Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: Topcat's Budget Telephone System- Panasonic KX-TA624 Conquest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
It was one of the first things I tried long before I dug this POTS system out of the attic. After a few calls on it, the quality made me not pursue it any further.
Odd. I never noticed any call quality issues. Maybe I'm lucky for once?

Quote:
No worries.....we all know your bark is a lot worse than your bite!
That's the kind of day I've had... but that's for another thread. Or a PM.

(Insert witty quote here)
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #22
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
That's the kind of day I've had... but that's for another thread. Or a PM.
...or email, whichever you prefer...

I was up in the attic and found a spool with probably 200ft of cat5 cable on it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.George View Post
Do yourself as favor and make a crib-sheet regarding how to program various features. Most of these systems (esp older ones) are incredibly cryptic about what to do and how to do it -- in addition to knowing the proper lingo ("Camp ON", "Call Group Pickup", "Line Queuing", DID, DLA, "Forced Line Disconnect", "Tandem Calling", etc.)
Yea, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, programming this thing is a bit complicated....and the manual may as well be written in japanese.... The basic stuff wasn't too bad....but setting up ring groups and other more advance settings seems a bit more obscure to find clear directions for.... For example, an incoming call rings every extension....which right now is fine....but down the road, I'd like it to only ring at a couple extensions and the rest remain silent. Turning the ringers off isn't an option, since I'd like them to ring for the intercom (communication between my shop & house)....but once I figure it all out, some layman's cribnotes are a definite!

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:36 PM   #23
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Yea, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, programming this thing is a bit complicated....and the manual may as well be written in japanese....
The docs I found for my PBX (Meisei MK440CT) were sparse (mainly "feature lists" published by PBX vendors). I ended up disassembling the code in the microprocessor to figure out what the commands were and their formats, etc. WAY too much work!

I think a newer "all digital" PBX might be easier to comprehend as mine had hard-wired signal paths (digitally controlled analog) that imposed constraints on what could and couldn't be done -- so (without schematics), a lot of effort went into understanding why THIS worked but not THAT...

Many alarm systems are equally cryptic. Stupid when you consider how easy it is to add a serial port (or, BT interface!).

Quote:
The basic stuff wasn't too bad....but setting up ring groups and other more advance settings seems a bit more obscure to find clear directions for.... For example, an incoming call rings every extension....which right now is fine....but down the road, I'd like it to only ring at a couple extensions and the rest remain silent.
I'm developing a "digital attendant" that interacts with callers to determine if I "need" to be contacted. E.g., because the machine can "listen in" on any conversation, it can learn various callers' speech characteristics -- so, can identify them when they call at a future time. Couple this with rules regarding who/what/when I am willing to be "bothered" and I get the advantage of privacy with "ring through" based on genuine "need" (e.g., if my other half phones, I want the phone to ring regardless of time of day or where I might be at the time. OTOH, if a friend/colleague calls at an inopportune time, just "take a message" -- and don't let the phone ring!).

Quote:
Turning the ringers off isn't an option, since I'd like them to ring for the intercom (communication between my shop & house)....but once I figure it all out, some layman's cribnotes are a definite!
I've taken to doing this for every piece of kit that I have to "set up". As I don't expect to be doing that again any time soon, I'm reasonably sure that I will remember some (many?) details that will eat my lunch at that future date!

(E.g., how to bypass the registration screens on various phones, ebook readers, etc. I've got an iPhone that I'll have to sort that out for, RSN)
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #24
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz

What a crappy, cold, rainy & drab fall day.....so I wasted it snaking the shittiest cable of all through the wall from my office to the wire closet.....

The crappy part over, and phone working.

Those awesome 3 monitors, just to make someone get all excited....

Wall jack.....install clean or don't install at all.

Now for the workroom. This jack originally was 2x RJ45 connectors with cat5e to each. I 'borrowed' one of the cat5e lines and pulled the RJ45 jack and replaced it with an RJ11 (the wall plate works with either)....and of course pulled the other end in the wiring closet from the LAN switch and patched it into the telco switchboard.

I wired this back in 2010 when I finished out this room. At some point, I may run an additional/dedicated telco wire, but for now this was the easy way. There's already 4 LAN connections in this room, plus the wifi.....one of the LAN drops could be spared.

...and done with this for today!

So far so good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg telco_3449.JPG (202.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg telco_3450.JPG (211.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg telco_3451.JPG (134.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg telco_3452.JPG (174.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg telco_3453.JPG (196.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg telco_3454.JPG (183.2 KB, 19 views)
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote