X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recapped MSI 865 Neo2-V onboard LAN and PCI slots not working yet

This motherboard :
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/865PE-...l#/?div=Detail
    MSI 865 Neo2 -V was fully reccaped because it was full of plagued capacitors. Before recapping it was unstable or sometimes with no POST, after recapp done now it is rock stable. USB, AGP, onboard audio, SATA, IDE works without problem. Onboard LAN is grayed out in BIOS(you can't enable/disable) and none of PCI slots is working. Can someone point me what can be the problem because I alredy tried different BIOS. I have stable 3.3V on PCI slots. Maybe ICH5 part is fried and there is no possibility to reapir it ? Anyone to suggest me something..

Re: Recapped MSI 865 Neo2-V onboard LAN and PCI slots not working yet

What caps did you use, brand and series, where did you buy them?
    Which ones did you replace? Photos of the actual board and recap would be helpful to many here.
    High res and close-ups where needed are a must! Photos of your solder work can also be helpful.

No, this would never be a BIOS issue. Unless it were an issue of corrupted NVRAM settings, which a simple cmos clear will fix. Although using the jumper is, well... mediocre at best! I short the terminals of the battery, which I remove, with a paperclip overnight, or at least 30m-1hr, preferably an hr to be safe on the minimum. Jumper stays in normal position for this.
    But I myself have never seen the entire PCI bus conk out from a BIOS/CMOS issue in nearly 20yrs of professional PC repair and IT work. And I have seen many a head scratcher! But I have learned to never discount or underestimate ways in which things can fail or go wrong. If the bus worked before the recap, then It's definitely an issue with that and the above info will be needed to further help you.
    How to properly apply thermal grease - Y_not's way.

Comment

Recapping is good, so problem is not with big electrolytes, I replaced all of them. Problem is that all PCI slots and onboard LAN is not working, same as before. Problem is on some other part, maybe LAN died and is shorting some signal to PCI slots, or some mosfet. My question is what else to check when I have 3.3V on PCI slots, but some signal is missing? Maybe southbridge is broken internally ?

Comment

So was it doing this before you recapped it?

Again, having photos would help a ton!
        Plus, it'd sure be nice to know the answers to some of my initial questions. I know you say the caps are good that you replaced the old ones with, but these are the cap experts here and it helps us to know what you're working with. Also, there are a lot of fakes out there.

Lastly, I'm not even remotely an expert at diagnosing circuits so I really can't help on that level as I'm still learning myself. But I do know enough to help out where I can.

I would say, let us know what sort of testing you have done so far with the likes of tracing out the current flow on the PCI bus, along with the results of your testing.
        Last edited by y_not; 08-08-2013, 03:33 AM.
        How to properly apply thermal grease - Y_not's way.

Comment

No caps behind inductors, probably only good replacement is same manufacturer, same serie, and same capacitance...

And yes, yor problems are still related to bad caps, or bad soldering...

Comment

Working...
          X