Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

half-dead Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (Rev. 2.0)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

half-dead Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (Rev. 2.0)

hi there

i've got a problem with my Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Rev. 2.0 i recently cleaned up.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...1038#post50942

always gives me 1 long and 2 short beeps. (AMI BIOS)
    this means its a graphics card problem (no gfx card found or faulty).
    the problem is that i tried 5 different (known good) cards. AGP & PCI. none of them works

weird thing is that it doesn't beep at all if i put some MDT 512MB DDR333/PC2700 RAM sticks in there. it only beeps with either my Kingston 512MB DDR400/PC3200 or my 512MB Elixir (same speed). o.O

i switched everything (PSU/CPU/RAM/gfx card) but its either beeping or completely dead. (all test components (except the board itself) are known to work fine)

for now i put my attention on the caps.

is has OSTs for VRM out and KZEs for VRM in. rest of the caps are all Rubycon YXG. none of them visibly failed, but i don't have an ESR meter so i can't test them now

impressions (after cleaning)

and the RAM sticks used for testing...

i suspect those OSTs but i dont have matching caps here now and i dont wanna squeeze bigger caps (can size) in there..

any suggestions what to look for!?

Patrik

Re: half-dead Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (Rev. 2.0)

Try with only the MDT memory installed.
    Tell me the result.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

I agree with PcBonez: the chipset may not recognize the newer chips so use the older PC2700 sticks.
      If it doesn't beep with these, there is a chance the board can successfully check the memory and a later test fails: the so called "post cards" shows the diagnostic step the motherboard is executing, they aren't always accurate but may give you some indications.

Zandrax
      Have an happy life.

Comment

With only the MDT sticks it simply does nothing. no beep, no POST.

i already thought about buying one of those POST test cards for some other half-dead boards (including a rather expensive Gigabyte G33M-DS2R which only beeps with an undocumented beep code) ...

Comment

measure vagp.
          had 1 board with a shorted ost there and same symptom.
          across the caps nearest the slot.

Comment

1,508V
            mhh...

Comment

thats fine if a 1.5v card is installed.

Comment

Another idea: clear the cmos to avoid invalid settings blocking the post.

Zandrax
                Have an happy life.

Comment

@ zandrax: did that already... i'm running out of options

@kc8adu: measured the voltage with my test-card installed (FX5200 -> 1,5V)

Comment

i think that to fix some things you need repair manual: are they making manuals for these things at all, or are they being made in such rapid succession that there's no time for it....(?)
                    anybody ever saw repair manual for mobo?

Comment

They don't distribute them.
                      Don't want other companies stealing their ideas.
                      Don't even think they print them.
                      Probably just use engineering schematics in-house.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

maybe someone flashed the wrong bios?
                        i have seen boards with corrupt or wrong bios act posessed.

Comment

@ kc8adu: well.. i don't know the previous owner, but that could be the reason.

i just bought a POST Test card on ebay because i have 4 boards acting weird (undocumented beep codes or half-dead like this board)..

i'll try to hotflash the bios later (after i tested it with the POST card)
                          as the bios chip used on this board is the same as on my ASRock board (SST 49LF004A 4MBit) this shouldn't be a problem...

edit: i also have 2 other compatible BIOS chips here to play around with.. (SST 49LF004A and 49LF004B)
                          Last edited by Scenic; 06-13-2008, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Do you have check the temp. of northbridge and southbridge chips when power up the board(check the temp by your finger is ok)? The temp is normal or extermely hot?

Ans also check the voltage of the mosfet in photo, it seems a little brun.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Big Pope; 06-14-2008, 01:01 AM.
                            My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

The 1200/16 KZEs that I have are green-sleeved, not brown. The font and shield legends have finer lines on the green KZEs. Are the brown ones genuine? If so, are they subcontracted from Korea Chemicon or Sam Young? Inquiring minds want to know...

Comment

Both Brown and Green are legit colors for KZE.
                                I have two cases of 'old stock' green ones that came in sealed Chemicon packaging but I've also seen brown ones on newer Intel and Tyan boards and in various newer PSU's.
                                I think they just changed the color at some point to look more like their other series'.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post

always gives me 1 long and 2 short beeps. (AMI BIOS)
                                  That's a RAM bleep code.
                                  (I got that one when upgrading the RAM from 5 GB to 8 GB on my Asus Maximus II Gene.)
                                  (Even though the Maximus II Gene usually just sits at a black screen when the RAM isn't in right.)
                                  It meant I had to reseat the RAM many times before I got the 8 GB I was looking for.
                                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-05-2015, 05:27 PM.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                  X