Westinghouse WD55UT4490 (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse WD55UT4490 (?)

Got a plea from a friend saying the above set "won't turn on" -- power indicator stays red regardless of attempts to turn the set on.

[Don't you just hate second-hand observations? Now, THIRD hand?? ]

I didn't realize Westinghouse made TV's (rebranded, no doubt) -- I thought they made household appliances (washing machines, etc.).

Is this really worth my time -- given that there are so many other things on my plate, currently? A quick google suggests it was probably a cheap set so maybe the smartest move is just to advise him to buy a new (better!) set...?

[I don't want to invite it into the house and end up committing myself to its repair]

Re: Westinghouse WD55UT4490 (?)

That is going against the spirit of this forum.

Comment

Over the years, Westinghouse did make a number of computer monitors and TV sets. And yes, they were not of the highest quality and the boards for the same model were made by several different companies. This is a 4K model and if you look at shopjimmy's store on eBay, there's are least 7 revisions of this set! And they're selling a package of all replacement boards for each revision for about $70. Maybe, you should have your friend fix it himself?

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
        Maybe, you should have your friend fix it himself?
        That would be worse than tackling it myself!

"Hey, can you tell me why this didn't fix the problem?"
        "What exactly did you do?"
        "All I did, was..."
        "No, that's clearly not ALL you did -- as it doesn't explain..."
        "<shrug> Well, can you look at it and see if you can figure out what's wrong?"

(As if his efforts have magically made the problem EASIER to solve than it was before he opted to muck with it! Even easier to just "pass" on the whole thing!)

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
          That would be worse than tackling it myself!

"Hey, can you tell me why this didn't fix the problem?"
          "What exactly did you do?"
          "All I did, was..."
          "No, that's clearly not ALL you did -- as it doesn't explain..."
          "<shrug> Well, can you look at it and see if you can figure out what's wrong?"

(As if his efforts have magically made the problem EASIER to solve than it was before he opted to muck with it! Even easier to just "pass" on the whole thing!)
          lol

Comment

Working...
          X