I think I got a bad Hakko 808

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I got a bad Hakko 808

Received a Hakko 808 yesterday, purchased at Fry's, delivered by a visiting family member.

The packaging is suspect, no instructions, no cardboard on the front of the box.
    Missing the nut on the tip. I thought it came with 2 filter pipes, only 1.
    1 cleaning pin not 2.

But the big problem is, it doesn't seem to get hot enough. Even cranked up all the way, it barely melts my standard leaded solder, doesn't do jack to my 2 test PCBs I tried.

Guess I'm sending it back with my relatives.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: I think I got a bad Hakko 808

Here's a pic of my kit. I'm not sure what's included in the Fry's kit.

Is there a small amount of solder on the leads you're trying to de-solder? I have to add solder on occasion to get the solder to melt and vacuum properly. I normally have the heater set between "2" and "3" on my gun. I might even go lower on single-layer boards. Otherwise, I rarely have issues with the tool; it's one tool I can't do without.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by capkid; 06-28-2013, 06:19 PM.
    LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Thanks for the info. It's definitely going back.
      Compared to yours, mine is missing one tube, the black-handled cleaning pin, the nut, the black wrench (though mine has a small metal one) otherwise it looks the same.

Tried it again today on a spare monitor power supply board that I had already recapped. Even on small traces on a single-sided board with known leaded solder, it wouldn't melt. If I heated it with my other iron, then tried the 808 it would remove the solder if I worked fast, but definitely not hot enough.
      Last edited by smason; 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM.
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

So my suspicion was correct. It was returned to Fry's today, and they apologized.
        Apparently that one was supposed to be sent back for repair, and somehow got put back in stock. My relative is shipping me a new one.

I doubt that it was deliberate. Putting defective stock back in with good would just have it come back again, so it was likely an honest mistake. Unfortunately the person picking it up didn't know what it was supposed to look like, or have in the box.

Comment

That's good to know. Hopefully, the replacement works out for you.

Comment

Got the replacement today. What a difference!
            This thing is the cat's ass. Did a quick test-desolder of 2 caps on a monitor pcb I had laying around. It heated up fast, sucked that solder out like <naw not going there>
            really well.

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
              Got the replacement today. What a difference!
              This thing is the cat's ass. Did a quick test-desolder of 2 caps on a monitor pcb I had laying around. It heated up fast, sucked that solder out like <naw not going there>
              really well.
              Great. I can't remember the last time I used desoldering braid. The Hakko is the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
                Apparently that one was supposed to be sent back for repair, and somehow got put back in stock.
                Yes I got trapped too in one identical scenario , but the item was a high pressure (car washing) pump of 140 BAR.

Got the huge carton box from the local (super store) and travel back to myshop, I even have with me three close friends when tried to demonstrate it performance, the problem was that the motor looked underpowered or difficult to rotate, I suspected my self that it did something wrong like not taking out some sort of safety screw? (transportation safety)
                I got that mad with this problem and even take apart the electric motor and discovered that the shaft was bent .. factory damage.

I did returned it back in one piece and they admit that I got a returned item from another customer.
                In 12 minutes I was having a new one.

Regarding the saying Hakko is the ticket... I will say just hold a small basket in everything today.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post

Regarding the saying Hakko is the ticket... I will say just hold a small basket in everything today.
                  Sorry, not sure I follow you on that one.

Knowing your previous posts on equipment, you probably mean Hakko is a toy and I should only have a $2000.00 Pace station

Comment

What I am saying is something tremendously simple.
                    The brand name by it self it does not translate in to quality.

About what your wallet haves in it its not my business.
                    Your ID is Hobbyist Tech, and due that, there is no need some one to offer you advanced tips for expensive gear.
                    Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 07-25-2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X