Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorted resistor replacement

Hi,

Problem: I am trying to repair an LCD monitor and i came across a "shorted" resistor (see enclosed photo). I am trying to find a replacement resistor but i am having problems. From the color code (red, black, white, gold) the value of the resistor is 20000MegOhm........but this does not seem right. Seems to high.

Am i reading it wrong?

Could have resistor gotten "burned" and changed the colors?

With a resistor that high why even have one in the circuit. YOu cant find a resistor with that high a value on digikey.

Can anyone help?
    Attached Files

Re: Shorted resistor replacement

Shorted resistor? No. Resistors go up in value.

I'm guessing your reading 0.2Ω and thinking shorted. It's likely a 0.2Ω resistor and the silver band looks white. Red(2) - Black(0) - Silver(x.01) - Gold(5%)

That also looks to be a carbon resistor, which is a no-no in modern electronics. Fire hazard. If that were truly burned-up, it would show it.

Toast
    veritas odium parit

Comment

Your correct. The resistor does measure 0.2ohm.

But from the picture the "white" band sure does look white.......doesnt it?

Thanks. What you have said makes sense. Guess i keep looking for something else to be the problem.

Comment

Could be a choke, the colour codes seems the wrong way for a resistor..

Comment

That looks like a really old style resistor, especially for an LCD.

Is the board marked with anything underneath to suggest if it's a resistor or choke?
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
          X