Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Power Dell U2410 Monitor

Thank you budm and obrigado luissm!

My board uses BYC8X-600,127 as D860 (same specs - 600V, 8A), and STF15NM60N as Q853 (same specs)

I have placed an order for the appropriate parts and will respond back when I receive and install them!

Comment

This thread is still alive after more than 3 years! I finally managed to repair my Dell U2410f. Sweet victory

In short, the parts i had to replace:

FR851 fusible resistor 0.2 Ohms
      Q853 power transistor STF15NM60N
      U850 PFC / DC DC combination chip SG6901
      U930 L7575 DC DC converter chip
      D856 1N5406
      Q953 MMBT2907

I started a long time ago to repair my U2410f and finally succeeded, so i may be not 100% correct in what i say but here is my story.

I got my monitor from a scrap yard and was curious if i could repair it, so this was not an urgent job and now i finally did it.

When i opened it i first saw a blown fuse resistor FR851 0.2 Ohms and measured a shorted Q853 power transistor STF15NM60N for the PFC, the usual thing reported here before. I replaced them. Nothing changed, no supply voltages.

I checked U930 L7575 and came to the conclusion that it should work but it didn't. So i exchanged this one as well.
      From then on i had power on the video board but the screen remained black and the blue lamps for the power and settings buttons stayed off.

I have 230V here and i remarked that the DC link voltage over C874 remained at ~326Vdc which means that this is just the rectified mains voltage and the PFC which is a boost/step-up circuit does not work. If it would have worked the voltage would have been going up clearly over 326Vdc.

I was not sure if my U850 SG6901 had to work at the measured supply voltage so i fed it externally with an isolated supply but still nothing, no driving pulses going to PFC transistor Q853. I decided to exchange this one as well.

No change. I had to see that the supply voltage of the PFC IC U850 remained below start conditions and searched for the reason. I found out that U930 L7575 which is generating the power for the video board also generates an auxiliary voltage which feeds itself (U930) and the PFC U850. The L7575 fed itself but i had to see that the power for U850 SG6901 was not fed and found that Q953 MMBT2907 a PNP transistor was broken and not forwarding the supply voltage to the PFC SG6901 U850.

I exchanged Q953 and i got the blue lamps on the front side going on with a beep for the first time. Also the DC link voltage over C874 was rising over 326V now for the first time but turned off repeatedly shortly afterwards in "hiccup" mode. I noticed that D856 1N5406 got warm.

For this test i had 500W filament bulb lamps connected to the 230Vac supply in series as an overcurrent protection and they lit up which means there still was a problem, the 500W power up consumption was way too high.
      I also noticed that the DC link voltage on C874 never went higher than 326V though the PFC part of the U850 SG6901 was switching, i did not understand why.

I checked the D856 1N5406 diode which got warm outside the board but found nothing and soldered it back in and tried again. This time after only one start procedure the diode started smoking and broke down with a short. I did not understand but i replaced it.

I checked the stuff around it but everything seemed OK. I tried again and now the hiccup was gone and even the LCD backlight turned on (this one is generated by the DC DC part of U850 SG6901). Everything was fine! It ran continuously without problem from then on.

The breakdown of D856 is really mysterious as i have never seen anything similar. From my point of view there are two possibilites what happened: A) the forward voltage of the diode got too high. I never saw something like that but it would give a reason why the temperature of the diode got too high. What i see is that power diodes short but do not create more forward voltage after a failure. But this does not explain why the voltage of the step up circuit was not rising. B) The diode couldn't keep the blocking voltage and started to act like a Zener diode after it got partially damaged. This would explain the heating and the impossibility for the DC voltage to rise over 326Vdc. It would also explain that my simple diode check still showed it to be "OK". So B) is my favorite explanation.

Now the sad end of the story: the screen is made from multi layer glass. After the back light turned on i was able to see that the inner glass layer was broken while the outside looked perfect...

I hope this helps anyone who wants to repair a U2410f, just ask if you have questions, have fun.
      Last edited by vidua; 07-30-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Hi,

please do not send PM as this information could be valuable for everyone.

Q950 = AP2764AI 650V 9A 1.1Ohm MOSFET Advanced Power Electronics Corp.
        U950 or U930 (not sure because there is a via hole in the "3" or "5" = LD7575 PWM controller chip Leadtrend Tech. Corp.

Both are for the for video board supply (CN851, 5V, 12V)

Thank you

Comment

Great job with an unhappy ending !!!

Unfortunately, this is what is expected of DELL.

Bad technology ...

My, a few months after the rapair, came this stupid line next to the DELL logo to remind me not to buy this crap brand again.

I did not go back to disassemble the monitor, because as the line is only partial, I can not imagine its cause. If it was a complete line from top to bottom, it was contact problems. In this case I have no idea what the cause might be. The only reason is to be DELL !!!
          Last edited by luissm; 07-31-2018, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Failed panel, that LCD panel is used by many other monitor makers just not Dell, dell does not make the LCD panel and many Dell monitors are made by BenQ.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

It is more likely that they are LG's IPS, but the responsibility for making good choices is from DELL.

They could use Au Optronics or Samsung panels, they are always more reliable.

Benq uses a lot of Au Optronics panels.

Comment

Based on fixing thousands and thousands of monitors and TV's, Au opto or Samsung are not more reliable.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Hi:

My Dell u2410f monitor displays a blue LED light on the power button as soon as it is plugged into 120V AC power. However, monitor does not respond to any button presses, no backlights come on, no image, and the blue power LED never blinks or goes off unless unplugged.

Capacitors are ok, and power board fuses are ok.

Has anyone see this problem before?

Comment

Hi guys!
                    I have this DELL monitor at repair desk.
                    R853 (15Ohm) was dead and also GD6901. After replacing them both I got power, monitor responce to the buttons. But the problem is with PFC system, as it is pulsing. I get 330...380VDC (230VAC in power socket) on C854. I have checked feedback and over voltage circuits, all seems fine, but they are pulsing all together, as main voltage is not stable.
                    Checked with oscilloscope the outgoing PFC signal to the Gate of Q853 and saw, that the impulses are terminated and looks like this: I_I_I.........I_I_I.......I_I_I and so on...
                    As I understand, that some kind on the protection is applyed. But can`t figure out which.
                    VDD on SG6901 and L7575 is 17.64...17.66V.
                    If monitor is in sleep mode, voltage on C854 is 310VDC and VDD on L7575 is 17.7V.
                    Can anyone please help me? Any advice is needed.

Comment

No ideas? Anybody...

Comment

Hi maxfox:

I have not ordered parts for my monitor yet, but I suspect one or both of ICs LD7575 (pwm controller) and SG9601.

I plan on replacing LD7575 first since it is only 8 pins and easy to solder. If that doesn't work then I'll try SG9601.

By all acounts, you have found or repaired the more obvious fails like the fusible resistor and mosfet transistors... I suspect the controller IC and pwm IC.

If you are getting 17V at VCC pins of those ICs then one or both of them is likely the issue since the input supply seems to be working.

Comment

Unspun01
                          Thanx for your reply.
                          I forgot to say, that L7575 is already replaced, as I suspected it also, but no result.
                          So: L7575, SG6901 and R853 are new.
                          I`m confused by the pulsing of PFC transistor gate impulses. Why is PFC output is terminated? I suspect it`s some protection, but which? As it is PFC and PWM combined controller, then PWM circuit is also affected. So the backlight is flashing the same rhythm, as PFC...

Comment

Hi again.
                            So are there any advice on what to look for?

Comment

Originally posted by Unspun01 View Post
                              Hi:

My Dell u2410f monitor displays a blue LED light on the power button as soon as it is plugged into 120V AC power. However, monitor does not respond to any button presses, no backlights come on, no image, and the blue power LED never blinks or goes off unless unplugged.

Capacitors are ok, and power board fuses are ok.

Has anyone see this problem before?
                              My Dell just failed with these same symptoms. All capacitors, diodes are Ok but I only get 134 Volts in C854 when connected to 120 AC.
                              Did you find what was wrong with yours?

Before it failed, mine showed some color lines for a few seconds and then it turned itself off with the blue LED light on.

Comment

A few months ago my u2410 died on me and i as too busy with fun stuff like protecting friends businesses up in LA from looters, etc to actually fix the display and bought a new Acer 1440p 144hz IPS screen... but now that things slowed down I finally took it apart after a few hours last night was stumped. Came here like i did with my 2407WFP and began reading. First thing that got my attention was the comments a few pages back about resoldering a few spots on the power board. The factory soldering job on my board didn't look very good with lots of dull, albeit oxidized to some extent. Some joints looked downright dodgy. So i got out the flux tube and my trusty Hakko 936ESD (ancient but rock solid) and went over just about everything on the back mainly due to the latter half of last decade during the transition away from lead solder, lots of products failed due to cracking or cold joints like my old Dell XPS M1530.

tl;dr

Resoldered the power board, hooked everything back up, pushed power.... DING DING DING!!! WE have a winner! Fired right up! I seriously didn't think that was going to be what fixed it and only did it since it was the cheapest fix to do at the time.

I think i may still order new electrolytics because a few of the ones on the signal board appeared slightly less than flat on top. I don't want to re-live the 2am capacitor BANG! i experienced when a cap went out on my other display.

Comment

Just picked one of these up today for nowt. So what is it with these from a quick skim read dry joints and bad caps?

Comment

Originally posted by KVron View Post
                                    My Dell just failed with these same symptoms. All capacitors, diodes are Ok but I only get 134 Volts in C854 when connected to 120 AC.
                                    Did you find what was wrong with yours?

Before it failed, mine showed some color lines for a few seconds and then it turned itself off with the blue LED light on.
                                    Same here my dell u2410 died with the same symptoms although I do remember it making a grid of red, blue and green lines, at the moment I was using it with an hdmi cable connected to my laptop, as soon as the lines appeared I disconnected the hdmi and turned off the monitor and since then it only powers up to the extent of the power led turning blue and nothing else, no backlight no beeps and no boot up cycle the touch buttons do when powered on.
                                    My first thoughts was that I should look for bad caps inside the monitor, but I couldn't find any bulging or leaking caps, I haven't checked for any voltages yet since the extent of my electronics knowledge borders this point.
                                    I tried getting help from local lcd led repairman and miraculously it didn't even show the blue led in front of him so he says the power board will be replaced.
                                    Even if I am getting professional repair done I would still like to know what you can diagnose the problem to be, since the repair shops are known for common fraud of stealing original components from devices.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I recently got an non-working U2410f as well, so here is my story. I disassembled it and did some measurements on power board. All voltages seemed ok. The fault on my monitor was the connection from power board to main board.
                                      I cleaned all contacts and resoldered both sides.
                                      Now it's working again!

Comment

Working...
                                      X