Gigabyte GA 8S661FXM No Post No Beep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GA 8S661FXM No Post No Beep

Hi all I have this motherboard as listed in the title appears to have an SiS Chipset. Motherboard turns on no problem, there are no beep codes. No POST either.

CPU chip is bone cold, so obviously it's not getting voltage. Tested the single cap in the VRM section, it looked kinda flaky so I replaced it. Didn't solve the issue.

I'm guessing the Mosfets are done and or the BIOS chip is kaput?

Anyone else have experience with this board?
    www.bcrelectronics.ca

Re: Gigabyte GA 8S661FXM No Post No Beep

If one cap in the VRM has failed, its likely the others have too. You either risk it and replace them all, or just dump the board.

Comment

Personally, I saw one last week with the same problem. I didn't open the rig, just saw the manual. What version is it? 478 or 775?
      Attached Files
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050
        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I realize this is an older thread.

But just recently a friend I know brought in this same motherboard (GA-8s661fxm-775) with missing caps. He got it from someone who used it for spare caps but it was working before.

Can you guys tell me what the values (capacitance, voltage and make/model if possible) for the following caps are on this motherboard?

Spots on mobo marked as:
        dec7, dec6, dec8, dec9

all are part of the CPU VRM (near the cpu socket).

Thanks!

Comment

I couldn't tell you.. don't have this board anymore so I can't give you the correct information... sorry!
          www.bcrelectronics.ca

Comment

Originally posted by swartz
            I realize this is an older thread.

But just recently a friend I know brought in this same motherboard (GA-8s661fxm-775) with missing caps. He got it from someone who used it for spare caps but it was working before.

Can you guys tell me what the values (capacitance, voltage and make/model if possible) for the following caps are on this motherboard?

Spots on mobo marked as:
            dec7, dec6, dec8, dec9

all are part of the CPU VRM (near the cpu socket).

Thanks!
            Are all the caps removed?

If not, can you post a close up pix and one of our senior member can probably offer up possible values to use.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13
              Are all the caps removed?

If not, can you post a close up pix and one of our senior member can probably offer up possible values to use.
              Yeap there are 4 caps missing for sure. At least that is all I can see from the flux/scratches on the back of the motherboard. If they took off any other ones they must've been much neater than when they took off the first 4.

I include a link to the pic of the board. Its a 10Mpix image ~2Mb. The spots where caps are missing are highlighted. There is a row of 3 caps and another 1 above them that are missing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...30193-edit.jpg

Having seen similar designs my guess is they all must be 3300uF 6.3v types but I would like to be certain.

Comment

swartz,

Judging from your picture, it is a 4-phase VRM.

So you are missing the input filters.

Most input filters are like 1500uF-1800uF, 16V.

You can browse other motherboard recap threads (llok for all Gigabyte GA-8 series) and you may see what other brand/models are using.

Comment

In gigabyte's website, the pic shows there are 3 VRM input caps:

I googled for other images and there is this one which shows 4 VRM caps which matches with what you are looking:

Attached Files

Comment

Definitively the same board.
                    I've seen those boards with 1800uf. The 3300uf I've seen were on AMD boards.
                    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                    • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                      Definitively the same board.
                      I've seen those boards with 1800uf. The 3300uf I've seen were on AMD boards.
                      Yeap looks the same.
                      What voltage were the 1800uF caps?

Coz i've had aprox. ten P4 board pass my hands with exclusively 3300uF 6.3v caps in the VRM section. Although all of them were Socket 478 based. This is the first Socket775 board that I've had. Mainly because a lot of manufacturers switched to solid caps or that the crappy caps were more or less exited the market (I hope).

Comment

Originally posted by swartz
                        Yeap looks the same.
                        What voltage were the 1800uF caps?

Coz i've had aprox. ten P4 board pass my hands with exclusively 3300uF 6.3v caps in the VRM section. Although all of them were Socket 478 based. This is the first Socket775 board that I've had. Mainly because a lot of manufacturers switched to solid caps or that the crappy caps were more or less exited the market (I hope).
                        16v 1800uf Rubycon MBZ caps. I've seen same series/brand/cap. but in 6.3v
                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                          16v 1800uf Rubycon MBZ caps. I've seen same series/brand/cap. but in 6.3v
                          Here's a pic from a dead ECS I had :
                          Attached Files
                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I guess you need to pull out your meter to figure out if you need 16V caps or 6.3V input VRM caps.

My guess is 16V as there is that 4-pin connector from your p/s.

Comment

I guess you need to pull out your meter to figure out if you need 16V caps or 6.3V input VRM caps.

I second that. Pending confirmation from one of our seniors, I guess that you can use the 16v ones without problems if they fit and the ESR and ripple are within specs.
                              • Windows 10 Pro x64
                              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Alright I'll just put four Panasonic FM 2200uF 16V caps as its all I've got in 16v.

As far as voltage testing goes... I dont have a 775 CPU to try it on. Like I said most mobos I've fixed so far were Socket 478s. So how would I test the supplied voltage if there is no cpu to start the mobo?

PS. I have plenty of 3300uf 6.3v Panasonic and Nichicon caps as its all I've seen on most motherboards. Alas they wont be usefull this time.
                                Last edited by swartz; 06-11-2009, 10:08 PM.

Comment

The Intel-based GA-8I945P-series I've got, uses 1500uf 16V Rubicon MBZs, if that is useful. If I remember correctly, there is four of them on that one also.
                                  ------------
                                  Be a mensch

Comment

I have a GA-8IG1000MK here with 3x 1500uF Sanyo WG there.
                                    Individual ESR / Ripple is 0.013 / 2550.
                                    Total ESR / Ripple would be 0.0043 / 7650.
                                    If you take that as a minimum you should be fine.

Fill all 4 spots eguevarae circled though.
                                    The MOSFETS in that 3rd phase are pretty distance from the other two phases and that odd-out cap is probably needed there.
                                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-12-2009, 04:30 AM.
                                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                    -

Comment

The date codes on those Nichicons looks to be mid 2004.
                                      If those are HM series you should replace those while you are at it.
                                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                        Fill all 4 spots eguevarae circled though.
                                        Not my pic or circles. It was taken from post #7 and posted back for clarity purposes.
                                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Working...
                                        X