Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farewell, Minidisc

http://www.myce.com/news/sony-to-qui...players-65972/

I remember seeing an MiniDisc data drive being used in The Matrix.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Farewell, Minidisc

I did not know that they were still in production. I always wanted this technology, but it was way too expensive when it came out. I finally acquired several portable MD player/recorders and 1 MD home deck over the last 2 to 3 years. Very interesting and cool technology!

Comment

Interesting. I only remember Sony discontinuing the MiniDisc Walkman stuff in 2011. Even earlier, U.S. popularity really fell in 2006, mainly because of the unstable SonicStage software used with NetMD units, especially v3. The 1:1 recorders were mostly fine, but the copy protection...

That was mostly defeated by getting an MZ-RH1/MZ-M200 recorder, but they are in high demand even today. Otherwise, you were stuck recording 1:1 through an analog cable to another source.

---

I have a few MiniDisc recorders and players, and my first one was an MZ-DN430 NetMD player from Christmas 2005. (Mom always found some interesting stuff.) This particular unit was not well-thought out, as you actually needed the AA battery to transfer music to the disc. Sucks when you run out of battery power in the process! It's also been dropped a few times, and it still works perfectly!

Then in May 2012, I revisited my first player and decided to buy a few others, and in the process, I ran into a Sony MZ-N510 MiniDisc recorder w/o mic input that had the Dell and the Windows Server 2003 logos on the front, next to the controls, near mint. Got that one. I now have a total of around nine devices.

I will probably revisit them again after I get some more old computers running. I have quite a few MD74 and MD80 discs, around 65 of them IIRC. Two are bad, 16 are used, and at least half of the disc collection are still sealed. I also obtained the original lens and head cleaner. And I somehow cannot find two home-recorded MD74s, lol. I'll find them someday.
      Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
      I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Still have my first minidisc player from '97. This thread made me pull it out of its hiding place and dust it off. Still works like a charm! Unfortunately, I have no use for it anymore. It was my pre-mp3 mix tape maker.

Comment

Found a used Minidisc Walkman (MZ-NE410) for $1.50 today. Had a Sony Premium 74 Minidisc in it too. Too bad it was filled with ghetto rap (over 2 hours of it).

The goodwill assumed it was an armband radio...

Not sure what I'll do with it, but for $1.50, why the heck not?
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
          X