Apple MacBook Pro A1706 CPU hot, but signs of life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple MacBook Pro A1706 CPU hot, but signs of life

Hi everyone. Got MacBook Pro 13 2016 A1706 w/ Touchbar (820-00239) with strange symptoms. It draws 20V/1A from the charger (w/o battery connected), CPU gets reasonably hot, the fans start spinning (when the CPU reaches some temp threshold), but no image, no sound, no backlight, no touchpad clicks, no keyboard backlight (also no response to CapsLock press), no image on external display (through working dongle and HDMI). The laptop chargers the battery with no issues. Also the laptop reacts to power button like it should be: it kinda "turns on" (the fans start spinning) when on battery and turns off while holding the power button as well.

The laptop was opened before, the battery was changed or at least removed from the body. Screws around display flex area was unscrewed before for unknown reason. The MB was not repaired, as far as I can tell (no flux or solder marks). No evidence of liquid damage, but one liquid indicator sticker was removed (on U7430). Visual inspection under microscope gave me nothing more.

What I've discovered so far:
    - No voltage on L3500 and L8410 coils (and iGPU coils as well).
    - SMC_LID_LEFT and SMC_LID_RIGHT are high.
    - PP3V3_G3H is OK.
    - Laptop draws 20V/1A from the charger with no battery connected (or around 20V/2A with connected battery).
    - Broken J4402 connector (touchbar flex). When connected, laptop seems like bootlooping (according to USB meter) and U7600, L7600 are getting hot.
    - Q7030, L7030 are getting reasonably hot (up to 50C). Don't know if it's okay.
    - U4530 is getting hot when the touchpad flex is connected, and the laptop does not do any attempts to "turn on" (no heat from the CPU, no fan spinning). May be flex or TP damage.

Tried SMC reset, PRAM reset, but no luck (considering the keyboard may have no power at all). Tried to power it on without anything connected, except the USB-C port. Nothing changed.

According to my USB meter, I can assume that the laptop is booting (amps is jumping like during the normal boot process). Seems like normal boot process, the CPU gets hot, the fans are spinning at low speed, but no life.

Checked a bunch of repair cases of A1706 on the internet, but none of them has such problem. I really don't know where to move next. May be some stupid issue that I can't see though Really hope someone can help me with the repair.
    Attached Files

Re: Apple MacBook Pro A1706 CPU hot, but signs of life

Got back to this patient.
    Made some new volatge measurements:
    ALL_SYS_PWRGD ok
    S5_PWRGD ok
    PP5V_PMICLDO ok
    PP5V_S0 ok
    PP5V_S0_KBD ok
    PP5V_S4 ok
    P5VS0_EN ok
    PP3V3_UPC_XA_LDO ok
    HV_GATE1 ok
    HV_GATE2 ok
    PP3V3_UPC_XA_LDO ok
    PP1V8_UPC_XA_LDOA ok
    PP1V8_UPC_XA_LDOD ok
    PP1V1_UPC_XA_LDO_BMC ok

PP5V_S4_X_USBC - 0V
    P5VUSBC_X_PGOOD - 0V
    UPC_X_5V_EN - 0V
    PP5V_S4_T_USBC - 0V

Seems like I don't have 5V on any of CD3215 controllers. Yet the laptop seems to boot from any USB port. But no image, no backlight, no TP clicks, no keyboard backlight. I could not find any shorted capacitors. No signs of liquid damage.
    I've tried to connect USB thumbdrive through dongle. LED light is ON (5V is present), but no blinking (no data exchange).

Any help will be appreciated. Some thoughts?
    Last edited by baglaivlad; 10-12-2022, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Can you post the specific value for your measurement of PPBUS_G3H?

From this value you can compare to see if the SMC has requested the proper configuration of U7000 which is a main power rail.

The ISL9239 device is a buck / boost regulator but is configured by the SMC.

Given that you have 20V is a good sign that the CD3215 are working together to allow for this power delivery contract to be selected from the external power adapter.

What are you using as the power adapter? Is it the original and with the recommended power rating? It is ok to use alternatives but be sure it is strong enough to deliver the current (100W is ideal = 20V @ 5A).

Comment

If you get CPU Vcore, then it's down to memory, BIOS etc. Try a donor clean ME BIOS first. Also check that the NAND's are shorted etc, you can remove the lifeboard connector to isolate it from the CPU as a quick test. You could also have a stuffed PCH/CPU as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
          Can you post the specific value for your measurement of PPBUS_G3H?

From this value you can compare to see if the SMC has requested the proper configuration of U7000 which is a main power rail.

The ISL9239 device is a buck / boost regulator but is configured by the SMC.

Given that you have 20V is a good sign that the CD3215 are working together to allow for this power delivery contract to be selected from the external power adapter.

What are you using as the power adapter? Is it the original and with the recommended power rating? It is ok to use alternatives but be sure it is strong enough to deliver the current (100W is ideal = 20V @ 5A).
          Thanks for your tips.

PPBUS_G3H is 13V.
          I am using geniune Apple 87W power adapter (A1719).
          Seems like the laptop gets the power it needed. Like I was mentioned before, according to USB power meter, the laptop seems like booting (the amp is jumping like during boot sequence). I'm assuming that there is some issue within CPU communication with other devices (no image, no backlight, no keyboard etc.), but honestly have no idea where to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
            If you get CPU Vcore, then it's down to memory, BIOS etc. Try a donor clean ME BIOS first. Also check that the NAND's are shorted etc, you can remove the lifeboard connector to isolate it from the CPU as a quick test. You could also have a stuffed PCH/CPU as well.
            Thanks for your response. It may be a BIOS issue indeed, but I've never deal with it and don't know how to flash the BIOS on macbooks.

NAND voltage lines are not shorted. I removed lifeboard connector, but the sympthoms are the same, nothing changed. Also I checked lifeboard connector pins and they are OK (no shorts, correct voltages). Should I do more testing with lifeboard?

How can I check if it is a PCH issue? I think, the issue may be related to PCIE bus or something.

Looking forward for your help, thanks

Comment

Hello! Did you find a solution to repair your macbook a1706? Posted from 2022 but I hope you remember something because I have similar issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateusz200 View Post
                Hello! Did you find a solution to repair your macbook a1706? Posted from 2022 but I hope you remember something because I have similar issue.
                Hi! I couldn't fix that laptop back then. I was less experienced, but now I would try to flash BIOS IC, like was suggested. Also, I would probably try to enter DFU and try to Revive/Restore the machine (Restore will erase all user data).

Comment

If you will get 4014/4041 error during DFU restore, it's probably a bad NAND. If you won't get any image (apple logo) during DFU restore, it is a problem on Intel side (bad CPU power, or bad CPU itself).

Comment

There is no DFU restore to perform on non-T2 machines.
                    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Sorry, my mistake, thought A1706 has T2...

Comment

Unfortunately, DFU doesn't work, still no feedback from laptop, i will try do something with bios

Comment

Yes, try to flash BIOS (make a backup first)

Comment

Working...
                          X