Biostar GeForce 6100-M7 - Need Help, No POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biostar GeForce 6100-M7 - Need Help, No POST

Long-time lurker here, I really love the site and have garnered tons of very useful information. I've run into an issue with a motherboard that I'd like to ask some assistance from the brains here on the forum.

Because I know you all like pictures, here's the board I'm working on:

First, some background knowledge. I have reviewed the No POST FAQ Sticky... https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4810

This board was working, was running in a full-sized Raw Thrills SuperBikes arcade game. We had an issue with a bad BIOS battery, during the replacement we noticed the motherboard had caps that were severely bulging. They were a slightly different value than any I had in stock from previous motherboard work. So I ordered them. During the time the order was coming in, the game was up and running. Within a week, it died. The motherboard was bad. I had assumed it was the caps. Upon replacement of the most severely bad caps (and testing all of the others for bad ESR readings), I was only getting a momentary pulse of the fans when trying to boot.

Fast-forward to last night. I had left the bad motherboard on the shelf while ordering a replacement found on eBay. Replacement gets the game up and running, but I'd really like to get something out of the parts and time investment in this bad motherboard. Also, I really want to learn a bit more about troubleshooting these, so please humor me.

While this one was on the shelf, I jumpered the CMOS reset, and removed the battery. It sat that way for a few weeks. I started replacing some of the non-suspect (via ESR reading or visual inspection) caps. Upon completion of this process, I've got a board that will now keep the fans spinning, and respond to power-off requests by holding the power button down for 5 seconds. However, I still get no POST, no beep, no video (from on-board or PCIe cards). I have not tried a PCI card yet. Edit: I've also tried holding the Insert key on the keyboard while powering-on (read that this can clear the CPU configuration on this board). The keyboard blinks the Num Lock and Caps Lock, but not the Scroll Lock within the first second of boot.

I've replaced all of the large caps on this board. I've also replaced quite a few of the smaller ones at this point. Here's a glory-shot for those picture seekers out there (and to break up this text wall):

I'm assuming that the bad caps killed something else on the board (duh), but can't seem to figure out what. I've verified that all of the FETs seem to be doing their jobs. I'm getting a voltage out that is different than what goes in (all are either 10, 3.3, 1.4). I think I found some 5v mixed in as well. I've tested voltages at the DIMM sockets, and found 1.3 and 2.6). The voltages are absolutely stable. Naturally the voltages coming in the ATX plug are also perfect and rock stable (using a known-good high quality power supply on the bench). I've also tested the voltages on the cap legs, and am getting rock-solid common voltages.

At this point, I'm looking for what the next step should be. I'd like to swap CPUs, but am hesitant to do so as I don't want to kill a CPU. That said, I've reviewed the CPU Killer FAQ item at https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3024 and the associated VRM testing recommendations at https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=600 . It's my belief that this motherboard is "within spec", at least now that the caps are replaced. I have no tests from prior to indicate if it was a CPU killer.

I'm thinking the safest method would be to take the suspect CPU and put it in a known-good motherboard? I'd think the other way around puts a new CPU at-risk... I'd think a bad CPU less likely of frying a good motherboard. Can someone confirm?

Also, any other suggestions on what to try next?
    Thanks again for reading this tirade.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-04-2017, 10:42 PM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded

Re: Biostar GeForce 6100-M7 - Need Help, No POST

I doubt your CPU is damaged in any way. Those Nforce 6100/6150 boards are pretty infamous for chipset failures, due to bad solder joints on the BGA chips. It's probably just coincidence that it happened to die at the same time you noticed the capacitor problem.

If you're equipped to do so, you may want to try a reflow on the north and southbridge chips. Or just salvage the caps and scrap the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Thrashbarg View Post
      I doubt your CPU is damaged in any way. Those Nforce 6100/6150 boards are pretty infamous for chipset failures, due to bad solder joints on the BGA chips. It's probably just coincidence that it happened to die at the same time you noticed the capacitor problem.

If you're equipped to do so, you may want to try a reflow on the north and southbridge chips. Or just salvage the caps and scrap the board.
      I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I know they are infamous for this, but was skeptical of the coincidence of it happening at the same time. I have the equipment for a reflow, and will give it a go.

(I'm not doubting you...) But if it's the BGA fiasco, I would imagine applying pressure to the chips should change the behavior, no? I've tried pushing (gently) on the north and south bridge while booting, and there has been no change in behavior.

Comment

Pressure could change the behavior (in fact, that's the entire idea behind the clamps they made for the Xbox360), but just prodding at it with your fingers isn't likely to do anything since it's a fairly small and uneven force... you just won't be able to assure that all the broken joints are reconnected through the full duration of the boot process.

Comment

Also if you left the CMOS battery in during recap you may have scrambled the BIOS's brain.
          So to speak.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

The board has had a previous visit.
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4208
            Biostar uses a lot of bad caps and (even with the same model and revision board) the caps can be different from board to board.
            If you have OST, KZG, or Nichicon HM w/dates 2001-2004 for the 'scattered' caps then you might get lucky changing those out.
            The first two[listed] will fail without bloating at all, so 'a visual' on those is extra unreliable.
            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-08-2011, 02:07 PM.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
              The board has had a previous visit.
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4208
              Biostar uses a lot of bad caps and (even with the same model and revision board) the caps can be different from board to board.
              If you have OST, KZG, or Nichicon HM w/dates 2001-2004 for the 'scattered' caps then you might get lucky changing those out.
              The first two[listed] will fail without bloating at all, so 'a visual' on those is extra unreliable.
              Oh, thanks... I did see that thread at one point during my searches. Considering that thread, I'll probably venture forth and replace the rest of the caps, even the small ones. It'll give me something to do while waiting for the right nozzle to fit the GeForce chips for my SMT rework station.

Comment

My board wouldn't keep the date and time even with a new cmos battery so I am looking into a new bios chip.

Comment

The BIOS chip has nothing to do with the time and date. Look for a small SMD transistor around the CMOS battery. If that is bad, the battery voltage will not reach the CMOS memory and thus your date and time will not be kept.

A simple way to test for this is to check the voltage on the Vcc pin of the CMOS chip with the power supply plugged in and the computer turned on, and then with the power supply unplugged. If you don't get voltage when you unplug the power supply from the wall, there you have your problem.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                  X