Dell Dimension 4800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Dimension 4800

I made a vacation to the USA to visit my aunt and uncle and their kids. It was a wonderful vacation, as I had quite a lot of hardware stuff to play around there with! My uncle uses an old Dell Dimension 4800 (if I remember the model number correctly) as home computer. Now that PC should never die, as there is confidential data on it and stuff. But it ran soooo slow, and sometimes windows wouldn't even boot!

OK, I came to the conclusion that 68 processes in the BG when idling isn't too good of a windows configuration for a PC like this (P4 2.8GHz, 512MB DDR2-667), but why would Windows refuse to boot sometimes?

I opened the case and apart from everything being dusty over there, guess what?

Two, no THREE (One hidden below that green fan thingy) dead capacitors, two nichicons and one KZG or something like that (1000uF, 820uF and 1800uF). Two were buling and the third one hidden under the green plastic was leaking too.

Now I had to get new capacitors. I've never been to any place in the US that sell caps before, but I heard that RadioShack sells them. I didn't take a soldering iron with me, so I bought one there for, I think, 22 dollars, that had to do.

I bought 2x 1000uF (Crossing fingers that they would work) because they didn't have 820uF ones, and one assorted pack with a lot of caps in it, where one 1800uF was in. The capacitors they sold seemed to be either old or just extremely big for their kind. I know I'm risking near death again soon because these aren't competition for Rubycons, Sanyos or so, but, I guess it'll do for now.

It was difficult to get the big caps in there, but with a bit of bending here and there, it eventually worked.

I booted it up and oops. No picture?! Yellow LED?! ---- Ooooops, forgot to plug in the 4-pin CPU power plug. Meh, let's pretend that didn't happen - So it worked, and I hope that it won't die soon

Re: Dell Dimension 4800

Hate to break it to you, but those Radioshack caps are probably just as bad as what was replaced.

Comment

Cheese007 is right. NEVER use general purpose caps (which as all RadioShack sells) on motherboards. Get them from badcaps.net or mouser.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by cheese007
        Hate to break it to you, but those Radioshack caps are probably just as bad as what was replaced.
        Radio Shack caps are not that bad, they're just not made for that application so they probably won't last very long (if at all).
        On the other hand, badcaps.net and mouser.com will actually have the right caps for a lower price and they will likely arrive in only a few days so I would highly suggest you replace the caps from either one of those places.
        As far as caps, you can get Rubycon MCZ and MBZ from here (badcaps.net), or you can go to mouser and get Nichicon HM, HN, or HZ. Rubycon is probably the best quality cap you can get, though.

Comment

It would be wise to just recap the entire board as well, instead of just the bulging ones, assuming the rest are the same brand.

Comment

In addition to the Dimension 4700 having the bad Nichicons, other Dells I've seen (outside of the GX270 and 280) with them are the Dimension 8300, 8400 (and its Precision 370 cousin) and the 4700C (with Teapos).

Comment

Working...
            X