Brand new gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new gear

Do you usually get your PC parts brand new? Second hand? Or get stuff with bad caps (or other repairable fault) and fix it?

Personally, I usually do the latter two, since I can rarely afford new hardware. The only new parts in my signature PC are the RAM and DVD Drive. My monitor was one I got from work for free with bad caps. It works fine after re-capping. My laptop came from fleabay with no OS or COA sticker.
    Yes, I usually buy new
    0%
    No, I usually buy used
    0%
    I don't care whether it's new or used
    0%
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: Brand new gear

I usually get stuff for free.

Comment

Sometimes I buy a few things from Newegg (hard drives, motherboards, etc).
      Usually get things for free or cheap from work...
      And sometimes I buy brand new laptops...
      Then again tons of stuff I have was bought broken and either fixed or combined with something else to make it sort of work good enough

Comment

I prefer used when the price is proper... but i buy whatever it takes to get the job done.

yes, i agree, freebies rock... as do trades...
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I usually buy second hand these days. I honestly don't see a point buying brand new when I can buy something a tad older that does the same job and save $$$.
          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I almost always buy used stuff from my local recycler. I have bought socket 775 P4 motherboards complete with CPU & cooler , CPUs, SCSI drives, power supplies etc.

I have in the past acquired used motherboards off Ebay. I'll occasionally buy a Socket 939 mobo for recapping.

I have bought several "display model" LCD monitors from local resellers.

I have in the past acquired a collection of cases that I can swap parts in and out of.

About the only thing I buy new is DDR2 Ram, DVD burners, and, of course, caps.

I have a couple of first-gen Core 2 machines but seldom use them. They are just too quiet!

Comment

I prefer used but will buy new if I can't find it used.
              I've been getting many stuff for free in the last few years (mostly very old stuff) so I haven't had to buy anything lately.

Comment

Working...
              X