Xbox 360 reflow capacitor removal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox 360 reflow capacitor removal help

I am about to reflow my xbox 360 and am unsure which caps I need to remove. I have a Xenon version mobo, please help? I really have no idea how to help you figure this out for me, lol. Sorry.

http://www.360mods.net/index.php?fil...Forums&t=18080
    link related (its the mobo)

Don't wanna bust no caps

Re: Xbox 360 reflow capacitor removal help

Why do you need to remove caps? Are you doing the "oven bake" reflow or the proper one with a hot air station?
    veritas odium parit

Comment

I don't have a reflow station so I am forced to use my oven.

Comment

Where are you located? Profile location is blank...?

Find a reputable service center that does these for a fee with a guarantee. You're looking at around $100.

-or-

Purchase a hot air gun instead. There are several videos and instructions on how to do the reflow using them. Use heavy duty aluminum foil to shield everything but the chips.

If you do the oven method, you risk damaging the board and components. The yellow(Fujitsu) caps would likely survive, but the others black-gold(Rubycon) and black-bronze(Nichicon) may pop. Timing and ~accurate~ temp are critical. Don't go by oven dial or oven thermometer. Electronic type with remote thermocouple probe and checked with boiling water for accuracy. Preheating the chips and surrounding board area with a hair dryer is recommended.

Welcome to the forums!
        Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Thankyou for fast replies! I went by your recommendations and removed the Rubycon and Nichicon caps, leaving only the newer metal ones which replaced the Fuji's. I re-researched some different oven bake methods and found a few that had around the same temps/time's. I rounded to the closest 5 for temps as my oven only goes by 5's and did the average of the times. Reflowed it, let it cool, resoldered caps, put some good ol' AS5 on the chips, put it all back together and plugged it up. It worked! The second mobo I've successfully reflowed in my oven, lol.

I have gone through 5 xbox's myself due to red ring and e74 and have repaired countless friends xbox's. Only oven baked 4. One of which works to this day, one lost like 12 caps to my oven, one just didn't work, and the one last night, which now works.

Thankyou for the help Toasty and thankyou Badcaps for being what you are!

Comment

I just fixed a xenon RROD. I didn't reflow though, I did the clamp fix. I did have to reflow an nForce motherboard so I could jungleflash my drive.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

@ mockingbird: How did/do you figure going with the clamp fix vs. the reflow?

@Batosai3591:
              >>I re-researched some different oven bake methods and found a few that had around the same temps/time's. I rounded to the closest 5 for temps as my oven only goes by 5's and did the average of the times.<<

- Can you provide links to the best you found?
              - Time & temp you used?

Longevity of the "oven bake" repair has always been questionable with me. From what you said, the odds are not in your favor...

Have you done the DVD drive mod to prevent destruction of the game if the unit is moved while running?

Toast
              veritas odium parit

Comment

no reflow is reliable without flux, get a syringe(with needle) and some liquid flux.

Comment

Working...
                X