Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Bean VIP II Tire Balanceer No Power

Hello,

I have a power/control board for a John Bean tire balancer made my Snap On. the numbers on the board are:
    PWB EAP0167G30A
    ASSY EAP0167G31A

I bought this unit after watching it in operation yet when I brought it home and plugged it into 120V, it was completely dead. The switch and fuse were good so I removed the board from the machine for further analysis. When I did, VR3 fell from inside the cover. I resoldered this resistor but it still will not power up. Further inspection showed that VR2 was about to break off as well, so I removed it and resoldered it as well, but still nothing. The jumper wire was already on there and I believe this is evidence it has already been repaired once.

Any ideas where should I start checking first?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by A Man; 11-01-2017, 11:26 AM. Reason: Added photos

Re: John Bean VIP II Tire Balanceer No Power

F2 is EPCOS EC 600 surge arrestor that tests open. I am not familiar with this component. Is this normal?

Comment

Yes they will check open, they are basically a spark gap

Comment

Ok, it looked like it just went from the line input to ground. Can you help with the current flow?

Comment

check the inlet - it has a filter in it, check the switch - just follow from the inlet with your meter set to read continuity.

are you sure it's a 110/120v device??

what model is it?
          Last edited by stj; 11-01-2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Probably not, I could'nt even find the VR2 & VR3 you said fell off the board, I would check the whole machine and see what else may be damaged, there could be lock out switches on some of the covers etc. that prevent the unit from working if a cover is not closed? Do you at least have 120v going to the board?
            It's not a 230volt machine is it?
            Last edited by R_J; 11-01-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

It is a 110 device. The only switch I know it has prevents the motor from spinning the spindle, until the cover is closed. The readout panel should power up and the LED segments for the inputs should illuminate when the main power switch is on.
              Last edited by A Man; 11-01-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

are you sure its same machine you saw working ?

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                  Probably not, I could'nt even find the VR2 & VR3 you said fell off the board, I would check the whole machine and see what else may be damaged, there could be lock out switches on some of the covers etc. that prevent the unit from working if a cover is not closed? Do you at least have 120v going to the board?
                  It's not a 230volt machine is it?
                  I have attached some more pictures of the input side components.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                    are you sure its same machine you saw working ?
                    Yes, I personally helped load it and unload it.

Comment

I would put that thing semi back together, plug it in and do some voltage measurements. I AC going to the rectifier? How much DC voltage are on all of them big caps?

AFAIK, one turns the unit on and the display should be working and you aren't getting that far. That means you either not having any AC reaching the bridge rectifier (check all the inductors / filters and the switch for an open), you could have bad startup resistor, startup cap shorted OVP circuit on the PSU (it prevents it from starting and providing regulated DC voltages for the IC's), and the list goes on.

You have to figure out where you have and where you lost power. You also may heat up the board to like 40C and then turn the machine on to see what happens. There are 2 caps that look to me the wrapping had shrunk.
                      Last edited by CapLeaker; 11-02-2017, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Re: John Bean VIP II Tire Balancer No Power

Originally posted by A Man View Post
                        Hello,

I have a power/control board for a John Bean tire balancer made my Snap On. the numbers on the board are:
                        PWB EAP0167G30A
                        ASSY EAP0167G31A

I bought this unit after watching it in operation yet when I brought it home and plugged it into 120V, it was completely dead. The switch and fuse were good so I removed the board from the machine for further analysis. When I did, VR3 fell from inside the cover. I resoldered this resistor but it still will not power up. Further inspection showed that VR2 was about to break off as well, so I removed it and resoldered it as well, but still nothing. The jumper wire was already on there and I believe this is evidence it has already been repaired once.

Any ideas where should I start checking first?
                        Can you tell me what that capacitor is near that triac, D18?

Comment

Working...
                        X