Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte GA-8IE533 with busted caps

It looks great!

However, as PC so eloquently pointed out to me , I never realized that you used the FC's in the VRM. I thought you used them for the other miscellaneous caps and the FJ's in there.

Somewhere I got the wires crossed in my head of which ones you were putting where...

I think the saving grace here is that you doubled them up by filling the 2 open spaces. You have 4 where there used to be 2. The FC specs are 1850mA ripple and an ESR of 35 mohms. You've effectively Doubled the capacitance there, your ESR is 8.75 mohms, and ripple is 7400mA. I have no idea what the GSC's were rated for (I have no specs), but I think the 4x FC's are rather close.

My immediate concern would be the single FC. It may cause a problem in the future.

Best of Luck!
    Toast
    veritas odium parit

Comment

I thought FC were fine for the VRM in (although I wouldn't use them for VRM out), although you probably know more about it than me. Also, I believe that the single cap in parallel with the other 4. My multimeter registers 0 ohm between the legs on the four caps and that single one.

The only markings on the GSC caps (other than the voltage and capacitance) are [RE] 105*C and T29A. RE series maybe?
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I see 3x 16v caps in the original list and 5 FC's in there now.
        I dunno where you got 2 and 4.

-> Presumably GSC MZ series in a VRM.
        3x GSC MZ 1500/16v/10mm => 8310mA & 4.0 mohms.
        5x FC => 9250mA & 7.0 mohms.
        -
        The Ripple only helps the FC's to not over heat.
        It's the ESR that affects the other VRM caps and that's nearly doubled.
        U C

That solo cap off in the corner is still in parallel with the others.
        They do that so the tiny bit of resistance in the trace doesn't cause [allow] any fluctuations at the other end.
        - It's like putting a Ferrite Bead on both ends of a cable instead of using one at one end.
        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 10-19-2009, 02:15 AM.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

If they were RE series you are fine. [And upgraded with 5 FC in there.]

In fact if Gigabyte was stupid enough to use only 3 RE there then that might of killed the Sanyo over time. [If they are bad that is. I still don't think they are.]

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the GSC were RE series I can post a pic of one if you like. I don't know for sure that the sanyo are bad. It may have been the addition of the polys that helped, but it's stable now and I'm happy

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I found a GA-8IE533 with 1 bulging Choyo 3300uF 6.3V cap.
              The mobo booted with the bulging cap. I did that test to decide if it was worth recapping.

I recapped it with OST RLS 3300uF 6.3V and the mobo booted again.

Now, 6 months later, I decided to fit the motherboard to a PC case. The mobo is now dead. When pressing the power button, cpu fan spins, power led lights, no error beeps, no post, nothing.

I have tested every cap with esr micro, small or big, and replaced some suspicious ones...

Then I took the mobo out of the case and put out the CPU and then reseated it. The mobo worked and I got error beeps = no ram. I put some ram and then I got no vga beeps. But when I placed a vga it went dead again. This happened again 2-3 times but the mobo would stop working sooner.

I have an identical mobo that is ok, so I know that those symptoms (cpu fan spins and power led lights, no post/beeps) are meant to happen when you power the mobo without a CPU installed. So, it is like a CPU contact issue..?

The CPU is ok, I used it in another mobo and it worked, I tried also another CPU with the GA-8IE533 mobo too and nothing changed..

Any idea/advice welcome.... Thanks!

Comment

Get rid of the Choyo and OST.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Bad brands that are very old can fail in such a way that they test fine on an ESR meter but they won't work under load. Applying rated voltage from a bench supply usually smokes these out. Do this outside where the explosions are fun and not stinky.
                  sig files are for morons

Comment

And sometimes you can play rocket launch!

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

I replaced every Choyo capacitor, even the small 22uF 16V ones...

Still, the m/b just spins the CPU fan and does nothing more...

Comment

Often that means bad chipset.
                        -
                        Did you inspect the chipset?
                        Did you look for bad MOSFETs?
                        Is PSU known good?
                        Did you reset the CMOS?
                        Figuring you did cause you've been here a while...
                        ... but did you?
                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-18-2011, 06:11 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                          Often that means bad chipset.
                          -
                          Did you inspect the chipset?

Ι visually inspected the northbridge and southbridge and also touched them with my finger to see if they get extremely hot, but they were ok.

Did you look for bad MOSFETs?
                          Yes and I also tested the Vcore and found it 1.55V stable.

Is PSU known good?
                          Yes, and I tested the m/b with another one just to make sure.. It didn't post.

Did you reset the CMOS?
                          Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                            it locks up (mouse doesn't move, num lock and caps lock don't work, etc) after ~10hrs on Prime95.
                            That usually only occurs when the core is OC'ed beyond what the chip can handle.

Maybe too high of core temp.

But running for 10 hours before a crash, sounds like it may be too hot.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

As I said, I did fix it by polymodding the VRM-out. It's still going strong to this day btw.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                As I said, I did fix it by polymodding the VRM-out. It's still going strong to this day btw.
                                Damn! Maybe the Ost caps on my Asus A7V8X-X with my 2004 T'bred 2400+ KIXJB was also causing a wall!

At roughly 2415 Mhz, it starts doing that lock-up bull shit at around 5 minutes of Prime95.

My Asus A7V8X-X, which I don't have anymore, also had green Chemicon KZE.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                X