why the f...? (HP Asus IPIBL-LA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why the f...? (HP Asus IPIBL-LA)

Would I get called to a house that has a computer thats having problem with the time resetting

I replace the CMOS battery, go into the yard and blow it out with a little half used up air can. Bring it in, Second I press the button, the fans spin for half a second. Never turns on again

looks like something I did to the customer. Frankly, i'm not sure what the hell is wrong

It is a Nforce chipset, but has been working for several years with NO hardware problems. It is a IPIBL-LA board, with some KGZ's on the input VRM. Everything else Rubys and Pannys
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: why the fuck?

So there is no power?
    Check that 5vsb is present and there are no shorts on the rails
    My pc
    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Ah, the old "has a problem but it didn't know it until you showed it to it".
      Yippeee!! I just love those! *sarcasm*

I have been bit by those a few times, it's nooooooo fun @ all!
      I feel for ya man.

Reseat all components, check the obvious junk and start swapping components. Start with the PSU.
      Do you have an ESR meter to check those KZGs with?
      How to properly apply thermal grease - Y_not's way.

Comment

Did you poke anything on the board? Checked to make sure all connectors are seated properly? Tried putting the old battery back in? Checked PSU voltages? Reseated memory, and/or CPU? And the list goes on...
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Sounds like you may have dislodged something when you opened it up.. given that it was booting before it was opened, it's probably related... . reseat memory, graphics card (if it's not onboard), cables... check voltages coming from PSU.

If the voltages from the PSU are good, try reseating the graphics card a few times. Check the voltage on the new battery.

That should give you a fair idea as to whats going on.
          Last edited by JonathanAnon; 07-20-2013, 08:12 AM.

Comment

no no people. by the time I made this post, I had it out of the case, hooked up to a different power supply, with the video card and all other cards out (does have integrated video)

Comment

I replaced those caps with Pannys and same thing, also replaced the tiny NB vrm in caps. I get a single 'tick' from the onboard PC speaker, I've seen this before, and I believe someone here knows something more about this particular problem. Is it a power reg?

Comment

OH yes, in addition, as a note. It has a Lite-on HP PSU with a LED on the back. When I would hit the power button, the light would turn off for a second while it was trying to power up. Could this indicate a short on the board?

Comment

WOOOAH update! Took the CPU (Q6600) out and it turned on. Dropped a P4 in there but no go (still stayed on). Probably this board can't take a P4, and I have no Core 2's i'm not using. Errr, hmm, well, I might after all

Comment

ok, just took my E6750 out of my media box and tried it and same power problem. Tried the Q6600 on my media box and it works fine. gotta be a bad board. I have another HP board here with what looks like exact same mosfets, wonder if I should try to salvage them

Comment

Re: why the fuck? (HP Asus IPIBL-LA)

I just bought an ipibl-la that was bad on ebay paid just $5.

First thing I did was take a toothbrush and a container of 91% alcohol and removed the north and south bridge heatsinks. Drenched the board front and back and brushed every square inch.

Waited a few hours and popped a e6750 in there and it posted video over integrated first time.

Now it won't post lmao and all the caps look good.... Any ideas?? Replace caps anyway ??

Thanks

Comment

You might still have some alcohol under the electrolytic capacitors. The bungs act like sponges and wick up the moisture. Could also be alcohol under some chips. Put a fan on the mobo and wait a couple more days. Never use tooth brushes on tiny smd parts, way too easy to break loose from the solder pads. Use a soft makeup brush dipped in solvent.

Comment

Yeah? Thx I know it posted prior to modding the socket to lga771 for my Xeon... Posted the e6750 first try.

Very stumped because all pins r good.....

I'll post pics soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                            When I would hit the power button, the light would turn off for a second while it was trying to power up. Could this indicate a short on the board?
                            Possibly.
                            Check the voltage on the CPU VRM output with a multimeter. Is it what it should be?

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                            I have another HP board here with what looks like exact same mosfets, wonder if I should try to salvage them
                            It may not be related to the METs. Take out the CPU and check resistance between CPU Vcore and ground. Without the CPU, it should measure at least several hundred Ohms or more (unless the NB is powered from the CPU Vcore too - but that's rare). Got pictures of the board? I know I can find them online, but it's always good to see exactly what you are working with.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              It may not be related to the METs. Take out the CPU and check resistance between CPU Vcore and ground. Without the CPU, it should measure at least several hundred Ohms or more (unless the NB is powered from the CPU Vcore too - but that's rare). Got pictures of the board? I know I can find them online, but it's always good to see exactly what you are working with.
                              You know you quoted a 1.5 year old post?
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^ 0.o
                                And you just quoted the guy who quoted a 1.5 year old post
                                Yeah good catch. I shouldn't have assumed the thread was all recent just because it was recently replied to. My bad.

Comment

Possibly.
                                  Check the voltage on the CPU VRM output with a multimeter. Is it what it should be?

Mine boots up no beeps with no ram or cpu installed. I use it as a ADD2PSU basically so it requires like 1W to run the 1000W PSU for my other rig's (3) GPU(s).

Anyway I'd like to get it to post. It posted prior to the lga775 to lga771 mod. I removed the tabs in the socket with an exacto knife. I do this all the time no issues. I didn't damage any pin(s).

Would it be safe to try and bake it at what 350F for about 5-8 minutes? In case of a potential bad solder joint?

I'll take pics and post them of the board in high def.

Thanks

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/h5k...7it9aay/shared

Last edited by chris89; 01-15-2015, 11:04 AM.

Comment

*edit*
                                    I see your board has quite a few bad capacitors on it.Those need to be replaced before anything else.
                                    Also, please attach pictures with the forum's built-in feature.

Originally posted by chris89 View Post
                                    Mine boots up no beeps with no ram or cpu installed.
                                    That's not a very useful test, though.
                                    You need CPU and RAM as a minimum to test it (some motherboards will also require a fan to be connected on the CPU FAN connector). If the board turns ON and then turns OFF quickly afterwards, then it could very well be a MOSFET on the CPU VRM. Without CPU and RAM, most motherboards will refuse to output proper voltages for Vcore and Vram.

Anyway I'd like to get it to post. It posted prior to the lga775 to lga771 mod. I removed the tabs in the socket with an exacto knife. I do this all the time no issues. I didn't damage any pin(s).
                                    I'm sure you know how to do the 775>771 mod, since you've probably done it before, but just make sure your LGA771 CPU is oriented the correct way . I know - common sense, but I've overlooked similar simple stuff like that before myself and then wondered why the thing isn't working.

Would it be safe to try and bake it at what 350F for about 5-8 minutes? In case of a potential bad solder joint?
                                    No, do NOT bake PC motherboards unless you remove all of the caps. Otherwise you will pop those caps and that can cause more problems than it fixes.
                                    If you want to try and reflow the CPU socket, you could use a heat gun. Harbor Freight Tools often has one for around $10 on sale and Micro Center has one for under $20 IIRC.
                                    Just make sure to do the reflow from the undeside of the board so you don't melt the plastic on the socket. You will also need some no-clean liquid or paste flux. Do NOT use plumber's flux.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 01-15-2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

*edit*
                                      I see your board has quite a few bad capacitors on it.Those need to be replaced before anything else.
                                      Also, please attach pictures with the forum's built-in feature.

That's not a very useful test, though.
                                      You need CPU and RAM as a minimum to test it (some motherboards will also require a fan to be connected on the CPU FAN connector). If the board turns ON and then turns OFF quickly afterwards, then it could very well be a MOSFET on the CPU VRM. Without CPU and RAM, most motherboards will refuse to output proper voltages for Vcore and Vram.

I'm sure you know how to do the 775>771 mod, since you've probably done it before, but just make sure your LGA771 CPU is oriented the correct way . I know - common sense, but I've overlooked similar simple stuff like that before myself and then wondered why the thing isn't working.

No, do NOT bake PC motherboards unless you remove all of the caps. Otherwise you will pop those caps and that can cause more problems than it fixes.
                                      If you want to try and reflow the CPU socket, you could use a heat gun. Harbor Freight Tools often has one for around $10 on sale and Micro Center has one for under $20 IIRC.
                                      Just make sure to do the reflow from the undeside of the board so you don't melt the plastic on the socket. You will also need some no-clean liquid or paste flux. Do NOT use plumber's flux.
                                      Thanks I'm surprised you named off some Missouri specific businesses unless I guess they are in fact nation wide or mid west.

Anyway thanks yeah originally posted first try e6750 1 stick of ram. With CPU and ram same e6750 and ram in slot 1 it boots and stays running.

Maybe my cleaner didn't fully dry but its odd I cleaned it let it dry first then it posted first try.

Pulled CPU ram to test another board and since hasn't posted. I'm thinking its guck or dirt bridging connections somewhere. What's a safe solvent to submerge the board in for 24 hours? Then allow to dry for 24 hours? I'm not entirely certain but my gut tells me it needs s thorough cleansing and rinse/ purification.

Thanks

Comment

Pulled CPU ram to test another board and since hasn't posted. I'm thinking its guck or dirt bridging connections somewhere. What's a safe solvent to submerge the board in for 24 hours? Then allow to dry for 24 hours? I'm not entirely certain but my gut tells me it needs s thorough cleansing and rinse/ purification.

Thanks
                                        As momaka said,replace those bulging capacitors you have on the board and then start troubleshooting, Especially replace the ones around the northbridge,as I've had a board unable to boot due to bulging capacitors around the Northbridge.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                        X