Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M recap worked but now dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M recap worked but now dead?

Have had the board sitting beside the desk for a while.
    It's got about 7 damaged contacts, and i just got onto ebay and noticed that the socket is for sale, then checked back here, and saw the replies.
    Thankyou

Turning the motherboard over, i see that the opposite side of the socket is soldered where the CPU contacts are, so this socket looks like a through-hole type, with legs.
    Up until now, was thinking about desoldering each of the contacts, removing them with micro tweezers, and then soldering in 'new' ones from another socket.
    Would that be possible? Has it being done before?

Anyway, how to go about completely replacing it with this replacement socket?
    Break out the heat gun,
    heat up the back of the board and check temperature with a thermocouple,
    pull it off,
    clean the area of all the old solder using soldering iron, flux and braid.
    heat it back up again and then pop in the new one?

If the board has lead solder, wouldn't the replacement socket also be presoldered with similar solder?
    Or, does all of the old solder have to be removed first?
    Last edited by socketa; 07-04-2015, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by socketa View Post
      Up until now, was thinking about desoldering each of the contacts, removing them with micro tweezers, and then soldering in 'new' ones from another socket.
      Would that be possible? Has it being done before?
      Hm, you do realize, that sounds VERY tedious!

Originally posted by socketa View Post
      Anyway, how to go about completely replacing it with this replacement socket?
      Break out the heat gun,
      heat up the back of the board and check temperature with a thermocouple,
      pull it off,
      clean the area of all the old solder using soldering iron, flux and braid.
      heat it back up again and then pop in the new one?
      Sounds like a plan to me.
      Just be aware that removing the whole socket at once might be difficult. Every pin would have to be loose (solder melted) in order to remove the socket ... and that thing has a lot of pins!
      You might also be able to use a desoldering iron to desolder each pin. That way you have less of a chance of damaging the PCB by heating it up too much.

-Ben
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I'm sure there is a thread on here, where someone replaced a socket. IIRC they used their IR station to prevent the plastic melting and removed it in one piece.

Comment

looks like i'm dreaming to think that this can be done with a heatgun, as it makes sense that heat needs to be applied from the top side, not the back side.

Comment

Working...
          X