X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor lamps' faults

Samsung 920NW
    I'm repairing a few of these.
    Basically, ALL offer the same fault: on for a few seconds - or minutes - and off or intermittent.
    Some have power caps problems, but I found out the screen lamps are basically the problem.
    My question:
    Monitor goes off because internal sparking in the faulty lamp?
    [See picture of one such lamp]

Circuit diagram of unit
    https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...ea6655b7ee.pdf
    Attached Files

Re: Monitor lamps' faults

Originally posted by burntfingers View Post
    My question:
    Monitor goes off because internal sparking in the faulty lamp?
    You are experiencing 2 seconds to black.

The inverter pwm circuit works as an "all or nothing" meaning all ccfls work or none at all.

As ccfl bulb age, they draw more current. They look like your picture. Alternatively, the wiring can be bad. See

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...klight%20lamp/

Replacements (bare or pre-harnessed) can be found at ccflwarehouse.com, ccfldirect.com, and ebay. The first has good feedback from members here.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-04-2011, 02:21 AM. Reason: add suppliers
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

yes those lamps look tired.
      another clue is pink/orange startup.mercury starved.

Comment

Thank you.
        When you hear the lamp arcing [and it smells], but is still working fine, should it be replaced right away or not?

Comment

you are this far into the unit.i would replace the lamps.the smell is arcing from insulation breakdown.replace the boots too.
          http://www.ccfldirect.com/index.html
          http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/
          these are the 2 i use.

Comment

Was told no stock for these lamps - the guy informed "Considered to be a 50,000 hour life part & non serviceable."
            Oh!...

Why not some product to insulate the terminals, something better than rubber?
            I tried plastic insulation used on high voltages, lopts, etc, but the space doesn't allow it.
            It would work... for a while, I guess.
            Attached Files

Comment

Was told no stock for these lamps - the guy informed "Considered to be a 50,000 hour life part & non serviceable."
              Oh!...
              Who did you contact?
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ny normal supplier; Screenvision - Johannesburg.

Comment

The lamps' cables were the problem with this monitor.
                  I've now repaired quite a few by resoldering them.
                  Most of the time it is only one on the top lamps, which is either burned or disconnected, just sitting on the lamp's terminal causing arcing.
                  It is a delicate job to unglue the wires and remove the two lamps; they can brake easily.

Note: the burned wire [or lose connection] is on the other side of the lamp, not on the side of the plug.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by burntfingers; 12-22-2011, 11:57 AM. Reason: To add note

Comment

Note: the burned wire [or lose connection] is on the other side of the lamp, not on the side of the plug.
                    If that is the thinner guage wire, that is the return wire. This is consistent with what alexanna reports.

Good job on the repair work. I tried one and gave up. Too delicate for me and my soldering equipment sucks.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                      If that is the thinner guage wire, that is the return wire. This is consistent with what alexanna reports.

Good job on the repair work. I tried one and gave up. Too delicate for me and my soldering equipment sucks.
                      Yes, indeed, delicate, but I had 60 to repair and had to manage a way.
                      So far, I have repaired 40, and tested them for many hours.
                      The set is made/assembled in China, and I was thinking of bad workmanship the origin for the fault [or poor quality cable], what do you think?

Comment

The set is made/assembled in China, and I was thinking of bad workmanship the origin for the fault [or poor quality cable], what do you think?
                        I don't know. There are so many variables. It could be

a) lead free solder
                        b) poor quality wiring
                        c) poor soldering techniques leading to cold joints
                        d) poor workmanship
                        e) too thin wiring (we rarely see the high voltage thicker guage wiring fray)
                        f) too much solder or too little solder
                        g) poor design

Good job on the 40. That is 40 more than I will ever repair.

I'm more likely to replace it with a pre-harnessed solution.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Just curious.. who's the panel manufacturer?

My bet is on Chi Mei or Chungwha .. had so many problems with these 2..

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                            Just curious.. who's the panel manufacturer?

My bet is on Chi Mei or Chungwha .. had so many problems with these 2..
                            Apparently, InnoLux ... never heard about them.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Chimei Innolux Corporation : http://www.chimei-innolux.com/opencm...t/?__locale=en

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                Oh, so Chimei and Innolux are one and the same company!
                                Now I know.
                                Thanks for the link; appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X