Stupid Intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Intel

My intel D201GLY mobo is quite annoying.
    I'm trying to set up a server for school (I've got the green light to do it from one of the high-level IT people in the school district).
    It would basically be a Windows deployment thing.
    I'll need help setting that up, but step 1 is getting the computer to work.
    And I'm already stuck on that...
    If I try to install XP Pro SP2 it will hang Setup while inspecting my 40GB seagate HDD. If I try Lubuntu or CentOS6 I get a kernel panic

1GB DDR2, Celeron 1.33GHz CPU, 250W PSU,
    what the heck am I doing wrong?!?!

Re: Stupid Intel

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    My intel D201GLY mobo is quite annoying.
    I'm trying to set up a server for school (I've got the green light to do it from one of the high-level IT people in the school district).
    It would basically be a Windows deployment thing.
    I'll need help setting that up, but step 1 is getting the computer to work.
    And I'm already stuck on that...
    If I try to install XP Pro SP2 it will hang Setup while inspecting my 40GB seagate HDD. If I try Lubuntu or CentOS6 I get a kernel panic

1GB DDR2, Celeron 1.33GHz CPU, 250W PSU,
    what the heck am I doing wrong?!?!

I'm not quite following on what you're trying to do but I assume you're having trouble installing to the 40GB drive.

Is the drive clean? usually I've had old drives with bad/corrupt MBR, boot sectors, or partition table that hung the setup or crash the installer and required a zeroing format or DBan to get it to work again.

Comment

What's the kernel panic say? Lots of important information there.

Any bad caps (do we have to ask )?

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
        What's the kernel panic say? Lots of important information there.

Any bad caps (do we have to ask )?
        Nope, lol! The motherboard was NIB off eBay, the PSU is a re-capped (by me) FSP/SPI 250W. The original 250W Lite-On was causign the same problem, that's why I switched to the FSP...

The Kernel Panic on CentOS is different from the one on Lubuntu. Which one do you want?
        Also, the Scroll lock and Num lock lights on my (PS2) keyboard blink after a kernel panic, is that normal?

EDIT: Attached is the CentOS 6 32-bit kernel panic. Sorry about the lousy picture, that was taken with my Acer Iconia Tab A100
        Attached Files
        Last edited by shovenose; 02-22-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

OK, I had a brilliant idea: memtest from CD
          Almost immediately it started flipping out and it said it stopped running because of some unexpected interrupt or something...
          So I tried a 512MB DDR2 instead of a 1GB... So far (3 mins) no memtest issues at all...
          great, so I've established that my computer works.
          No

Now how would I go about this cloning/system image deployment thing?

Comment

Intel isn't the problem, that has an SIS chipset.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

A SiS chipset, bad gramma owl

When you first described those symptoms ram was the first thing that came to mind.

Why would you get such a nasty board? SiS isn't bad but it isn't the best. If you're using it for testing purposes it should be ok. What kind of server is this?
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I have the exact same board.

it ran ubuntu 11.10 with a 1gb module installed without issues other than the worst graphics ever (static everywhere, unusable). I tried a different gpu driver via a PPA which made the 2d performace great but the 3d disabled (open source driver w/o 3d yet).

I doubt your issue described is an SIS problem.

sounds like you have a bad or non-compatible RAM module. The 1gb that worked for me was a PC5300 Corsair module (pulled from my main rig)
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

OK, I had a brilliant idea: memtest from CD
                  Almost immediately it started flipping out and it said it stopped running because of some unexpected interrupt or something...
                  So I tried a 512MB DDR2 instead of a 1GB... So far (3 mins) no memtest issues at all...
                  great, so I've established that my computer works.
                  No

Now how would I go about this cloning/system image deployment thing?

What are you trying to do?

Microsoft Remote Installation Service renamed to Windows Deployment Service for PXE booting machines and installing Windows O/S.
                  There's several ways to do it but it depends on your project goals.

The only downside is you need to setup a AD Controller inorder to use the Deployment service.

Just google "WDS deployment" Hell I think you should read everything you can find on this subject of Windows Deployment service. Also if this server is going to be use to install and maintain multiple machines, having Windows Server Update Service or WSUS wouldn't hurt that way you can have all the machine after install call your wsus server for windows updates instead of calling home to Microsoft and eating precious bandwidth.

You can use gpedit.msc or add registry keys to specify intranet update server; or just use AD server to control your deployment

Be warn if you do go this route the wsus takes a long time to synchronize updates from Microsoft, so choose wisely on products you want to update. My WSUS server has 119GB worth of updates that's just for 2000-7 with Office 2003-2010, and some other bullshit.

Also install Service packs before doing windows updates for whatever retarded reason the automatic updates on computers decide that it should install all the updates then Service Pack then install all the updates for that and so on. Better to do SP then updates much faster and less time consuming.

That's one way to it, the FOG project might be better I've only had a chance to try it once and it wasn't what "I" was looking for.
                  But has more flexible control over whom boots and whom doesn't.

http://www.fogproject.org/?q=node/1

unattended which is an opensource pxe booting unattended installation platform.

http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

A Clonezilla server:
                  http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-SE.php

There's several others.

I've built my own pxe boot server using gpxelinux, apache, a winodws PE cd, samba, and some batch scripts and viola! I have a simple windows network install server. I use it more of a swiss army knife; with a few syslinux binaries, I can boot memtest, dban, clonezilla, live versions of linux, linux installs and so on.

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                  A SiS chipset, bad gramma owl

When you first described those symptoms ram was the first thing that came to mind.

Why would you get such a nasty board? SiS isn't bad but it isn't the best. If you're using it for testing purposes it should be ok. What kind of server is this?
                  I just assume he knew the basics.

Troubleshoot first, if you fail to find the problem then ask for help.
                  Last edited by Mad_Professor; 02-23-2012, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    I have the exact same board.

it ran ubuntu 11.10 with a 1gb module installed without issues other than the worst graphics ever (static everywhere, unusable). I tried a different gpu driver via a PPA which made the 2d performace great but the 3d disabled (open source driver w/o 3d yet).

I doubt your issue described is an SIS problem.

sounds like you have a bad or non-compatible RAM module. The 1gb that worked for me was a PC5300 Corsair module (pulled from my main rig)
                    Intel has a graphics driver for linux you can get on their website...

Comment

.... other than the worst graphics ever (static everywhere, unusable).
                      Excellent example of what I was referring to.
                      They are hit-miss with 2/3 being misses.
                      RD just described a miss. ("unusable video" & RAM issues).
                      SIS has had driver, compatibility, and stability issues with their chipsets since at least their very first IGP - which was socket 7 I think...
                      Video was same problem I had with SIS back in socket-7 so in 10+ years they still haven't figured it out on-board video drivers.

Few (if any) SIS chipsets had everything work out of the box.
                      Video, sound, RAM, IDE, and USB have all been problems at times and it's different for each OS.
                      If you don't use a version of Windows that was current when the chipset was made you have even more chance of problems.
                      SIS doesn't change their chipsets in baby-steps with front/back compatibility like Intel does.
                      They do it big leaps [major changes] so the 'roll back drivers' trick usually doesn't work either.
                      If you look here:
                      http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-008326.htm
                      - The board is only certified to work with XP 32-bit (& same MCE).
                      Being as it's SIS you really shouldn't ~expect~ it to work with anything else without a hassle.
                      I'm not saying you can't make an SIS board work well.
                      But don't expect it to be easy or to work out of the box.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

If I try to install XP Pro SP2 it will hang Setup while inspecting my 40GB seagate HDD.
                        This was probably your clue:
                        ..... while inspecting my 40GB seagate HDD.
                        Drive problem -or- drive compatibility problem.

There have been 13 BIOS updates to that board and most have to do with the SIS chipset.
                        Lots of mods to make video, lan, RAM, and drives work right. [On just THAT board.]

Wouldn't be like that if the SIS chipset adhered to the accepted standards to start with.
                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 02-23-2012, 09:02 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

I'm installing the latest BIOS update right now

It actually performs quite well (on XP Pro) with "384MB" of RAM, an old 5400RPM 40GB Seagate hard drive, and all that

Edit: well at least now it boots up with my 1GB RAM stick in there... but it BSODs almost immediately after starting up. Gonna try some different RAM...
                          Last edited by shovenose; 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                            SIS has had driver, compatibility, and stability issues with their chipsets since at least their very first IGP - which was socket 7 I think...
                            Video was same problem I had with SIS back in socket-7 so in 10+ years they still haven't figured it out on-board video drivers.

Few (if any) SIS chipsets had everything work out of the box.
                            Video, sound, RAM, IDE, and USB have all been problems at times and it's different for each OS.
                            If you don't use a version of Windows that was current when the chipset was made you have even more chance of problems.
                            I would have to agree with you after trying to deal with video and RAM issues on my old Compaq, which uses the SiS 5598 chipset. The driver that Compaq installed at the factory would not allow some video formats to play properly. There is only one newer version of the driver that I could find. This newer version allows videos to play properly, but changing resolutions will sometimes screw up the video signal so the image doesn't fill the entire screen and has bad geometry like the monitor needs adjusted. Also, I only have one stick of RAM that doesn't make this computer unstable.

Comment

It actually performs quite well (on XP Pro) with "384MB" of RAM, an old 5400RPM 40GB Seagate hard drive, and all that.
                              You know I have worked on this board right?
                              How did you get to 384MB RAM when the board only has one RAM slot?

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

You know I have worked on this board right?
                                How did you get to 384MB RAM when the board only has one RAM slot?
                                SiS graphics stole 128MB :P
                                I set graphics to only use 32MB and now I have 476MB :P

In any case, I'm just gonna sell this slow shit on Craiglist... at least I'm trying
                                I'm marketing it as an "energy efficient computer" lol

Comment

SiS graphics stole 128MB
                                  Okay, that makes sense..

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

sense in the way of math, yes

sense in the way of motherboard design, no
                                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Intel has a graphics driver for linux you can get on their website...
                                      which is useless since I have SIS graphics.

If only intel used their own chips on that board

There have been 13 BIOS updates to that board and most have to do with the SIS chipset.
                                      Lots of mods to make video, lan, RAM, and drives work right. [On just THAT board.]

Wouldn't be like that if the SIS chipset adhered to the accepted standards to start with.
                                      Noted, next time I have the board out I will update the bios on mine...
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

which is useless since I have SIS graphics.

If only intel used their own chips on that board

Noted, next time I have the board out I will update the bios on mine...
                                        Yes but it's specifically for that board.
                                        http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...adType=Drivers

Comment

Working...
                                        X