X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
    Bad news on the Sero 7 Pro tablet. While I was shopping for the glass screen, which has since cracked much more due to the kid(s) dropping it, the USB charger port, that was being flakey finally crapped the bed. I ordered a replacement connector for that. I got the wrong one, so I ordered two of the correct part.

As it turns out this particular connector replacement does not seem possible to do with the tiniest conical-pinpoint soldering tip I've got. The connector shell tabs are thru-hole and easy to solder, however the pins on back of connector are apparently to be surface-soldered and do not protrude past the metal cross-piece of the shell running directly above the pins. There is also insufficient clearance between the pins to solder them without bridging solder across them. Combined with two torn up pads and traces for pins which caused the original flakiness and failure of the charge port it made it very difficult-to-impossible to get proper soldered connections. To make matters worse, in my efforts to clean up the solder bridges I inadvertently dislodged three adjacent micro SMD parts and I lost two of them. I have no idea what they are nor their orientation. I also have no tools for properly dealing with SMD parts of this size, they are too small for a soldering my iron tip. Probably need infrared or hot air (?) I'm not experienced a lot with SMD repair (I'm an OLD school, retired tech.) I'm going to have to chalk this up to needing a new motherboard.

Therein lies the problem. I can't find a NEW motherboard for the M470BSA, all I can locate are used, salvaged, not guaranteed to work, as-is, blah blah blah boards. so the project is reluctantly tabled until a known-working board becomes available.
    You can't fix these things! Its bin food.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

More of a question than bragging...
      I acquired an EM-Tech EM-200 satellite receiver from my sister's husband. I think he mentioned it was used as a satellite decoder. Anyone know if it still good for anything?
      All I can gather is that it is not HD. But that is fine by me. I just want to know if I can use it with a dish to catch some sat TV channels anymore.

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
      Free pair of ATH-M30x headphones with carrying bag but a broken connector.
      Nice score.
      40 Ohms impedance and 1500 mW input power - sounds good to me (pardon the pun ).

Originally posted by goontron
      As gloomy as this may sound... all I have to say is: +1

I refuse to work on tablets and smart phones. Already had hell of a time trying to upgrade the memory on a Acer netbook today. Had to pry the keyboard so hard that I inevitably bent it a bit. No screws, latches only. And I hate latches. Sure was easy putting back together, though.
      Last edited by momaka; 08-20-2015, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

I found a Dell M782 17" CRT monitor a few days ago.

I know, who picks up CRTs anymore, right?
        Frankly, if I was back at home, I wouldn't either. Not a 17" anyways. But I am at my grandmother's countryside house where I only have an old 17" HP A4032A CRT monitor that is really starting to show its age. Upgrading to anything newer would be pointless, since I only have a Pentium 3 PC to go with that monitor.

I still haven't brought the monitor home and checked if it works, though. My parents were in the house that week, and they hate me bringing these things in, so what I did instead is take a nylon trash bag and put the monitor in it. Then, since the dumpster was close to the end of the village, I simply took the monitor with me and walked about 1/4 mile further out and left the monitor in the trash bag and into a bush near the river. Hopefully no one finds it. The gypsies tend to take anything that has metal in it, especially copper. And CRTs have quite a bit of that in the yoke.

Anyways, so when I get back in a week or so, hopefully it will still be there... and working too. But it's a 17" Sony Trinitron underneath IIRC, so I doubt it wouldn't. Those small Sony CRT monitors tend to last forever. The HP A4032A is 20 years old now. If it wasn't for the messed up horizontal brightness, I wouldn't mind still using it. That, and the fact that it has BNC inputs only, so I need to use software such as Power Strip to force it to display at refresh rates higher than 60 Hz.
        Last edited by momaka; 08-20-2015, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Someone is offering a working (at least that's what he says) iiyama vision master Pro 454.
          http://www.cnet.com/products/iiyama-...-series/specs/

I think it's worth the fuel to go and take it. We will see.

Comment

if you find 20" or 26" crt's the arcade collectors will buy them.
            they use them to replace ones that have screenburn.

Comment

this?
              http://www.sat-receiver-world.com/cl...-em-200-2.html

it should be fine for free tv.

Comment

Picked up a Humax Foxsat HDR 320GB Twin Tuner for £5.50 last sunday, which was probably the best of the bunch of stuff I got.

All working too with remote

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                  Yes indeed. However I am looking for a known good replacement board.

Comment

Found this a few weeks ago, finally got around to taking a look at it. Figured the caps were blown or something.

The amp, 500 watts. Dirty as hell, some peeling plastic. Covered in greasy dust.

Caps all look brand new. I was expecting a total mess.

The reason I found it in the dumpster:

I opened it up, made sure European neutral wasn't bonded to ground in the case. Then I cut the plug off, installed a US 240v plug and it works great! Lucky me I have an unused 240 drop in the garage.

The pots are a bit gritty, need some cleaning and one pot (that I'll never use) is broken, but it sounds amazing.
                    Attached Files

Comment

how big is that, 15" or 18" ? because 500w is a lot for one speaker!

Comment

15" woofer plus what looks like a dual coil horn. 500 watts is listed on the back, its apparently consumption. Just found the spec sheet, its actually 150rms to the speakers. Still pretty darn loud, I haven't turned it up all the way.

Totally suitable to play some tunes for me when I burn some lead in the garage. Maybe I'll even clean it off.

Now I need to find something that can run Pandora headless. Maybe a raspberry pi or something.

Comment

pandora?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            pandora?
                            http://www.pandora.com/

Its a streaming music service.

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                              http://www.pandora.com/

Its a streaming music service.
                              lol
                              it says to fuckoff because i'm not from the right cuntry!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                lol
                                it says to fuckoff because i'm not from the right cuntry!
                                I needed a good laugh, thanks, LOL

Comment

I love that crap. But I have the feeling 'tube removed this as I have not run into this stupid message for a long time with any video…
                                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                    Someone is offering a working (at least that's what he says) iiyama vision master Pro 454.
                                    http://www.cnet.com/products/iiyama-...-series/specs/

I think it's worth the fuel to go and take it. We will see.
                                    I got it yesterday. It works and the picture is PERFECT!
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice monitor!
                                      Where I am right now, there's an office building selling 21" Fujitsu CRT monitors (actually Hitachi SuperScan 814) for about $7 a pop. It would be nice to get one, but I'd have to drive and I don't have a car here. Those are seriously awesome monitors, though. If you see one, definitely snag it. It doesn't have a flat glass screen, but it can do 1600 x 1200 @ 100 Hz and 2048 x 1536 @ 75 Hz. Or my favorite resolution... 1024 x 768 @ 150 Hz!

Comment

The iiyama 454 does 1600 x 1200 @ 100 Hz and the image is perfectly readable without ghosting or blurriness. I tried 2048 x 1536 too but I didn't check the refresh rate. Surely it was lower than 85Mhz though.

21" CRT? I would definitely pick those! The largest CRT PC screen I got is a 20inch SONY Trinitron made in 1998/1999. Its image is not great though, maybe its needs recap or re-calibrating.. Unfortunately there is not time for this.

Comment

Me wanna those 21'' ones! I like 1920x1440@85 Hz! My current SyncMaster 1200NF is PoS…I have to finally repair those two I have thread about here…somewhere…
                                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                                          X