Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technics Transformer question.

Hi there,
    I have this CD player from a Technics Component unit whose mains transformer is blown. The primary winding is open circuit. This transformer has many secondary windings on its secondary side. This transformer is obviously obsolete.
    I need to know if my trick for a alternative transformer will work. Please check the attachment for explanation.
    I want to use three separate transformers to be equivalent like the original transformer.
    The only thing a bit dodgy is the connection of the 9.6V and 12V outputs of which there is a interconnection between the two windings. As you can see the 12V winding connects to the center winding on the center tap of the 9 - 0 - 9
    I am aware that the three transformers i will use must be similar in VA size.
    Can I do it like I have hand drawn on the attachment?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Angelos
    Attached Files

Re: Technics Transformer question.

generally should work...
    the VA ratings are tricky, technically the sum of the VA ratings of each transformer should equal the VA rating of the original, but that's not a real degree of flexibility - it's the downstream circuitry that dictates what the VA ratings need to be.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
      generally should work...
      the VA ratings are tricky, technically the sum of the VA ratings of each transformer should equal the VA rating of the original, but that's not a real degree of flexibility - it's the downstream circuitry that dictates what the VA ratings need to be.
      Thank you very much, i will proceed carefully.

Comment

Usually transformers have a thermal fuse in the primary winding, sometimes its conclusions are even visible, put a jumper and it will work again.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
          Usually transformers have a thermal fuse in the primary winding, sometimes its conclusions are even visible, put a jumper and it will work again.
          Yes, i know about that but this transformers winding exploded and you can see a small black crack through the epoxy on the underside. It was lightning that killed this transformer.

Comment

Working...
          X