iMACs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMACs

Okay, so my brother is looking into getting a mac for the family... this will be the first mac will will own... ever. He want's to start off with a G5. The white all-in-one thing that TC and RD have. I'm blind to macs so any help would be great!
    We just want to browse the net with this mac we want to purchase. So far, we are thinking of going with the 17" variant... cause it's well... cheaper than a 20" (I still say these things are overpriced!).
    I heard these things roast caps like an oven, but I want to do a poly mod on this unit if we manage to get our hands on it!

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: iMACs

I'd try finding a used one on fleabay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Imac-G5-1...item2a156edb43) and then get https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=108. Done.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Attention Topcat - picture for the G5 poly recap kit in c_hegge's link above, shows MBZ electrolytics
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

If you look at the other kits, the picture will begin to look familiar :-)
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
          Attention Topcat - picture for the G5 poly recap kit in c_hegge's link above, shows MBZ electrolytics
          It's just a filler pic, which is used for all kits. Rest assured, it is a polymer kit.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Ok, awesome... I'll definitely get my hands on a polymer kit once I can get my hands on a G5. Anyway, overall, how does an iMAC hold up in terms of software and hardware functionality?
            What are the pros and the cons of owning such units? I assume TC and RD are pretty happy with their G5 iMACs?
            Cheapest I can find is a 17" for $120 with no keyboard and mouse w/OSX 10.5 freshly installed and in good condition on a classifieds paper. Usually these babies go for $150+ or ~$200 w/keyboard and mouse.
            Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              It's just a filler pic, which is used for all kits. Rest assured, it is a polymer kit.
              want me to get a pic for the poly kit? I still have my polymac g5.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Um, this sounds noob... but does the Windows keyboards and mice work with a Mac or am I looking at some $$$ here?

Comment

Yes standard keyboards and mice work, but the special function key mappings will be in the wrong place.

Also, don't expect Flash to run well on the G5. Web browsing isn't particularly speedy either.

Comment

Also, don't expect Flash to run well on the G5. Web browsing isn't particularly speedy either.
                    I'd recommend trying TenFourFox. I've never used it myself, since my newest Mac is running OS9, but I've heard good things, anyway.

It's a port of the recent versions of Firefox specifically for PPC Macs, with a bunch of Altivec enhancements. It won't solve the issues with Flash, in fact, it doesn't even support the Flash plugin, but for general web-browsing it's supposed to be greatly improved from other, older browsers.

Comment

The pc mouses works on a Mac, but I think it's best not to interchange the keyboards. Ecause the keys are different...

Comment

I've never experienced any problem exchanging keyboards, as long as they're somewhat close to the standard 'extended' layout. For example, compare the layout of a regular 104-key PC keyboard to an Apple Pro keyboard... it's almost identical, except that some of the key labels are different... 'print screen,' 'scroll lock' and 'pause' on the PC keyboard will work as F13, F14 and F15 on the Mac, the 'Windows' key will be the 'command' key, and the 'Alt' key will be the 'option' key... the buttons are in the same place, they're just marked differently. The only physical layout difference is that you won't have the extra '=' key around the numpad when using a PC keyboard.

It works the other way, too... I actually use an old ADB Apple Extended keyboard on my PC, through an ADB->USB converter. It works just the same as a PC keyboard.

Comment

Okay, so I got it today. Very nice G5 unit actually, I was surprised to see that it was the final revision with the iSight camera as well!
                          160GB HDD, 1GB RAM and a 1.9GHz PPC CPU, BT and Airport extreme as well!
                          I'm still considering a poly mod on this 17" unit though

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                            Okay, so I got it today. Very nice G5 unit actually, I was surprised to see that it was the final revision with the iSight camera as well!
                            160GB HDD, 1GB RAM and a 1.9GHz PPC CPU, BT and Airport extreme as well!
                            I'm still considering a poly mod on this 17" unit though
                            NOOO!!!

you seriously messed up IMHO.

those 3rd gen units are a PITA to do anything other than change the RAM on. to do any thing but ram, you actually end up removing the lcd from the front.

that means, swapping a hdd, recapping, etc. is very difficult and labor intensive... a far cry from the gen 1 and gen 2 units, which had an easy access rear panel which came out by yanking 3 captive screws. revealing everything.

the things apple does to make products slightly skinnier....
                            sigpic

Comment

I knew about the opening from the LCD panel the minute I bought it. I read up very carefully on this unit before I got it. I've been fixing laptops and LCDs for years now so a bit of opening doesn't scare me at all.
                              I was gonna go for a first gen at first but for an extra $20, I got wireless, BT, faster CPU, more RAM, better graphics, larger HDD and an iSight camera too. I'd be stupid not to spend an extra $20, but as you stated a bit of a downside when opening it up, but not a problem to me at all.

Comment

I knew about the opening from the LCD panel the minute I bought it. I read up very carefully on this unit before I got it. I've been fixing laptops and LCDs for years now so a bit of opening doesn't scare me at all.
                                I was gonna go for a first gen at first but for an extra $20, I got wireless, BT, faster CPU, more RAM, better graphics, larger HDD and an iSight camera too. I'd be stupid not to spend an extra $20, but as you stated a bit of a downside when opening it up, but not a problem to me at all.
                                ok, just making sure you knew what you were getting into.
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Old Thrashbarg View Post
                                  I've never experienced any problem exchanging keyboards, as long as they're somewhat close to the standard 'extended' layout. For example, compare the layout of a regular 104-key PC keyboard to an Apple Pro keyboard... it's almost identical, except that some of the key labels are different... 'print screen,' 'scroll lock' and 'pause' on the PC keyboard will work as F13, F14 and F15 on the Mac, the 'Windows' key will be the 'command' key, and the 'Alt' key will be the 'option' key... the buttons are in the same place, they're just marked differently. The only physical layout difference is that you won't have the extra '=' key around the numpad when using a PC keyboard.

It works the other way, too... I actually use an old ADB Apple Extended keyboard on my PC, through an ADB->USB converter. It works just the same as a PC keyboard.
                                  I ended up using a microsoft wired usb mouse and keyboard (oh the irony) and it works great! Im probably not going to bother buying the apple stuff as it works great now

Comment

RD and TC, do you guys know how I can watch youtube on this iMac of mine?

Comment

RD and TC, do you guys know how I can watch youtube on this iMac of mine?
                                      Okay, figured it out. Flash player 10.1 was what I needed.

Comment

I have another iMac question now... Well it seems that the whole family loves my iMac so much that well... I don't have an iMac anymore!
                                        So I'm on the market for another one, this time I'll try for a 20" and also Intel based CPU. I'm just thinking... but is the Intel CPU (Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo), is it faster than a PPC G5? I know it can run a better OS and that's about it! Other than that it looks just the same in every other way. :S

Comment

Working...
                                        X