No announcement yet.

Unable to access NETGEAR WGR614v7 browser user interface after resetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unable to access NETGEAR WGR614v7 browser user interface after resetting

Originally posted by stj View Post
    btw, Bahamut could sell you cheap caps - i'm surprised he hasnt offered yet.
    Thank's for personal messing me but are the capacitors offered of good quality.
    Last edited by Captain Bill grace digger; 12-14-2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Hey I cannot watch everything ya know

I got Chemi-Cons KZM 470/6.3, even slightly better than FR. From the picture, you can also fit D8x12-15 cap bent 90°. Or put two 470uF in parallel, in the second vacant spot too.
      Last edited by Behemot; 12-15-2017, 06:44 AM.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Is it true that if I use an old router it will be less prone to hacking like my NETGEAR WGR614v7 router as I read somewhere that old computers and old computer hardware like floppy disks, routers etc. are less prone to hacking.
        Last edited by Captain Bill grace digger; 12-22-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

the fewer fancy "features" the smaller the attack surface is.
          best to use open source firmware on it and keep up on any patches.
          i also disable config via wifi.
          this forces a wouldbe attacker to gain wired access to even try.

Originally posted by Captain Bill grace digger View Post
          Is it true that if I use an old router it will be less prone to hacking like my NETGEAR WGR614v7 router as I read somewhere that old computers and old computer hardware like floppy disks, routers etc. are less prone to hacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Bill grace digger View Post
            No. This is a misconception based on a lack of understanding of technology and how it can be (ab)used.

Once an exploit is known, it can be catalogued and then called up as needed and applied to whichever target is of interest. E.g., you can design a web site to look at the browser being used (not just rely on the information that the browser provides to identify itself -- cuz that can be spoofed) and deliver a customized page designed to confound that particular client at that particular time. Another client accessing the same page could receive a different payload tailored to his vulnerabilities.

Likewise, your host(s) can be probed to determine which services are running and those services probed to determine their vulnerabilities.

Even basic network traffic can reveal the identity of the OS that is behind it.

My "secure" laptop (e-commerce) is a stripped down system with no extraneous applications, no unnecessary services, etc. And, it has no persistent storage! Turn it off and the system forgets every exploit that may have been (successfully) targeted at it while it was running. Turn it back on and the effects of the exploit are gone, completely.

I.e., you use it for a specific purpose and then turn it off. You forego the convenience of checking your mail, opening PDF's, surfing the web, etc. in order to maximize its resilience.

Machines on which I want that sort of convenience trade it for a complete absence of any information/access that an attacker might want. So, if ever successfully breached, I am forced to reload all of those applications (from the disk image that I made when I built the machine -- a 15 minute recovery effort).

As a result, I don't have to stay current with the latest "security updates" from OS vendors. Nor perpetually update all of the applications I've installed. Nor worry about 0-day exploits! And, I don't take the performance hit of running (and keeping up-to-date) an AV/ID product.

[C'mon, computers are cheap enough that if you can't afford to have one for on-line use and one for REAL use, off-line, you're not trying very hard! ]

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
              the fewer fancy "features" the smaller the attack surface is.
              best to use open source firmware on it and keep up on any patches.
              FOSS isn't a panacea as evidenced by the vulnerability in the HTTPd of his WGR614

One of the problems with FOSS is that folks don't think they need to understand the technology in order to benefit (in terms of savings in development costs) from using the existing codebase. That's why you see TV's (and other "smart" appliances) that crash -- cuz the code wasn't designed to run on an appliance! Or, in a potentially "hostile" environment.

[I.e., the folks using/deploying the code never take the time to read through it with an eye towards understanding its limitations and how it can fail]

Comment

Working...
              X