Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Identifying badcaps in a Xbox360

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
    The MFZ are 2700uf, this will not work. Also where did you get your Rubycon MCZ, not off eBay I hope. If you did, they're fake.
    The MFZ I am replacing are 820uF.

I got the Rubycon MCZ from this site.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      The MFZ are 2700uf, this will not work.
      Credit to Ikvee who posted earlier in this thread.

But here is a picture of the Rubycon capacitors I am replacing

http://img710.*************/img710/1035/xbox36004.jpg

Hope this helps make sense

Comment

afaik mfz is custom and no datasheet exists.
        so try your mcz and check for ripple.if not good enough measure voltage and use polys.i bet mcz are good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
          afaik mfz is custom and no datasheet exists.
          That is correct. I emailed Rubycon and asked.
          Custom and no datasheet. <- That's what they said.
          Also said they are out of production now.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

The larger can is either to lower ESR or improve heat dissipation.
            Regardless, MCZ are known to work.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Ok thanks guys,

In that case i'll try them out see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                That is correct. I emailed Rubycon and asked.
                Custom and no datasheet. <- That's what they said.
                Also said they are out of production now.
                As someone stated earlier, MFZ is just ROHS-compliant (lead free) MCZ. The entire xbox360 is lead free, due to retarded politics. I don't see how this affects any children other than those Chinese who put the xbox together in the factories, and those who take them apart in the scrap yards.

Miguel, go ahead and replace them with what you have. The MFZ is most likely only taller because of a special request from Microsoft, or to compensate for the absence of lead. What you should have done is replaced them with polymers since they are available at that spec I believe.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

lead (and mercury, berilium etc) effect people who live near landfill sites and incinerators,
                  only a very small percentage of electronic waste gets "recycled" in china - most goes in the waste like everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    lead (and mercury, berilium etc) effect people who live near landfill sites and incinerators,
                    only a very small percentage of electronic waste gets "recycled" in china - most goes in the waste like everything else.
                    much of it is open burned or dumped on the ground.
                    "recycling" is the removal of parts that will bring a few cents each before the rest is dumped.look at some of the youtube vids.

Comment

that's why i put recycled in quotes,
                      but what i mean is that domestic electronic waste just goes to the local tip, it's only industry that disposes of stuff through "proper channels"

that old tv you see by the side of the road wont get any closer to china that a local takaway.

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I ran across this thread in a search. The Rubycon MFZ in question is not simply a lead-free MCZ replacement, MCZ is already RoHS compliant. MFZ is actually lower ESR (7mΩ for 2700uF @ 6.3v) than any MCZ. There is no MFZ datasheet, but if you scroll down to page 8 (or just search MFZ) in this document you'll see the ESR rating:

AFAIK, the only 'lytic that can touch those ESR numbers is Nichicon HZ. I'm certainly not saying MCZ won't work, just trying to share some info I spent a good deal of time tracking down. I ran across a couple of these MFZs on a Dell XPS mobo oddly enough.

Anyone done a full poly mod on a 360 yet?

Comment

Thank you. I was also starting to second guess this, and was genuinely curious what MFZ really was. I wonder if they use precious metals inside the electrolyte to get it that low.

If someone can find out what is the VRM on the 360 and what isn't (I'm particularly interested in the Xenon), it could be modded. My Xenon, and othermodels also have polymer caps already on the VRM, but if there's a chance that there's a capacitor on the VRM that's not polymer, it has to be replaced with half the capacitance. And capacitors that are not in the VRM have to be replaced with full capacitance. The MFZs are 2700uF, so they can't be replaced unless they're on the VMR circuit, because there aren't any polymer capacitors at that high a level AFAIK.
                          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I emailed Rubycon about MFZ.
                            They said it was a custom ordered cap and they don't have any data sheets for them.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

im soooooooo glad i found this forum, hopefully i can figure out why this xbox wont turn on now

Comment

Why, did you try the "oven trick"? Oven trick is good for components with no thin plastic AFTER you have removed the electrolyitcs. You don't wrap it with a scarf and tinfoil, you strip the board bare, unsolder the capacitors, and then reflow it in the oven.

I don't recommend this with a 360.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                  I emailed Rubycon about MFZ.
                                  They said it was a custom ordered cap and they don't have any data sheets for them.
                                  Bummer

Comment

Working...
                                  X