Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new HDD overheats in Dell Inspiron 5520

Dear the forum members,

I have bought a new HDD for my Laptop and I have the old HDD too. both the HDDs are tested healthy after surface scanning.
    The old HDD works fine with a temperature of about 37'C at idle time. when I do mild copying on it, its temperature rises up to about 40'C.
    The new HDD works fine with a temperature of about 38'C at idle time. But when I do mild copying on it, its temperature rises to about 48'C and it tends to go higher.

Is my new HDD defective considering its overheating when copying?

thanks

Laptop Model: Dell Inspiron 5520

Old HDD Model: Seagate momentus 5400.6 , 5400rpm, 500GB, 2.5" with 9.5mm thickness, it was used for three years.

New HDD Model: Toshiba MQ01ABF032 , 320GB, 5400rpm, 2.5" with 7mm thickness, it is a refurbished HDD made in 2013 with less than an hour of operation.

Note: this laptop does not have a fan or heat sink for HDD.
    Last edited by caspian; 10-30-2018, 12:36 PM.

Re: The new HDD overheats in Dell Inspiron 5520

2 things,
    you didnt list the relative spin-speeds,
    and IMO there is no such thing as refurbished.
    they just erase them, test them and wipe the dust off!!

Comment

ok, I edited the first post.
      Is this overheating a common fault in Toshiba HDDs?
      Is it normal to overheat like this when it has normal copying?

the old HDD does not overheat under any kind of copying.
      Last edited by caspian; 10-30-2018, 12:39 PM.

Comment

well they can get hot -not sure how hot.
        have you searched for datasheets?

Comment

datasheet of any HDD says normal operating temperature is 25'C-55'C. But I read a temperature higher than 45'C is bad for HDDs.
          I do not know why my old 9mm HDD's temperature does not exceed 42'C even under heavy copying, whereas my new 7mm HDD's temperature exceeds 48'C even under mild copying.
          Even after copying is finished, my new HDD's temperature does not get colder after lots of minutes, unless I turn it off.
          are all 7mm HDDs so weak so that they overheat?
          or
          Is my HDD defective?

Comment

The Toshiba is a lower power HDD, it should run cooler?
            MQ01 spec is 1.5W during read/write, 0.55W idle.
            Seagate 5400.6 spec is ~2.6W during read/write, 0.81W idle. 0.22W standby.

Comment

it may be due to the fact that the old 9mm HDD has two platters so that the tasks are divided between them. thus each platter has got less tasks to do. this may be a reason why they run cooler.
              If anyone has got a laptop with a 9mm or 7mm HDD, please report the HDD's working temperature at idle times and copying times.
              In this way, I may reach a general conclusion on temperature of 9mm or 7mm HDDs.

Comment

temp of disc is in tolerance of datasheet so there's no fault

Comment

I do also think that this temperature is no problem, HDD in my Desktop got over 60 degrees C and works fine

Comment

But I read somewhere that HDDs that operate above 45'C, have a higher failure rate. I think this is true. Probably, some part of HDD is sensitive to heat.
                    I think 60'C is a horrible temperature for HDD. you have to screw the HDD tightly to the metal case so that the case can absorb the HDD's heat. If it was not enough, put some big heat sink on the HDD.
                    Last edited by caspian; 11-01-2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
                      I do not know why my old 9mm HDD's temperature does not exceed 42'C even under heavy copying, whereas my new 7mm HDD's temperature exceeds 48'C even under mild copying.
                      Welcome to modern tech, where things are built down to a price with little or no thought to how they behave in any real world situation. 48C isn't too unusual for a laptop HDD, they do tend to run hotter than desktop drives.

Will it affect the life? Nobody knows, I've got drives here that run at that sort of temperature and are still going 8 years later.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/temp...run-81401.html

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
                        But I read somewhere that HDDs that operate above 45'C, have a higher failure rate. I think this is true. Probably, some part of HDD is sensitive to heat.
                        I think 60'C is a horrible temperature for HDD. you have to screw the HDD tightly to the metal case so that the case can absorb the HDD's heat. If it was not enough, put some big heat sink on the HDD.

Indeed the HDD shows already signs of mechanical wear and is pretty slow..the reason is a bad heat Management inside my G5 Hackintosh case.
                        But I will install a new HDD and a fan, too.

Comment

48°C should still be fine. But yes, those thing should be kept cool. 60°C is not good on the other hand.
                          When not actively cooled the HDD I've seen are usually 37°C to 47°C depending on the load, sometimes they peak a bit higher. In a cold environment and idle they can be below 35°C.
                          The hottest one I've seen was always around 55°C, it was still working perfectly fine though.
                          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Hello,
                            Just got. an Acer 5740G with a 320gb 5400rpm harddrive in it - temp = 46 *C in idle state, so don‘t mind

Comment

thanks
                              would you mention the make and model of the HDD from the Device-Manager please?

Comment

of Course:

https://www.cnet.com/products/hgst-t...-series/specs/

HGST Travelstar 5K320 - hts543232l9a300

320GByte / 5400 rpm / SATA-2

manufactured by WD, as it seems

Comment

Working...
                                X