Gateway FPD2185W Washed out / White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FPD2185W Washed out / White

Picked up 5 of these beauties off of craigslist and was able to salvage 3 by replacing the Saxon GF 470uf25v caps with some locally purchased rubycons on the power supply/inverter board.

The other 2 have the same issue: Screen powers on and I can see the gateway splash screen, but it's like the backlight is on full blast. The entire screen is washed in a white/grey color. I can get to the menus but nothing can be changed. Any ideas?

I can post pics of any parts from one of these screens.

Re: Gateway FPD2185W Washed out / White

Originally posted by zenmechanic
    The other 2 have the same issue: Screen powers on and I can see the gateway splash screen, but it's like the backlight is on full blast. The entire screen is washed in a white/grey color. I can get to the menus but nothing can be changed. Any ideas?
    I'm not an expert and I could be wrong, but it seems the backlight is fixed at max value allowed: since the backlight is usually regulated through a pwm controller (such as computer fans) you should check this one.
    If you can't even see a faint image but you see the osd menu, perhaps the vga/dvi interface went mad, so the panel gets no signal: the screen should show an uniform color.
    If you don't see any image, even the osd, I think something else is damaged (panel electronics?).

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmechanic
      Picked up 5 of these beauties off of craigslist and was able to salvage 3 by replacing the Saxon GF 470uf25v caps with some locally purchased rubycons on the power supply/inverter board.

I can post pics of any parts from one of these screens.
      iirc the ones i had like that were bad eeproms
      24lc02
      and were the caps samxon?
      seen many bad samxon in lcd's .
      if so replace all of them .they can look ok but open.

Comment

I replaced the saxons, and they work fine. If the only problem with this is the
        24lc02 eeproms, can I just exchange them out with another good chip? Or could they just be removed?

Comment

Well, I ordered some sample 24lc02 eeproms and swapped them out on one of the video boards. No change.

The problem is that I can see video displayed, I just looks like the backlight is badly bleeding through. Everything is washed out and somewhat inversed.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Comment

What Rubycon Cap did you use to replace the SAMXON GF 470uf25v ?

My Gateway FPD2185W died when i tried to turn it on this morning . I tore the thing apart to find that all 8 of the SAMXON GF 470uf25v Caps were all blugging.

Comment

I had one that lost - bias voltage (on the LCD itself due to fried tiny SMD transistor.
              That causes total white panel.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Not sure if I'm reviving this after a while or what - but I just did a repair like this before I even found this forum (replaced the bad SAMXON caps with some equivelant 102C rated Nichicon Audio caps)

However, I was wondering - the button is missing from this one, and the buttons circuit board is broken. Anyone have either or both I could buy off them for cheap, and a diagram of how they go back in properly? Presently I can't make heads or tails of how the parts came out, being broken is probably obscuring this.

Works like a charm since the new caps went in though Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hmm...or not, I hit a snag. Now the thing starts up, works great, but after about 15 minutes of 'warming up' the backlight starts to flicker.

Wonder if it was screwed up before I rescued it or this is something I did.

Comment

I know that this may be a dead topic... but I just acquired one of these already busted. 6 of the 8 capacitors are bad. When I repair it, I will post pics if anyone wants me to. From what I have found... no one has done that yet. I know for us, most know what a capacitor looks like. Some dont.

Fortunately, they are not THAT intricate of a component to replace. If you have a steady hand with a soldering iron... you can do it.

Also.. I love how gateway put these things together... kinda back ass wards. Whole other topic for a whole other day.

Comment

Out of the 5 that I had, I replaced the caps on 2 and was able to salvage them.

The only problem I had with the other 2 semi-working units was that the screen was a very washed out white color. I wish I could get them working, they are fantastic units.

Comment

Working...
                      X