Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smasung SyncMaster 913N Monitor wouldnot display images

Hi all,

First of all, I have to say that it's great forum that has many valuable posts from experienced people.

And my problem is I have Samsung SyncMaster 913N 19' monitor that has dull black screen problem. When it is not plugged to computer it displays "Check Signal Cable" message clearly. So i don't think it is power inverter problem. To ensure that I opened back and checked inverter board all caps seem in good state, no bulge or any suspicious component.

But once hooked up to computer, it would turn to black screen, and power green light flashes on and off continuesly with 10 sec interval. My suspect is problem could be logic board. I checked VGA cable on other monitor and i believe it is not the cause.

So just wondering if anyone know such defects, is there any cure to fix this problem. Because i haven't experienced with such problem before, except power inverter.

Cheers. All replies appreciated.
    Last edited by bathuu; 07-16-2009, 11:19 PM.

Re: Smasung SyncMaster 913N Monitor wouldnot display images

Have had a similar problem and had no success in repairing the logic board.
    I have bought an replacement board for about 60€.
    Any way, it seems some guys have found a solution now:
    link

Bridging pin 5 & 6 or putting an 47 -50r resistor across them. This increases the voltage at pin 5 from 3v to aprox. 4.5v

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
      Have had a similar problem and had no success in repairing the logic board.
      I have bought an replacement board for about 60€.
      Any way, it seems some guys have found a solution now:
      link

Bridging pin 5 & 6 or putting an 47 -50r resistor across them. This increases the voltage at pin 5 from 3v to aprox. 4.5v
      Spanish is my native language, and I don't know exactly what did you get from that translation, but there they mention an EEPROM and IC chip error that causes the screens to show a "Non-optimum mode : switch to blah,blah....", not an intermittent, blinking power LED. I had a similar problem with a Samsung before and it ended up being a small cap in the PSU. It's your call if you do that resistor thing. I'm not telling you it won't work, just that I had a similar experience before and it was not the Logic board. Mine was a 713. And welcome to Badcaps.Net for Bathuu
      Last edited by EGuevarae; 07-19-2009, 03:46 PM.
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050
        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Thanks for reply guys,
        I follow up your advise and see what I can do.
        To eguevarae: I could not locate any small cap labelled as 712 on my inverter board. Possibly, my board design is different than yours? Here I attached picture of inverter and logic board.
        Cheers
        Attached Files

Comment

@eguevarae
          you're right, i haven`t read the failure mode accurately. So may be it is indeed another problem the what my Syncmaster have had.
          Any way, as the problem is related to signal processing, which is the duty of the same chip, it may be the same cause.

I think it should not hurt any way to solder the resistor. But changing capacitors would certainly would not hurt. Samyoung capacitors do usually not live too long in hot environments.
          Last edited by gonzo0815; 07-20-2009, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
            @eguevarae
            you're right, i haven`t read the failure mode accurately. So may be it is indeed another problem the what my Syncmaster have had.
            Any way, as the problem is related to signal processing, which is the duty of the same chip, it may be the same cause.

I think it should not hurt any way to solder the resistor. But changing capacitors would certainly would not hurt. Samyoung capacitors do usually not live too long in hot environments.
            I agree.
            There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
            • Windows 10 Pro x64
            • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by bathuu
              Thanks for reply guys,
              I follow up your advise and see what I can do.
              To eguevarae: I could not locate any small cap labelled as 712 on my inverter board. Possibly, my board design is different than yours? Here I attached picture of inverter and logic board.
              Cheers
              Cap labeled 712? I mentioned mine was a 713, but I was naming the LCD Model : SyncMaster 713. And the board is completely different as mine.
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

bathuu,

Although there aren't any bad caps visibly, do you have a DMM to check the voltage rails? You really want to be sure that the power supply board is good before you start messing with the logic board.

Comment

Sorry, my bad. It is typo, I meant 713.
                  I'm newbie to electronics. Just don't know how to check voltages coming from inverter board. I have DMM, If you could enlighten me little bit. Which wires do I need to test? And on settings DMM should be set?
                  Next, I'm considering to solder 5,6 pin as advised Gonzo.
                  Cheers cheers, thanks for reply

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13
                    bathuu,

Although there aren't any bad caps visibly, do you have a DMM to check the voltage rails? You really want to be sure that the power supply board is good before you start messing with the logic board.
                    I agree with Lucky13, especially after reading you are new to electronics : it would be better if you check voltages first, and replace some caps before, than going to the logic board stuff which, in my opinion, is not the way to go. But it's your call
                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by bathuu
                      Sorry, my bad. It is typo, I meant 713.
                      I'm newbie to electronics. Just don't know how to check voltages coming from inverter board. I have DMM, If you could enlighten me little bit. Which wires do I need to test? And on settings DMM should be set?
                      Next, I'm considering to solder 5,6 pin as advised Gonzo.
                      Cheers cheers, thanks for reply
                      On the upper left part of the Inv/PSU board you have a connector that has labels like "on/off","gnd", 5v, etc.
                      That's the place for testing. Post a closeup of that portion of the board and we can tell you where to put the DMM probes.
                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Thanks for reply, Eguevarae. I have attached a picture of inverter board that has DC output to the Logic board. Which wires do test? What value they should show?
                        Cheers
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by bathuu; 07-21-2009, 02:16 AM.

Comment

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!

After just soldering pin 5 and 6 together, my monitor is back into life.
                          WOOOOOOOW.

Thanks for contribution all, Specially to Gonzo and Eguevarae.

But still curious to know what was the cause of such defect.

Cheers all. Everyone have a wonderful day.

Comment

The problem seems to be a bad signal prozessor, which degrades over time and then will need more voltage to work correctly. But sure, this is just an hypothesis.
                            Personally i would not bridge those pins completely, as it may could be too high a voltage in the long run. Just try the 47R resitor, wich would be far more conservative at this time.

Any way, don`t forget your Sam young capacitors. I would highly recommend to replace those, as it would not cost too much and they will or are already marginal.
                            I would recommend Panasonic FC or FM series, which should be available in most areas.
                            Even your SMD capacitors are Samyoung......
                            Last edited by gonzo0815; 07-21-2009, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks for response Gonzo,
                              There was a post in DT Forum, which guy said he simply bridged 2 pins and his monitor has been going good for like several months. So this bridging would cause any damage to other parts of board in the long run? Or it won't be serious concern?
                              Cheers

Comment

Strange case. Congratulations, and follow Gonzo's advice replacing those caps.
                                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Well, my joy did not last long.
                                  After having tested monitor for an hour, it failed to display images and start showing "Not Optimum Mode" symptoms. So I guess one problem seems to transferred to another. Hope this one has a way around it.
                                  Cheers all. Any suggestions, what I should do now?

Comment

Hi Guys,

Apologies for replying to an old thread however this is the only place on google that seems to be exactly related to my problem. I also have a samsung 913n syncmaster. The front green led is flashing really quickly. I have inspected all the capacitors for bulging and have tested each with a DMM aswell as the resistors and diodes which all come back fine. I did also try the 5+6 pin soldered together which in turn the green power led didn't even come on and something on the psu was making a clicking sound.

I have tested the four plastic connecters at the left top and bottem side of the board, two wires come from the screen and plug into this little white boxes on the psu and there appears to be no voltage coming out of them at all.

Has anyone been able to fix this issue? I've got three more of these displays that are working ok. I added two pictures to this post.

Daniel
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dan86
                                      Hi Guys,

Apologies for replying to an old thread however this is the only place on google that seems to be exactly related to my problem. I also have a samsung 913n syncmaster. The front green led is flashing really quickly. I have inspected all the capacitors for bulging and have tested each with a DMM aswell as the resistors and diodes which all come back fine. I did also try the 5+6 pin soldered together which in turn the green power led didn't even come on and something on the psu was making a clicking sound.

I have tested the four plastic connecters at the left top and bottem side of the board, two wires come from the screen and plug into this little white boxes on the psu and there appears to be no voltage coming out of them at all.

Has anyone been able to fix this issue? I've got three more of these displays that are working ok. I added two pictures to this post.

Daniel
                                      There are several possible causes. My usual approach would be to swap parts between the 'victim' and one of the working monitors. You want to make sure you know WHICH board is bad. By your description, I would say the most likely culprit is the power supply / inverter board.

If the problem IS the power supply / inverter board it could be either one or more bad caps in the power supply OR one or more shorted transistors in the inverter. In either case, a picture of the back of the circuit board will help us help you. The fact that the only cap with a readable label is a CapXon (sometimes referred to as a crapxon) leads me to suspect them.

A few points: While starting a new thread doesn't strain the server or otherwise cost money, it IS nice to have all problems with a particular model of monitor in the same thread is convenient. Extending it IS a good idea, even if the problem is slightly different.

Soldering points on a circuit board because somebody said it works is one way of releasing the magic smoke in an IC. NOT recommended.

About the only capacitor flaw a DMM will detect is a short. And that is very unlikely to be the problem.

Probing the CCFL lines in a working monitor is a good way to provide a major realignment in your life. These lines carry 600-1000 volts at 100 Khz, and can provide in excess of 10 ma of current. This will kill a DMM quickly. Do it with one hand touching the metal of the monitor could send it through your heart. It probably wouldn't be fatal, but a major cleanup would be necessary, especially if your sphincters relax as you are trying to let go.

PlainBill
                                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

PlainBill,

Thanks for your reply much appreciated. In regards to testing stuff then safety is key and I certainly would not start testing stuff while plugged into the mains or with capacitors that are not fully de-charged first. I am new to electronics and hope to fix this however there is alot to learn and do right the first time.

In regards to pictures I will try my best however the 7.1MP camera I have becomes blurred when trying to photograph the circuits. I'm hoping the pictures are good enough to view etc, please let me know if they are not and I will re-photograph.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X