Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting & Designing Networks
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
andymanley

City & State: Norwich
My Country: UK
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Free wifi solution.

Hi all.

I am looking to set up a free wifi solution in a bar.

We have a good fast stable internet connection and a BT business router.

Setting up a simple unsecured wifi connection won't be a problem.

What we would like to do is ask for email addresses and phone numbers so we can harvest clients data for promotional purposes.

Even if it is a connect to the free wifi and a popup message appears with our logo and enter your email address to continue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
andymanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
shovenose
Send Doge Memes

City & State: Fairfax, California
My Country: USA
I'm a: Forum Junkie
Default Re: Free wifi solution.

Ubiquiti UniFi AP Pro.
shovenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
rauno45

City & State: virumaa
My Country: Estonia
Line Voltage: 230VAC
I'm a: Student Tech

what about security? What if the bars personal computers are on the same network. there could be a hacking oppertunity or a security risk then. What i would do if it was my decision is that i would make 2 separate wifis or networks. One for the personel and one for the clients. I have heard of a inteno router here in europe that has that kind of ability. That way people on the public network can no way interface directly with the personels computers and the router wont eaven show that they excist.
rauno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Elysarian
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Wigan
My Country: United Kingdom
Line Voltage: 240v 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauno45 View Post
what about security? What if the bars personal computers are on the same network. there could be a hacking oppertunity or a security risk then. What i would do if it was my decision is that i would make 2 separate wifis or networks. One for the personel and one for the clients. I have heard of a inteno router here in europe that has that kind of ability. That way people on the public network can no way interface directly with the personels computers and the router wont eaven show that they excist.
Easiest (though not necessarily most cost-effective) way to do this would be to have a second cable (cat-5 rather than DSL on the WAN side) router set up to serve the public side - with the right software on that router you could also throttle the bandwidth so the public users don't saturate your connection, NAT would take care of most of the security issues as long as you use a different subnet/appropriate routing rules for the two segments.

It's how I've set up connections in hotels in the past.
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
xplayerx

City & State: Cologne
My Country: Germany
Smile Re: Free wifi solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysarian View Post
Easiest (though not necessarily most cost-effective) way to do this would be to have a second cable (cat-5 rather than DSL on the WAN side) router set up to serve the public side - with the right software on that router you could also throttle the bandwidth so the public users don't saturate your connection, NAT would take care of most of the security issues as long as you use a different subnet/appropriate routing rules for the two segments.

It's how I've set up connections in hotels in the past.
I Agree
xplayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents

be carefull,
the u.k. is a servailance shithole.
you may need to log traffic to protect yourself from the treasonous government terrorists accusing you of something.
you also need to check your ISP contract incase they pull the plug on you for being a "re-supplier"
specially as you are competing with BT's supposedly free wifi for BT customers.
i'm refering to "OpenZone" if they still call it that.

and also if you collect e-mail addresses you may come under the "data protection act" rules.

Last edited by stj; 10-27-2014 at 07:00 PM..
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Mad_Professor
A Mech Warrior

City & State: Orlando Fucking Florida

If you had pfsense router/firewall or something similar you could setup a second lan and set a firewall rule to block all traffic leaving from lan2 going to lan1 and another rule to block all traffic coming from lan1 going to lan2, then a default rule to allow all outgoing traffic that's not going to lan1. Then setup a wireless nic and bridge it to lan2 then use captive portal for the welcome page/information and get your web designer on this when get to that stage.
Mad_Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
ant3202
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Singapore
My Country: Singapore
Line Voltage: 230V 50Hz

if you have something nice like a mikrotik router / ap .... it is a gd start but .... you need to research more on it...
ant3202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
shovenose
Send Doge Memes

City & State: Fairfax, California
My Country: USA
I'm a: Forum Junkie

You could use an EdgeRouter Lite it's got a nice GUI if you don't want to muck around in a CLI. just put the public WiFi in its own vlan. Also the UniFi AP supports vlans so you can have different networks like a public WiFi and a private WiFi.
shovenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
diif
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Midlands
My Country: England

I hear good things about the Ubiquiti stuff shovenose. I was thinking of using them in a Primary school that's asked me to look at their wireless problem. Have you much experience with their stuff ?
diif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:54 AM   #11
synaesthesia

City & State: Northampton

Ubiquiti gear is excellent, and I would recommend it for primary schools over and above the more expensive fully managed kit like Meru, Ruckus etc with the only exception for 1:1 schools (where every child has a device).

It is very well tested, and surprisingly not enough people hear about it in the UK despite a HUGE amount of public systems being provided by Ubiquiti UniFi gear; councils, city-wide wireless systems are prominent around the country. Returns are a little fiddly but with the considerably lower cost you could always keep a few spares on hand and still be well in pocket. I use UniFi in 3 primaries and a secondary and it doesn't bat an eyelid, running both full wireless and guest wireless on separate VLANs.

A captive portal which runs on the controller (any computer you like) would solve the security issue; you could have a poster on the wall behind the bar with the password or similar on it, rotate the passwords as you like.
synaesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:10 AM   #12
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

wifi is banned in schools in many european country's for health reasons - the u.k. has guidlines that make me think it may also ban it soon.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:16 AM   #13
synaesthesia

City & State: Northampton

Utter, utter rubbish. The day that happens, I'll eat every wireless point in my schools. The tinfoil hat campaigners will never get that passed.
synaesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #14
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

you miss-understand.
it's the fear of someone claiming injury compensation because they spent months sitting against a wall with a router on the other side of it.
which IS dangerous btw.

microwave energy is dangerous,
a smart person takes this into account and uses it carefully with care taken in relation to antenna placement and power levels.
fools stick their head in the sand and pretend there is no risk.

go live in the top floor of a block of flats with a cellfone antenna array on the roof.
tell me after 2 years how many of your neigbors are still as healthy as when you moved in.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #15
diif
Badcaps Veteran

Hey synaesthesia, I recognise that username Thanks for your reply. I'd heard good things about their stuff. We had Ruckus at my last school.
Which counties stj ? I found reference to France and nurseries but that was it.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

i think germany and either sweden or norway.
probably others.

most schools have no real need for wifi anyway, they use pc's in fixed locations.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #17
diif
Badcaps Veteran

No. Most schools do. Chromebooks, iPads and laptops. Most schools use some device that is wireless.
France's nurseries. Can't find anything else about other countrie's schools.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #18
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

http://www.wifi-in-schools-australia...worldwide.html

that's a few seconds with a search engine.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #19
tom66
EVs Rule

City & State: Leeds
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
you miss-understand.
it's the fear of someone claiming injury compensation because they spent months sitting against a wall with a router on the other side of it.
which IS dangerous btw.

microwave energy is dangerous,
a smart person takes this into account and uses it carefully with care taken in relation to antenna placement and power levels.
fools stick their head in the sand and pretend there is no risk.

go live in the top floor of a block of flats with a cellfone antenna array on the roof.
tell me after 2 years how many of your neigbors are still as healthy as when you moved in.
Bollocks. Utter, complete, bollocks. First, you cannot compare a 100mW wifi router to a 300W+ cellphone tower. I too would not like to live with a transmitter within 20 feet of me. That's genuinely dangerous due to RF burns and heating, in the same way as a microwave oven can be dangerous if run with the door interlocks bypassed.

Microwave radiation is not dangerous at low power levels, it is only dangerous if tissue heating occurs which can lead to burns and internal damage. It does not cause cancer, except indirectly if the burning causes specific cell damage.
Free service manuals: http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/ -- 72 LED/LCD TVs, 5 monitors, 28 plasma TVs, and 2 AVR 6.1 amplifiers fixed! -- I repair Pioneer 9G Plasma Main Boards & KRP-M01 Media Receivers (PM me for info)

2 Pioneer KURO 9G, 12 Panasonic LCD/Plasma, 1 Sony LCD, 1 NEC Plasma, 2 Yamaha HTS, 5 Sharp LCDs, 5 Toshiba LCDs, 7 Philips Plasma/LCD, 1 Hitachi Plasma, 11 LG LCD/Plasma, 18 Samsung LED/LCD/Plasma, 1 Thomson Plasma, 1 Atec LCD, 1 Hanspree LCD, 1 Xerox LCD, 1 Harwa LCD, 2 Proview LCD, 2 Hyundai LCD, 1 "Onn" LCD, 1 Grundig LCD, 1 Dell LCD, 1 iiyama LCD, 1 Acer LED, 1 Logik LCD, 1 Baird (China) LCD, 6 Bush LCDs, 22 Vestel LCDs (Best->Worst)
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #20
diif
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
http://www.wifi-in-schools-australia...worldwide.html

that's a few seconds with a search engine.
Calling for a ban and recommending it not be installed is not the same as banning.

At least you should be safe with that tin foil hat of yours