X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
    What are you planing on doing to that PSU? Scrap it? Burn it? Throw it off an cliff?
    While PSUs like this are not worth fixing to power a computer, as an Electronics Hobbyist, I find them to be a goldmine for various projects and repairs.

I had a PSU back in my first computer that was even more gutless than the above PSU. When I scrapped it for parts (that is, I desoldered everything from it), I used the parts to fix many other PSUs and electronics. And I built almost my entire Senior Project in university with parts from that PSU. So it has been extremely useful and I am glad I had kept it over the years.

Thus, if you are into learning or playing with electronics (be it as a hobby or a profession), you will likely find crap PSUs like the above very useful over time.

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
    That transformer is just... Wow!
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
    I'll be surprised if it holds past 100-150 Watts of load.

Comment

Well, up to a point. First, parts from such craps are too weak for any decent units. Second, when you have dozens of such, it gets just too much to diassemble everything (and what to do with so many components? ).
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I present the WORST PSU AT I've seen.
        In the photo that I measured the voltage, I almost electrocuted, because of the camera, I did not fix and I did not put the hand correctly with the tip of the multimeter. XD.
        Kids, do not do this at home xD.
        Going back to the subject, I find it VERY regrettable to leave a huge hole where the input of 220V DC ...
        In addition, the primary capacitors bloweds...
        Attached Files
        Gaming pc:
        nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
        Workshop PC:
        Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
        Server:

Comment

200W from that? Not with those light weight heatsinks! And with just 220uF input capacitors the hold-up time would be horrible. The thing is over 20 years old, time to send it to the recycler.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
            200W from that? Not with those light weight heatsinks! And with just 220uF input capacitors the hold-up time would be horrible. The thing is over 20 years old, time to send it to the recycler.
            I also think the same.
            This source will probably pull it to the scrapping. But before throwing it I wanted to share photos.
            Gaming pc:
            nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
            Workshop PC:
            Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
            Server:

Comment

Absolute most of AT configurations won't even ever reach 100 W so the unit does not need to actually provide 200 W. That's why they went away with these craps.
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

that might be worth $0.02 in scrap.
                Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                That might actually be worth a fix.

Comment

it will burn itself soon enough.and the pc,house,whatever its in.
                  nice puddle of brown glue right across the unfused side of the ac input.
                  nice firestarter.
                  Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                  What are you planing on doing to that PSU? Scrap it? Burn it? Throw it off an cliff?

Comment

Basiq 500 recap

This was a bitch. It used special-made 8x25 6.3 2200u caps, one wrapped in heatshrink was in particular bad area. I was not able to find any 8 diameter caps for the 6.3's so I had to use 10, and BARELY make it in there, but it was shorter, and I double shrink wrapped it cause it was in tight contact with a fet heatsink

Not user serviceable? surre

bad 3.3v

one of many

two extra

I love living right next to mouser (Mansfield TX, mouser HQ)

double heatshrinked panny

looks much better, don't you think?

passed

and in a C2D system working flawlessly, so there is no problem with handling a pull
                    Attached Files
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

8mm caps for Voltage Filtering are generally a bad idea...
                      And that FSP Plattform had its problems...
                      Though it looks like a newer revision...

Comment

Re: Basiq 500 recap

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                        This was a bitch. It used special-made 8x25 6.3 2200u caps, one wrapped in heatshrink was in particular bad area. I was not able to find any 8 diameter caps for the 6.3's so I had to use 10, and BARELY make it in there, but it was shorter, and I double shrink wrapped it cause it was in tight contact with a fet heatsink
                        FSP, most likely GLN platform. I can see GLY, yep, pretty much the same.

Though my new 1200/16 and 2200/6.3 D8x20 mm Rubycons make any Panasonics just a dogs food. You should consider sourcing some too, I bet I'll be cheaper even with shipping than all those overpriced corporations.
                        Last edited by Behemot; 06-11-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Re: Basiq 500 recap

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                          FSP, most likely GLN platform. I can see GLY, yep, pretty much the same.

Though my new 1200/16 and 2200/6.3 D8x20 mm Rubycons make any Panasonics just a dogs food. You should consider sourcing some too, I bet I'll be cheaper even with shipping than all those overpriced corporations.
                          sourcing?

Comment

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sourcing

and than cap stock

Comment

so I should buy caps from Czechoslovakia?

Comment

Wut?

Comment

Show a little grace, Behe. Many Americans are still getting used to Yugoslavia having re-Balkanized.

That reminds me ... would a Yugo now properly be called a Serbo? A Croato? A Bosno? (Please! Not from Herzegovina or Macedonia!)
                                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I don't pay shipping for caps, I pay tax because they're bought in-state

I also buy other stuff from them, I got a USB connector for a case, some other parts, a sata connector for a DVD drive controller board

Comment

Hi guys, not the worst but for a 2 month old PSU from Corsair model CX650M deserve to be here. Fail description: Short FR157 diode,completely short circuited CEF04N7G Mosfet, short Zener Diode marked ZD4A, 4 blown resistors and destroyed PCB trace. Currently trying to identify values of bown glass zener diode printed ZD4A.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah this platform is not that great, but if it's only two months old, it is under warranty, no?

Comment

Hi Behemot, was purchased in other country so no warranty here,is from a friend that gave it to me, im trying to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X