help with new psu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with new psu

my psu fan just died on my old psu witch was an ocz modstream pro 500w and im going to change it with a tx650(https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817139005) thats i have had since jan 2014 that never been used just set on a shelf.what happen was my old tx650 died and i rmaed it and i bought the ocz while i waited and never switch them.the only thing that stoping me from using the new tx650 is its been sitting for about 4 years and i can see inside it and it has capxon caps by the wires and i read there really bad.im i just being paranoid or should i look into a different psu

Re: help with new psu

Recap it first before you use it

I do this myself most of the time if the switching power supply does not have well known brand type caps in it I recap it
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      Recap it first before you use it

I do this myself most of the time if the switching power supply does not have well known brand type caps in it I recap it
      whats a good brand cap to replace it with?also will the big one need to be replaced to

Comment

You don't need to replace the primary capacitor(s), the primary caps are the 200v/400v rated caps.

For the secondary capacitors, some brand like Chemi-Con, Rubycon, Panasonic, or Nichicon should work as long as you get the right caps for the job.

One thing that would be nice to know is what model of capacitors these are, as Capxon makes many different capacitors with different specs (just like the other brands i mentioned). On the backs of the capacitors, you should be able to see two letters next to the temperature rating, the two letters should be the model of the capacitor.
        I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
          You don't need to replace the primary capacitor(s), the primary caps are the 200v/400v rated caps.

For the secondary capacitors, some brand like Chemi-Con, Rubycon, Panasonic, or Nichicon should work as long as you get the right caps for the job.

One thing that would be nice to know is what model of capacitors these are, as Capxon makes many different capacitors with different specs (just like the other brands i mentioned). On the backs of the capacitors, you should be able to see two letters next to the temperature rating, the two letters should be the model of the capacitor.
          the ones i see have kf on them

Comment

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...0940ffe3f8.pdf

Comment

so do all you guys think they should be replaced

Comment

I think you should replace all of them except the main filtering caps
                Most of time I use KY , KZE, LXY if I can find the right size then FR , FC or its equivalent ESR Value

I have had very good results using these series before I only had a couple of switching power supply complaint about the ones that I have used in them

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/...ock=on&pv69=80
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-23-2018, 05:57 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply
                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

First check if the power supply works and also if it has active warranty. If it doesn't work and still has warranty, you might be able to exchange it instead. And if does work, at least you will know, so that if you do something wrong with the cap job, it might give you a better idea of where things went wrong.
                  Last edited by momaka; 04-24-2018, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X