Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell E178FPb - white screen

not even fit for the vip room.POOF!
    Last edited by kc8adu; 05-25-2010, 05:01 AM.

Comment

much nonsense snipped...
      Last edited by kc8adu; 05-25-2010, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cjmclellen
        Oh damn it! I posted to the wrong forum.

He he.
        Just kidding guys.

Try operating your panel under water,
        it will remedy the intermittent issues you are having.
        Not funny and out of place.
        You should try to breathe underwater, I guess it will solve the dumb posts you do ...
        There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
        • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
        • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
        • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
        • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
        • Windows 10 Pro x64
        • GeForce GT1050
          2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

byebye troll
          Last edited by kc8adu; 05-25-2010, 06:29 AM.

Comment

...... embarrassing MYSELF .....
            Congratulations. You made it!

...Forgive me, I forgot about the possibility of you not using your own picture...
            I apologize for not using my own picture. I guess your avatar is your real picture. At least it is brainless, so it might be related in some way .....

...maybe that's the main character in your favorite video game....
            In fact it is. I apologize for thinking you are a complete idi... never mind, I guess you just got lucky on that one.

Except I'll get in my car and drive to your house and beat the living shit out of you if you talk to me like that again.
            In your dreams.

Please post something either useful or at least funny. No, I'm sorry. You should not post at all. We all get along pretty well here.
            There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
            • Windows 10 Pro x64
            • GeForce GT1050

Comment

problem fixed.
              now back to the o.p's issue.

Comment

^
                Wow, what got up his ass!

In the 7 years this forum has operated, that was the first non-spammer troll we've had to ban! Bring a tear to the eye!

Resume fellas, sorry for the interruption!
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Capxon GL is replace on sight (like fuhjyyu), white display problem and it being intermittent sounds like a flex cable issue or the Genesis controller not getting it's voltage (defective regulator on the controller board? usually one 3.3V and another one with 2.5V or 1.8V))

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                    problem fixed.
                    now back to the o.p's issue.
                    That may not be so easy to resolve. By the symptoms, it's a bad solder joint. Given the extreme small size of the components, the lack of schematics, and even pin-outs of some of the ICs, this is NOT easy. And an honest question is "How much time and effort should be spent on a 17" monitor?" Unfortunately, my frugal upbringing won't allow me to discard it!!!

PlainBill
                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                      Capxon GL is replace on sight (like fuhjyyu), white display problem and it being intermittent sounds like a flex cable issue or the Genesis controller not getting it's voltage (defective regulator on the controller board? usually one 3.3V and another one with 2.5V or 1.8V))
                      No, if I haven't made it clear, let me correct that. The panel circuit board contains a set of power supplies which generate the voltages needed by the LCD panel. That supply is dead. At one point yesterday it WAS working and the test points showed voltages ranging from approximately + 25 volts to - 10 volts (using an oscilloscope). Before I could grab a DMM, the power supplies had failed again.

And before someone else says 'Fuse!' let me repeat - there is 5 volts present on the panel card at all times.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                        No, if I haven't made it clear, let me correct that. The panel circuit board contains a set of power supplies which generate the voltages needed by the LCD panel. That supply is dead. At one point yesterday it WAS working and the test points showed voltages ranging from approximately + 25 volts to - 10 volts (using an oscilloscope). Before I could grab a DMM, the power supplies had failed again.

And before someone else says 'Fuse!' let me repeat - there is 5 volts present on the panel card at all times.

PlainBill
                        I have seen that before and yesterday I revisited my notes. I have three Hanns-G panels with that symptoms/problems. One, sadly, got broken while I was extracting the lamps to fix a Samsung (how, I don't know. I promise I was as careful as always...). The other two ad their lamps removed too, but I did not discard them. Someone here suggested that one of the DC-DC converters on the board in the panel itself was failing, but due to the fact that I have no electronics background, and I don't have (contrary to Bill, and others around here) a scope, I just left them stored.
                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                          I have seen that before and yesterday I revisited my notes. I have three Hanns-G panels with that symptoms/problems. One, sadly, got broken while I was extracting the lamps to fix a Samsung (how, I don't know. I promise I was as careful as always...). The other two ad their lamps removed too, but I did not discard them. Someone here suggested that one of the DC-DC converters on the board in the panel itself was failing, but due to the fact that I have no electronics background, and I don't have (contrary to Bill, and others around here) a scope, I just left them stored.
                          I've seen pictures of other panel cards that had a single IC to generate the voltages. This one appears to use multiple ICs. I've been able to read the part numbers of a few of them. One does not appear to have a datasheet available. I was unable to match the part number of the other; probably a reading error on my part.

PlainBill

Comment

PlainBill,
                            Any progress on this? I have an E178fpb and the boards don't match the physical description of yours. or the pictures. I can't tell anything that's wrong with the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by alexanderjohn
                              PlainBill,
                              Any progress on this? I have an E178fpb and the boards don't match the physical description of yours. or the pictures. I can't tell anything that's wrong with the boards.
                              It's a slow process. I HAVE found a lighted magnifier so reading part numbers on ICs is now possible. Unfortunately, the numbers I come up with don't generate hits with Google. The input to the inductor is a steady 5V DC,obviously it should be switched on and off. The next step is to try to trace it back to the driver.

I had considered the 'poke and prod' approach on the assumption it was a bad solder joint. However, that seems dubious when it would involve shorting IC pins together....

PlainBill

Comment

Good news / bad news on this monitor. My wife teaches computer skills in a Middle School. One of the modules is base on the Lego Mindstorm robotics system. The NXT controllers are unreliable, the problem is often poor solder joints on the display assembly. Currently I have half a dozen of them in a box waiting for repair. Sadly, my venerable Ungar 27 watt soldering iron just isn't up to the task - the tip is too big. So yesterday I went down to Frys and picked up a Weller SP12. That worked much better, and I was able to cope with SMD devices.

Next, I pulled this monitor off the shelf and began touching up the components in the power supply area of the tcon. I hit paydirt when several resistors moved when I touched one end with the soldering iron (obviously the other end was not soldered). The display panel now works perfectly.

Unfortunately, I have misplaced the screws that hold everything together.

PlainBill

Comment

LOL Congrats, I Like it when you find the problem!

Do you think the solder joint cracked from heat?

BTW, I wish I could get a hold of some of those NXT controllers!

Comment

I have one Dell E178FPc. When I power one the Monitor it shows the Full Screen Test pattern like images. It doesn't get affected with or without VGA cable connectivity

Comment

Plainbill I had a heap of smd transistors on a kenwood head unit for the car do this, it took out the lcd display.

obviously sometimes the conditions in the room these are manufactured changes.
                                      cause I have this other head unit the same and it never done.

Comment

Working...
                                      X