Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abit Recapped KA7-100 Probs

Hi,

Sent my KA7-100 board to abit for free cap replacement think it was about a year ago. this morning i was cleaning out all the nice dust bunnies and noticed something... 2 replaced caps are bulging up and one had electrolyte on the top. first one is the cap behind and inbetween PCI1 and PCI2, next one is next to agp slot on PCI1 side it is the one closest to the back fo the board with the keyboard and usb ports etc.. the caps are JPCON or IPCON not sure see attached photo. also see attached images of bad caps..

anyone else have this problem ??

Bh

image of good cap just posted to help identify brand of caps on board:

2 bad caps i talked about notice bulging tops:

That is the prime reason I recommend NOT sending your board to Abit for recapping. They use the same shoddy caps that they used before!! Those nasty caps marked 'JPCON' are even worse than the 'Jackcon' caps also used by Abit (and many other manufacturers also).

Yeah, it needs to be recapped again! I've got 4 KA7-100's on my bench burning in after being recapped as we speak!! Very common board for bad caps!

If you plan on recapping it, use a known quality capacitor manufacturer, such as Panasonic, Sanyo, Nichicon, Rubycon, etc... A good vendor is www.digikey.com, although, for small quantity, they are VERY pricey!! I replace 26 caps on the KA7, replacing everything 1500uF and up, also replacing a few of the 1000uF caps.

Below is a KA7 I've recently recapped. They are tricky to work with, because of the space limitations. The caps around the CPU need to be installed at a slight angle to avoid interfering with the processor. The rest is not too difficult.

<--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Just as I figured they did it for free and only cost me $6 to send it to them hehe. How much for a pack of caps from you for replacing them I know how to solder so I shouldnt have any problems. I have got desoldering equipment and a good weller iron.

Bh

also how much to send it to you to get them done? just curious its a good board minus the damn cap problems ive got a 950 stuck on it and 2 256mb curcial dimms and it is still a pretty fast machine. not as fast as this XP2700+ but still good for other things

Comment

My KA7 kit usually runs $24.00 + $4.00 shipping (USA only). Cheaper than Digikey, and no profit shipping... This kit includes 26 replacement caps as follows:

16 - 1500uF 10v caps
        8 - 2200uF 10v caps
        2 - 1000uF 16v caps

If you want one, shoot me an email at: admin@badcaps.net.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
        X