Lenovo NM-B861 (Carbon X1 7th Gen) No power no charge light & exploded cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo NM-B861 (Carbon X1 7th Gen) No power no charge light & exploded cap

Hello all! I am new to all this so please bare with me.

I have a lenovo carbon x1 7th gen a friend gave me. It hung and he turned it off to restart. After shutting down it had no power/no charge light. I pulled it apart and found a blown cap on what appears to be the main power rail. I cleaned up the area and tested, but no luck. Everything around the coils/inductors comes up shorted (caps, ic pins etc) to ground. I also have a few caps here and there that seem to be shorted to ground. I removed an IC and a cap to see if the short would go away but no luck. (i removed the ic because freeze spray showed it was getting hot and I thought this might be the cause.)

Does anyone have a boardview for this? I can't seem to come up with one anywhere. I believe this particular model was a Costco only unit.

Physical inspection of the board looks good otherwise. As stated I am new to all this and not sure what to check next. I'd really like to fix this laptop as I need one and funds are tight right now as I was laid off for CV19 related reasons.

Let me know if any clarification is needed. As stated I am totally new to this level of diagnostics so you may have to dumb it down for me. I am however very eager to learn more.
    Attached Files

Re: Lenovo NM-B861 (Carbon X1 7th Gen) No power no charge light & exploded cap

The short-circuited capacitor may cause MOSFET failure at the AC_IN input. Check the 20V line from the DC jack input. Are there any other short circuits in the Sys + B line? some coils may show low omage. Like 6 ohms 20 ohms.
    I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

Originally posted by Sametbey View Post
      The short-circuited capacitor may cause MOSFET failure at the AC_IN input. Check the 20V line from the DC jack input. Are there any other short circuits in the Sys + B line? some coils may show low omage. Like 6 ohms 20 ohms.
      No exactly sure what the sys + b line is exactly. I did measure most of the coils on the top of the board and they were giving me like 5-8ohms if I read correctly. I sadly don't have a working laptop board around so I can measure it and compare coil readings.

Comment

in picture
        Attached Files
        I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

Originally posted by Sametbey View Post
          in picture
          Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X