Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

desktop won't connect to modem and get internet anymore

my internet connection is fine:

however, my desktop won't connect to the internet anymore (wired connection). ALL other computers will.

I have tried everything: updating drivers, installing drivers, FORMATTING the computer and even switching out the network card.

NOTHING.

What the hell is going on here?

Re: desktop won't connect to modem and get internet anymore

Try a different ethernet cable? Also try a different port on the router/switch.

Comment

If using windows
      Start Control panel system device manager at the top
      click on view hidden devices.
      Expand Network adapters.
      Any got a yellow exclamation mark if so investigate.
      If Not click on the adapter you want to use If it says it is working then un-install it. Close down and it should install when you switch back on. If not you will have to manually install.
      If no adapter is shown then you will have to do a hardware install.
      Plug and pray

Did you really do a format?
      Last edited by selldoor; 08-04-2012, 12:59 PM.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Check the connectors of the cable... replace the cable if needed.

Check the sockets on the motherboard/network card and the modem/router and make sure the pins are not touching each other and that they're bending properly when you insert the network cable...

Comment

I see that you have tried a different network card, but have you tried plugging the card into a different pci slot? Could be you have a problem with that one slot. Does your motherboard have an inbuilt ethernet port?, if so have you tried using that?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
            I see that you have tried a different network card, but have you tried plugging the card into a different pci slot? Could be you have a problem with that one slot. Does your motherboard have an inbuilt ethernet port?, if so have you tried using that?
            YES, I have tired the inbuilt ethernet port, ALL PCI Slots, another network card, I have switched the ROUTER, the ethernet cables, and even the entire motherboard all together!!!

ALL other computers will work, except this one.

Jesus Christ, I'm a dead end here.

Comment

Did it just stop connecting or did you change something. As I recall years ago you used to have to switch off the PC and the modem and switch them on in a certain order so they would recognise each other but cant remember the order.

So we can see what you have set up can you do as I suggested previously but save screenprints showing the network adapter.

Also go start> run> cmd> ipconfig /all and post a screenprint of that. May help us see what it going on.
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Did you give up on this? No updates for a while.

Have you turned off the router, and cable modem, and switch if you have one? I'd like to say a bad entry in the ARP table but you said you've even tried a different network card. I'm a bit confused.

Comment

Hi

Selldoor is saying you power off all devices on the network. ALL of them including PCs etc. Then first power up the modem/modem-router. Wait for at least a minute to allow your ISPs server to connect and issue an IP address. Then turn on the next device in line and wait a minute. This may be a seperate router or AP. Then when that shows a successful connection to the last, start up PCs, laptops or whatever.

Of course if other connected devices are working then the above is for reference, its not relevent to the problem PC.

You said you re-formatted the drive and clean re-installed Windows ? If so then either you don't have a valid NIC driver installed or its a faulty hardware issue. Could it be something simple like a couple of bent pins in the LAN socket ?
                  Last edited by Gariarto; 09-06-2012, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X