Board capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Board capacitors

Hey guys this might be a stupid question but I want to know if it's even possible before attempting... I have two exact tv boards they both are not working. One has two bad popped capacitors and I don't know what's wrong with the other one. My question is can I cut at the curve ( see pictures) the two capacitors that are good on one board and cut out the ones that are bad leaving the two legs and Solder it to make them "like new" capacitors. I know it might sound confusing it's just if I remove the soldered legs won't be long enough so I am trying I use the good capacitors into the old capacitor legs ... I am attaching a picture
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Samantha143; 07-09-2017, 05:43 PM.

Re: Board capacitors

The term is "solder".

Comment

Surely if you are removing the caps from one identical board to swap into another in the identical position the 90 degree bend in the cap legs will fit the board perfectly so they don't need cutting ?

Comment

dont cut anything .. just put new ones in there .unless you are in a rush and have a proper cap tester .

Comment

Thank you cliff.. not sure why my auto correct was replacing it with that word. ��*♀️

Comment

So you wouldn't recommend removing them from the old board even if they are the same ??

Comment

No problem, Lord only knows how many times "auto-correct" has changed my wording.
              Sure you could cut the leads, but if they are the same exact boards and the caps are the exact same value, why not just de-solder both pair and solder in the "good" caps in place of the "popped" ones?

Comment

If you cut the caps at the bend and try to resolder, the lead sticking up might drop down through the hole once you heat it up making it even more difficult. Easier to remove the cap by pulling up on the body while heating the bottom pad. Be careful not to splash solder into your eyes. Though swapping caps from another board may seem like a quick test, the more you remove and replace parts, the more likely you are to cause damage. Better to just order and replace with new caps from Digikey.
                Last edited by neilc6; 07-09-2017, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X