Acer x193w hissing sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer x193w hissing sound.

I got a problem here, something is strange with my Acer LCD screen, everytime I connect it it goes on and shows that all the cables are connected, and when I turn on my computer, the screen goes on for a while (2/3 seconds) making a 'sissing' sound and then goes off again.

While the screen is on, I can see the things that are happening like Windows loading bar and log-in screen but then it goes black.
    The power button, wich is orange when there's no power and blue when there is power, keeps being blue.
    If I turn off the screen by pressing the power button and turn it back on I get the same thing, 2 seconds active, sissing sound and again black screen.

Help would be really appreciated, need the screen so bad, though it's not a new one.

Pic related, the arrow points at the part where the sissing sound is coming from.

Re: Acer x193w hissing sound.

Originally posted by WithoutPurpose View Post
    I got a problem here, something is strange with my Acer LCD screen, everytime I connect it it goes on and shows that all the cables are connected, and when I turn on my computer, the screen goes on for a while (2/3 seconds) making a 'sissing' sound and then goes off again.

While the screen is on, I can see the things that are happening like Windows loading bar and log-in screen but then it goes black.
    The power button, wich is orange when there's no power and blue when there is power, keeps being blue.
    If I turn off the screen by pressing the power button and turn it back on I get the same thing, 2 seconds active, sissing sound and again black screen.

Help would be really appreciated, need the screen so bad, though it's not a new one.

Pic related, the arrow points at the part where the sissing sound is coming from.
    First, the reprimand. Please do not post pictures inline, it slows down loading, annoys people, and most importantly, seriously inconveniences retiredcaps. Instead use the 'manage attachments' button (below the text entry area).

Next, the good news. What you are describing is a classic case of 'two seconds to black'. What's more, the sound would indicate you either have a broken wire to a CCFL, or a broken CCFL.

Now, the bad news. You will have to open the monitor up, and perhaps disassemble the LCD panel itself to get to the problem area.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
      First, the reprimand. Please do not post pictures inline, it slows down loading, annoys people, and most importantly, seriously inconveniences retiredcaps. Instead use the 'manage attachments' button (below the text entry area).

Next, the good news. What you are describing is a classic case of 'two seconds to black'. What's more, the sound would indicate you either have a broken wire to a CCFL, or a broken CCFL.

Now, the bad news. You will have to open the monitor up, and perhaps disassemble the LCD panel itself to get to the problem area.

PlainBill
      Thanks for the answer,

I already 'tried' to open my screen up, but the problem is that the screen has no screws or so to open, so I'll have to, pull it appart (?).
      Is there any way to do it without harming the cover or the screen itself? Because this is my first time I'll open up an LCD screen :| ...

Comment

At the back where your stand attachs there are 2 blank plates either side
        Take these off and below are 4 x screws to take the stand off
        Once off look at the bottom of the screen bezel there should be a couple of notches insert a thin strong blade and gently prise the 2 halves apart workig your way along the bottom and then sides and finally the top
        Attached Files

Comment

Have service manual for this but cant upload it not sure why
          but can email if needed

Comment

Service manual is at Elektrotanya.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Is there any way to do it without harming the cover or the screen itself? Because this is my first time I'll open up an LCD screen :| ...
              Pry it apart like this video ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul5LhuCT1y8
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I think he is being a bit viscious but in essence yes
                But do start at the bottom of the screen and there should be a couple of small holes to start you off

Comment

Service manual is at Elektrotanya.

PlainBill
                  Thank you very much Bill! I'll try to open it up tomorrow and see what's wrong, I also posted this on a gaming-forum, there they said there's something wrong with the capacitor(?).
                  But anyway, thanks again for the manual and sorry for the quite late answer, got exams

Comment

Thank you very much Bill! I'll try to open it up tomorrow and see what's wrong, I also posted this on a gaming-forum, there they said there's something wrong with the capacitor(?).
                    But anyway, thanks again for the manual and sorry for the quite late answer, got exams
                    Here is something I discovered many years ago. If I am having a problem with my car, I go see a mechanic. If I am having a problem with my stomach, I consult a doctor. If I'm having problems with 'Castle Wolfenstein', I'll try a gaming forum. You're lucky the guys at the gaming forum didn't tell you to go to Radio Shack and buy their $3.95 grab bag of caps.

PlainBill

Comment

Here is something I discovered many years ago. If I am having a problem with my car, I go see a mechanic. If I am having a problem with my stomach, I consult a doctor. If I'm having problems with 'Castle Wolfenstein', I'll try a gaming forum. You're lucky the guys at the gaming forum didn't tell you to go to Radio Shack and buy their $3.95 grab bag of caps.

PlainBill
                      Now I unscrewed the monitor, and removed the base stand, but still have no idea how to remove the cover itself, it kinda 'glued'/stuck to the front part of the screen.

Edit; I looked at the video that was sent by retiredcaps, using a knife now, let's hope it works :-)
                      Last edited by WithoutPurpose; 12-21-2010, 06:22 AM.

Comment

This is what I got; doesn't look normal to me :s

http://img338.*************/i/img0609t.jpg/
                        http://img18.*************/i/img0610sl.jpg/
                        http://img683.*************/i/img0608yh.jpg/

Comment

What doesn't look normal? The white crap is glue used to hold components down during assembly.
                          Good Pictures of the back (solder side) would help. Please read the link in Plain Bill's sig about pictures.

In my not so humble opinion, the hissing sound will either be a bad solder joint, bad transformer, or bad lamp/lamp wiring.
                          If you can fire it up safely while it's disassembled, and turn off the room lights, you might see the arcing.
                          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Okay, I went on 4chan's Technology board and they answered there what the problem is. Best thing now is just to buy a new one or bring it to a repair store, but that's not worth repairing an old screen.

Anyway, thank you for your time lads!

Comment

Don't just toss it. Give it to someone who will be able to repair it.

PlainBill

Comment

Okay, I went on 4chan's Technology board and they answered there what the problem is.

WTF? 4Chan? Seriously? And they had the definitive answer without seeing it. Wow that's awesome

Now I know where to go next time I'm stumped.

Jeez....
                                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Okay, I went on 4chan's Technology board and they answered there what the problem is. Best thing now is just to buy a new one or bring it to a repair store, but that's not worth repairing an old screen.

Anyway, thank you for your time lads!
                                  Can you you please share with us as to what they said the solution to the problem was?

Comment

Sigh. Off site hosting leads to unwanted popups and potential virus/malware. Clicking on the first photo brings me to partypoker.com.

And if you are talking about

http://boards.4chan.org/g/

where is the bloody search button?
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                      Sigh. Off site hosting leads to unwanted popups and potential virus/malware. Clicking on the first photo brings me to partypoker.com.
                                      That's one of the reasons I ignore offsite pictures, and often the thread itself.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                      X