Setting up a network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a network

Recently I discovered that I can stream media (.MPG, .MP3) from my Win 7 Pro machine to my Blu-Ray player (Panasonic DMP-BDT 500). Then I thought about setting up a dedicated media server. Possibly running XBMC/Kodi. AFAIK, this media server would appear as another drive letter to Windows, and another DLNA server to the Panny. Windows Media Player would probably add directory locations to the "libraries" that WMP sets up.

Could this media server be headless most of the time? Where can I find resources on remote management that won't be too confusing? Trust me, it's easier to "overload my brain" than you might think.

I remember the paper manuals I had for Borland Pascal for MS-DOS. They were trying to introduce many concepts in only a few pages, and I didn't have an overview of Pascal yet. So I didn't know that I didn't need advanced features for the simple program I wanted to write.

Basically, any computer (and the Panny) should be able to view any shared directory, and play the media. Files can be deleted only on the local machine, unless remote access is set up. I'm using a mixture of wired and wireless computers, with a 4-port name-brand router.

Would Ubuntu be a good choice here? I've played around with setting up a file server with Ubuntu a few years ago. Perhaps if the media server is mostly headless, it doesn't need a fancy GUI.

I hate to admit my ignorance, and I don't want to get flamed. I'm smart, but easily overloaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated, flames would not.

(Hopefully soon I will have more test-bed PCs coming online. Finding the time to play around with them will be hard though.)

Thanks!

Re: Setting up a network

Depending on how many concurrent users you want accessing the media perhaps you could get away with using your current pc and think about upgrading depending on the bottleneck.
    If you have a spare machine there is Kodibuntu.
    Also to consider instead of using the panny (it may have media restriction issues?) there are pre built android media boxes that act more like smart tvs. I hear some come with access to films and other premium stuff, or a raspberry pi.
    Depends on budget I guess.
    Last edited by diif; 03-24-2015, 06:19 PM.

Comment

some routers have a usb port that can network-share usb-media such as harddrives.
      they dont tell you this in the documentation - you have to try it.

Comment

I have £20 media box. HDMI out USB and Cf slot, plays every format i sling at it, and 1080 too.

Comment

Check out Plex. It supports DLNA and also has a app for almost every platform. It has a paid for version which unlocks extra features and a free version. It is outstanding!

https://plex.tv/features

It can run on Windows, OSX, and linux and even a NAS.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/s...x-environment/

Comment

It also has a really easy to use web interface to manage media.

Comment

Working...
            X