some dead capacitors in a 9v 2.6A power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some dead capacitors in a 9v 2.6A power supply

Hello, i have a [i think] 10 year old power supply.

This power supply has been waiting to be repaired for 8 years now.

i opened it up to see what went wrong and i noticed that 2 1000uf 16V caps had vented and a 220uf 35v cap was on the verge of venting.

Capacitors brand: suncap

I had 2 power supply's of this kind but the other one was in WAY worse condition so i scrapped it.

Now with this one removing the caps may be a bit tricky do to how everything is arranged inside and because there's this weird rubbery glue holding them down.

Finding the right caps to replace the dead ones in here will be tricky too since the caps can only have a max diameter of 10mm and a max height of 15mm [if i want to get it back into it's original case.]
    If i was to guess why the cap failed in the first place i would say it was because of the capacitor plague.
    Here's a photo of the caps...

Also the legs on the transistor in front of the caps look rusty.
    Thanks
    Attached Files
    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Re: some dead capacitors in a 9v 2.6A power supply

I can not find 1000uf caps of the 10mmX15mm size.

Comment

Rubycon YXJ series 16V 1000uf is a 10x16. Panasonic FR too cording to they pdf file...

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
        Rubycon YXJ series 16V 1000uf is a 10x16. Panasonic FR too cording to they pdf file...
        Thank you.
        The rubycon YXJ cap is smaller [and cheaper] then the UCC KYB cap i was looking at getting.

Now i need to know what to get for the 220uf 16v cap.

Comment

Sidenote... that mustard / dark yellow glue can also cause problems... it's a failed recipe, it becomes conductive in time as it dries out, so it can cause shorts under the material.

If the power supply is behaving weirdly after you replace capacitors, may be worth scraping off that glue like material (or at least from around leads and terminals of components, to reduce the risk of glue behaving like a resistor between leads or terminals)

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
            Thank you.
            The rubycon YXJ cap is smaller [and cheaper] then the UCC KYB cap i was looking at getting.

Now i need to know what to get for the 220uf 16v cap.
            Same thing... Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon... plenty there. Just make sure you get a low ESR, high ripple current, 105C temp rating. Tons of them on Digikey.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
              Sidenote... that mustard / dark yellow glue can also cause problems... it's a failed recipe, it becomes conductive in time as it dries out, so it can cause shorts under the material.

If the power supply is behaving weirdly after you replace capacitors, may be worth scraping off that glue like material (or at least from around leads and terminals of components, to reduce the risk of glue behaving like a resistor between leads or terminals)
              Ok i will clean it off.
              It will be a bit tricky because this stuff is kind of rubbery [and i mean that by this stuff is very stretchy.]

Same thing... Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon... plenty there. Just make sure you get a low ESR, high ripple current, 105C temp rating. Tons of them on Digikey.
              the caps i'm looking at getting so far are these...

Nichicon UVZ 220Uf 16V https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSe...41224444455950

Rubycon YXJ 1000UF 16V https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSe...41224444455950

Comment

Here's a picture of the transistor with the rusty looking legs
                Attached Files

Comment

Not the Nichicon UVZ. Look at UPV, UPX... Keep the hour rating, temperature rating and ripple current in mind. Or again the Rubycons YXJ, or Panasonic FM / FR series...

Comment

what numbers on transistor ?

Comment

Not the Nichicon UVZ. Look at UPV, UPX... Keep the hour rating, temperature rating and ripple current in mind. Or again the Rubycons YXJ, or Panasonic FM / FR series...
                      Ok i updated the order now with the rubycon YXJ caps for the 220uf and the 1000uf cap.
                      Link to the 220uf caps...
                      https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSe...41708688287904

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                      what numbers on transistor ?
                      The numbers on the upper back of the transistor are...
                      SE431

The numbers on the lower back are...
                      0633-LF

Comment

Hello, i have a [i think] 10 year old power supply.

This power supply has been waiting to be repaired for 8 years now.

i opened it up to see what went wrong and i noticed that 2 1000uf 16V caps had vented and a 220uf 35v cap was on the verge of venting.

Capacitors brand: suncap

I had 2 power supply's of this kind but the other one was in WAY worse condition so i scrapped it.

Now with this one removing the caps may be a bit tricky do to how everything is arranged inside and because there's this weird rubbery glue holding them down.

Finding the right caps to replace the dead ones in here will be tricky too since the caps can only have a max diameter of 10mm and a max height of 15mm [if i want to get it back into it's original case.]
                        If i was to guess why the cap failed in the first place i would say it was because of the capacitor plague.
                        Here's a photo of the caps...

Also the legs on the transistor in front of the caps look rusty.
                        Thanks
                        Just gonna throw these out there: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...2f69dce0c9.pdf

SamYoung NXR series. 10x16mm for 16v 1200uF.

I would've recommended KMF series, but they don't make them anymore, and the series that replaced them are high voltage only.

These are meant for power adapters like that and are rated for long life applications. I've seen these used in older Samsung adapters. Obviously they're not Rubycon or Pannys, but they'll do the job just as well.

As for the HV primary side filtering, use NBC https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...14d6abbdbe.pdf
                        Popcorn.

Comment

431 is reference/regulator, it's in almost every device, if you feel it's bad just pull any 431 from something else and replace it
                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
                            Just gonna throw these out there: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...2f69dce0c9.pdf

SamYoung NXR series. 10x16mm for 16v 1200uF.

I would've recommended KMF series, but they don't make them anymore, and the series that replaced them are high voltage only.

These are meant for power adapters like that and are rated for long life applications. I've seen these used in older Samsung adapters. Obviously they're not Rubycon or Pannys, but they'll do the job just as well.

As for the HV primary side filtering, use NBC https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...14d6abbdbe.pdf
                            I don't trust samyoung caps to last long in a power supply.
                            And the HV input cap is in good condition and dose not need to be replaced.

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                            431 is reference/regulator, it's in almost every device, if you feel it's bad just pull any 431 from something else and replace it
                            Ok i have a few power supply boards i'm using for parts and the one i'm looking at has a '2431A' on in.

Comment

Seems like another such clone, from Astec most likely.

As for the cap, are you sure you won't squeeze D10x20 in there? There seems to be a few mm extra room from the pictures.
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

I don't trust samyoung caps to last long in a power supply.
                                And the HV input cap is in good condition and dose not need to be replaced.

Ok i have a few power supply boards i'm using for parts and the one i'm looking at has a '2431A' on in.
                                Yeah SamYoung is one of those, "grey area" brands. You can find them in things like TVs that are blown and look like total shit. But then again you find them in Bogen amplifiers that are 7 years old and still kicking with nearly all caps being SamYoung.

So it's weird, must be really dependent on the application.
                                Popcorn.

Comment

Seems like another such clone, from Astec most likely.

As for the cap, are you sure you won't squeeze D10x20 in there? There seems to be a few mm extra room from the pictures.
                                  The upper back [where the brand would be] says KIA in big letters.
                                  guessing that's the brand.

And why i don't want to use 20mm tall caps was i wanted to fit the power supply back into it's original housing [which now i know is not possible.]

Yeah SamYoung is one of those, "grey area" brands. You can find them in things like TVs that are blown and look like total shit. But then again you find them in Bogen amplifiers that are 7 years old and still kicking with nearly all caps being SamYoung.

So it's weird, must be really dependent on the application.
                                  That's why i don't know if i should trust them.

If i only had the choice of a random chinese brand to go into the power supply then i would choose OST.

Comment

The upper back [where the brand would be] says KIA in big letters.
                                    guessing that's the brand.

And why i don't want to use 20mm tall caps was i wanted to fit the power supply back into it's original housing [which now i know is not possible.]

That's why i don't know if i should trust them.

If i only had the choice of a random chinese brand to go into the power supply then i would choose OST.
                                    Why OST? I thought they failed a lot in Dell power supplies, I've even replaced a couple in a dell supply from an XPS machine.

I thought they were known to be shitty like the YC saturn logo caps commonly used as primaries.
                                    Popcorn.

Comment

If you don't have the room just use 1000/16 D10x16 caps. It's not like it won't work or so. After all, it was working for months or even years with failing caps with already smaller capacity. Some of the new series will most likely have much lower ESR so that may somewhat outweight the slightly smaller capacity.

Comment

Why OST? I thought they failed a lot in Dell power supplies, I've even replaced a couple in a dell supply from an XPS machine.

I thought they were known to be shitty like the YC saturn logo caps commonly used as primaries.
                                        It's one of the few chinese brands i had good experience with.
                                        For example: i had a tivo power supply fail and all of the capxon caps were dead but all of the OST caps somehow survived [note: all of the OST caps were output caps NOT HV input caps.]

And i had a gateway power supply fail and all of the OST caps were also good [so was a capxon cap somehow...]
                                        And maybe some Ltec caps.

And i would only use them if i could not use any of the japanese brands.
                                        {EDIT: And you were not supposed to read that part}
                                        If you don't have the room just use 1000/16 D10x16 caps. It's not like it won't work or so. After all, it was working for months or even years with failing caps with already smaller capacity. Some of the new series will most likely have much lower ESR so that may somewhat outweight the slightly smaller capacity.
                                        The capacitors i'm looking at are of the 10x16mm size [they are rubycon caps if you are curious.]
                                        Last edited by RukyCon; 03-05-2017, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X