors has a melted +12V pin and the ATX connector (24 pin connector) has one melted and burned +3.3V pin.

He claims it doesn't post.
    What could have caused this? Especially the burned 3.3V?

Could I just solder on new connectors and try to boot it up? How should I go about trying to fix this? I've checked for direct shorts but couldn't identify any.

Any help is appreciated

Re: Asus Motherboard with melted CPU+ATX connector - fixable?

melted and burnt 12v connectors are typically caused by an overcurrent situation overheating the connectors so it can be caused by a bad power supply, so make sure a no-name junk brand psu isnt used or a psu with junk brand crap caps in it since u ruled out a bad or shorted mobo.

heavy overclocking can also cause melted and burnt connectors. so it looks like 8 pin eps connectors arent any safer than the 4 pin atx 12v connectors... they still get melted and burned when poop hits the fan.

also check the lga2011 socket for burnt pins as well and the cpu for burnt pads. that should provide a clue of which pins to check.

Comment

have one card with burned 8pin. no short or damage elsevhere. just replaced connecor and everyhing works ok

Comment

Check for resistances on those burned pins. I assume a short would trigger the overcurrent protection, but low resistance doesn't necessary have to.

Also try to inspect the board visually.

If it looks ok and resistances are normal then you can try replacing the connector and powering it up.

Comment

Working...
        X