Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning Motherboards - ATTN SMOKERS!!

Had a for parts machine that I thought bringing back to life. Had a ASRock P4VM890, Delta DPS-300PB-2A and a VIA USB2 card.

I hope NOBODY has to live the hell I had to go through cleaning the PSU. Sweet Jesus Christ, I don't think I had a PSU smell that bad of nicotine and have so much dust.

I cleaned out the dust now. It still smells a bit (generally when warm) but it's mostly gone.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
      Had a for parts machine that I thought bringing back to life. Had a ASRock P4VM890, Delta DPS-300PB-2A and a VIA USB2 card.

I hope NOBODY has to live the hell I had to go through cleaning the PSU. Sweet Jesus Christ, I don't think I had a PSU smell that bad of nicotine and have so much dust.

I cleaned out the dust now. It still smells a bit (generally when warm) but it's mostly gone.
      How do you clean a PSU?

Comment

Originally posted by christinejshaw View Post
        How do you clean a PSU?
        Same way you do a motherboard. Complete disassembly, hot water & simple green, and an air compressor to blow the water out of everything. I've cleaned a lot of them that way.

Here's a good example of hotwashing some PSU's: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=16

I do this all the time with stinky PSU's from houses of smokers. Like anything else electronic, just make sure its dried out good before firing it up. With an air compressor, you can wash, air compressor dry, reassemble, and power them up right away...I do it all the time.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          Same way you do a motherboard. Complete disassembly, hot water & simple green, and an air compressor to blow the water out of everything. I've cleaned a lot of them that way.

Here's a good example of hotwashing some PSU's: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=16

I do this all the time with stinky PSU's from houses of smokers. Like anything else electronic, just make sure its dried out good before firing it up. With an air compressor, you can wash, air compressor dry, reassemble, and power them up right away...I do it all the time.
          I'm a noob. I thought you could get zapped pretty good taking about a psu?

Comment

I'm a noob. I thought you could get zapped pretty good taking about a psu?
            If you're a noob, you might not want to try it.....but if the PSU is thoroughly & completely dry, its safe.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

If you're a noob, you might not want to try it.....but if the PSU is thoroughly & completely dry, its safe.
              So if I open it up there is no risk of shock?

Comment

So if I open it up there is no risk of shock?
                If you remove power, it should discharge everything.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

If you remove power, it should discharge everything.
                  Awesome! I have a few lying around that I can run tests and clean them. You rock!

Comment

To be on the safe side measure the big capacitors with a volt meter set to DC.
                    Sometimes they don't discharge, either because the discharge resistors are broken or none are installed...
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                      To be on the safe side measure the big capacitors with a volt meter set to DC.
                      Sometimes they don't discharge, either because the discharge resistors are broken or none are installed...
                      I did say *should* discharge... On old television sets I'd service back in the day, if servicing power supplies, I'd just take a screwdriver and short the leads on those caps, just to make sure they were drained. They'd occasionally create a nice spark!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

It works perfect. I love this forum. Hat tip to you Top Cat!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Lol thats what the inside of my laptop looked like last time i cleaned it

Comment

Hey I've just joined the forum after reading a few posts. I'm going to clean a motherboard with hot water and simple green. I don't have an air compressor. Can I dry it with a hairdryer? Or is it better if I leave it to air dry?

Comment

Originally posted by Zane123 View Post
                              Hey I've just joined the forum after reading a few posts. I'm going to clean a motherboard with hot water and simple green. I don't have an air compressor. Can I dry it with a hairdryer? Or is it better if I leave it to air dry?

Comment

Originally posted by Zane123 View Post
                                Can I dry it with a hairdryer? Or is it better if I leave it to air dry?
                                Doesn't matter, both will work.

However, be advised that if you do use a hair dryer, the board could still have moisture/water trapped under the large BGA chips and some connectors, even if it looks dry on the outside. For this reason, I prefer to let my boards air dry. This takes more time, however. If you are looking for a speedier process, first let the board drain for about 30 minutes while placed vertically. After this, hit it with the hair drier until most of the moisture from the board is gone and the board feels warm. Finally, let the board sit for a day or two in a dry, airy place. I, for example, have have forced air heating (and cooling) at my place, so after doing the above, I then place the board sitting vertically above an air vent. Usually within a day, my stuff dries. But I typically let it sit for 2-3 at least.

Comment

I dry them with the air compressor. Wash, dry, and powered back up...all within 10 minutes. Never had an issue!
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

how about baking the board for an hour at 100°C? this is used to remove moisture to prevent popcorning during reflows. can the same logic and technique be used to just make sure the bga chips are dry underneath before applying power?

Comment

Hello, I can see that a very good job, yes I know the stench is the worst, I had the worst smell too, but I don't know if the same one I bought a used motherboard and it stinked a lot, but I didn't clean it, I threw it away because it was impossible to stand it and I bought a new one
                                      silent is gold.

Comment

Done this to my lga 1151 board for my 6700k when i spilled soda on it. Best way to clean off sticky gunky residue.
                                        https://låneutensikkerhet.no

Comment

Originally posted by lenvane View Post
                                          Done this to my lga 1151 board for my 6700k when i spilled soda on it. Best way to clean off sticky gunky residue.
                                          Yes, it works....I done this to LGA socketed boards. You just have to be very careful of the socket. If using an air compressor for the initial dry-out, don't hit the socket with a lot of pressure (use a regulator and turn it way down), or leave the CPU in it during that time.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X