Onkyo TX-NR838 (smoking) trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo TX-NR838 (smoking) trouble

I have picked this up from the bay, with a blown center channel.
    Easy fix, right?
    I have found all the parts, that are needed to be replaced.
    All done, I have tested the mainboard twice and the pre-amp board twice.
    All is good. I have started measuring the idle current and it was going up slowly(which is good). Around 5mV, suddenly it was dropping toward 0, and it reached 0.
    I have took everything apart, and measured everything again. I did not find, anything wrong. I put it back together and this time, the idle current started going up way to fast to my liking and of course, it started smoking at the center channel pre-amp board. I have turned it right off, to don't cause bigger damage.
    Found a 2.2 Ohm resistor(R6292) near the connector(emitter resistor for the TTA transistor-Q6102), with very high resistance. I have replaced it, could not find anything else wrong.
    I have tried it again, after inspecting everything again. Still smokes.
    I would need help, tracing down why it keeps smoking.
    I have also replaced C6022/50V(capacitor between the two TTA/TTC transistors, just in case). I have to recognize, that I did not replace TTC, because it wasn't blown(initial repair), only the TTA.
    In these amps, almost every time, blow the same components.
    Capacitor has the right orientation, I have checked.
    I would appreciate any help.

Tibor
    Last edited by tibimakai; 11-05-2018, 03:04 PM.

Re: Onkyo TX-NR838 (smoking) trouble

added service manual just in case you dont have it
    Attached Files

Comment

I have it, thanks though.

Comment

struggling with your id numbers .. transistor not on schem .. if i search 6102 it shows me r6102 emitter resistor 0.22 ohms ?
        can you check your id numbers ?

Comment

I would say you have a damaged transistor. They are a bit harder to track down. You have to do the full test sometimes.

Compare the two diode-junction readings within a transistor, between transistors on other channels.
          Look at VBE and VCB readings with a diode-test on a multimeter.
          They should be close to the others, say 0.6V and if you get a lower or higher reading say 0.4 or 0.8, then the junction is suspect.
          Another test is ohms between transistor pins should show many megs or nothing- but a partially burnt junction will show up leaky (out of circuit test).

I would say a driver or O/P transistor is damaged, and usually the vbe multiplier Q5461 2SA1036/Q5411 2SC2412 gets cooked.
          If you short the vbe multiplier Q5461, bias should go to zero and it should run Class B unless the driver/output stage has an issue.

Temp sensor transistor Q6002 2SC2412 on the heatsink but it has R6022 2k2 to limit current so it is not likely damaged.

Comment

Sorry about having screed up the id numbers. Those are for a TX-RZ800. It should be R5372-2.2 Ohm, TTA- Q5252, C5442- 22uF.
            I'm working on 4 Onkyos.

Comment

redwire, thanks for that. I will, check out the transistors again. What I have failed to do and maybe that is the problem, that when I have replaced TTA, I did not replace TTC, since it was showing OK.

Comment

Q5252 plus more likely shorted

Comment

I have measured again everything and the only difference that I have noticed is the C5002(221J). I have used the Ohm meter. On every other channel it was starting to raise, from 126 kohm, but at the C5002, it was steady at 0.709 Mohm. I don't know, if it means anything.
                  I wanted to try again, to at least which part is smoking.
                  Turned it on and in like 15-20 seconds, nothing was smoking.
                  Than I hooked up the testing wires w/resistors and meter. As soon as I have turned it on, started to smoke, voltmeter was showing 2.9V(don't remember if it was + or -), Check Spk showed up on the display.
                  The only part that I have found, it was again the R5372 (2.2 Ohm resistor at the emitter of Q5252). Transistors check out good. This is a mystery.

Comment

looks like too much current either from transistor being switched hard on. bias set too high maybe .. or something after it is too low resistance .

Comment

I have found a bad 82 Ohm resistor at the L channel(!), while comparing the channels. Most likely that was smoking. I don't understand how that went bad, since the issue it was with the C channel.
                      Just in case, I have replaced the TTC transistor at channel C and of course, the burned 2.2 Ohm, at the TTA emitter.
                      It is all good, working great.
                      Thank you, for your input.

Comment

Working...
                      X