Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

polypropylene motor start caps for crossovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

polypropylene motor start caps for crossovers?

Is there any reason why I can't use polypropylene motor start capacitors for my speaker crossovers? They seem to have all the right specs so I thought I might ask here to find out? I'm replacing all the electrolytic capacitors on my speaker crossover boards with polypropylene caps and this would be the cheaper way to go. If it works???
    Attached Files
    HP P6-2203a desktop,AMD CPU A8-5500 with Radeon HD7560D,3.20Ghz. Radeon HD 6670.8Gb Ram.2TB HDD. WIN 10 64 bit O/S.

Re: polypropylene motor start caps for crossovers?

Motor "start caps" are usually nonpolar electros, with values from 180-680uF. These come in a black phenolic case (usually), and have a seal/plug retained by a "star clip."

You're thinking of motor "run caps," which are oil filled film caps. Smaller values, typically under 100uF.

There's one good reason to not use them- space. Film caps tend to be large for the value.
    They also typically come in "even" values- 1, 2, 3, 5, 7.5, 10, etc, not E-whatever series as used in electronic equipment.

http://www.capacitorguide.com/motor-starting-capacitor/

NPEs for crossovers usually come in even values, FWIW.
    Last edited by kaboom; 12-18-2018, 11:04 PM. Reason: link and info added ;)
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Re: polypropylene motor start caps for crossovers?

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
      Motor "start caps" are usually nonpolar electros, with values from 180-680uF. These come in a black phenolic case (usually), and have a seal/plug retained by a "star clip."

You're thinking of motor "run caps," which are oil filled film caps. Smaller values, typically under 100uF.

There's one good reason to not use them- space. Film caps tend to be large for the value.
      They also typically come in "even" values- 1, 2, 3, 5, 7.5, 10, etc, not E-whatever series as used in electronic equipment.

http://www.capacitorguide.com/motor-starting-capacitor/

NPEs for crossovers usually come in even values, FWIW.
      Thankyou Kaboom, that link was very educational and will save me a lot of money!
      HP P6-2203a desktop,AMD CPU A8-5500 with Radeon HD7560D,3.20Ghz. Radeon HD 6670.8Gb Ram.2TB HDD. WIN 10 64 bit O/S.

Comment

Working...
      X