BEHRINGER MX-1804X Blowing Adapter fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEHRINGER MX-1804X Blowing Adapter fuses

Hi, guys brilliant forum I have used it many times to help me with info. I am currently working on a Behringer eurorack mx 1804x which keeps blowing the adapter fuses upon opening it up I have found two capacitors which are slightly bulged at the top they are s.i 2200mfd 35wv which I think means 2200uf 35v so I'm planning on replacing them but I'm not sure of which capacitors to choose for there replacement I was on mouser and I'm not sure of the esr and ripple current I need any suggestions guys. I do think this power board has been recaped before as it has none of the xunda caps.

Any info much appreciated
    Attached Files
    Your never to old to learn

Re: BEHRINGER MX-1804X Blowing Adapter fuses

http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/S.I...%20Limited%5d/
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Panasonic FR series and Nichicon UHW series should do the trick for ya.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info, capleaker how do i find those pacific series of caps in mouser it just tells you the brand ..Thanks

Comment

will this do it mouser part no 667-EEU-FR1V222B

Cheers guys

Comment

Originally posted by garrymc123 View Post
            will this do it mouser part no 667-EEU-FR1V222B

Cheers guys
            It tells you in the datasheet that those are FR series (Same as FM). Those are the ones! Also a part of the FR1V222B sez FR. Anything that I fixed with Panasonic, Nichicon and Rubycon caps hasn't come back yet.
            Last edited by CapLeaker; 06-04-2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

I think means 2200uf 35v so I'm planning on replacing them but I'm not sure of which capacitors to choose for there replacement I was on mouser and I'm not sure of the esr and ripple current I need any suggestions guys.
              For garbage no-name caps like these, I don't even bother looking at any datasheets. I just look at the circuit and go with something that is made for it.

For example, I see your power supply is a linear one, as seen by the oldschool line transformer in this picture:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1528014886
              That means you don't actually need low ESR caps. 85C general purpose caps will likely be fine, unless the device runs very hot... in which case going with 105C-rated caps or entry-level low ESR ones that are rated for longer endurance is probably a better option.

Just stick to any of the major known-good Japanese brands, and you should be fine - i.e. Panasonic, Rubycon, Nichicon, and Chemicon. And as long as you stick to buying from Mouser, Digikey, or any other reputable place/site (NOT eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress), the caps should be genuine too.

As far as what to pick... probably any of these should do, among others:
              Panasonic: M, EB, FC, FK, FR, FM, FS
              Rubycon: AX, PX, YXA, YXJ, YXG, ZL, ZLH
              Nichicon: VR, VZ, VY, PS, PJ, PM, PW, PA, PV, and HE
              Chemicon: KMG, KMQ, KMY, KY, KYB, LXV, LXY, LXZ

And from these series, anything after (to the right, and including) Panasonic FC, Rubycon YXJ, Nichicon PS, and Chemicon KY is usually a good pick for switching PSUs as well - i.e. PC PSUs, LCD monitor PSUs, and small switching adapters.
              Last edited by momaka; 06-12-2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Hi garry ... your not having much luck with your behringer desks ...

Couple of questions:

Are these your desks or are you fixing for others?

Does the "mc" at the end of your name mean you are a dj or rapper?

How much is postage costing you from mouser?

IMO for small amounts of components for individual jobs you would be better with RS free next day delivery.

Checking for bad caps by visually looking for bulges/leaks and testing capacitance or always just replacing all cheapo caps is not a very efficient way of working. Caps can be faulty but still look perfect and read within capacitance tolerances ... you need to also test esr and dissipation factor too and check against the data sheets ... if a cap is well within it's tolerance, esr and dissipation factor values then you don't need to replace.

Also I always use 105c caps for equipment that's getting gigged and loadsa hot glue to keep things in place (for when it's getting moved, vibrated while getting driven for miles, dropped etc).

One last general tip .... for any equipment constantly blowing fuses ... using a current limiting device on the primary mains Live lead can many times save you ruining more brand new parts before you find all the faults ...
                Last edited by check12; 06-12-2018, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Hi guys thanks for the info

Check12 These desks are mine I am a mobile DJ and I was using these mixers for the smaller functions ie kids parties and karaoke in the pubs until both broke down and I was planning on fixing them myself with help from this forum

The items I bought on mouser was only 11.35 but in total it cost me £28.02 and I'm not getting them till next month cause some are back ordered. I did try rs components but they wanted me to purchase in bulk I couldn't just order what I wanted. I do have an ESR meter but on some datasheets, it doesn't give you the ers value.

I did use a current limiting device ie a bulb with a socked on it but not sure if it actually did anything to protect it. Thanks

Comment

Check12 These desks are mine I am a mobile DJ and I was using these mixers for the smaller functions ie kids parties and karaoke in the pubs until both broke down and I was planning on fixing them myself with help from this forum

Cool ... yes Behringer (used to make good value gear in the 80's when they made it in Germany) are now in the main really unreliable for regular gigging.

No personal offence meant to you but I've never actually met a dj who knew how to properly use a mixing desk or fully understood gain calibration between system elements ... I could maybe give you some advice in that area if you'd be willing to listen. If your in Ayr you must know Baz from Soundmagic studios ... I've been talking to him about putting some night classes on showing bands and dj's how to get the best out of their equipment first hand in the studio with a focus on practical demonstration but still giving a good grounding in simple fundamental theory.

The items I bought on mouser was only 11.35 but in total it cost me £28.02 and I'm not getting them till next month cause some are back ordered. I did try rs components but they wanted me to purchase in bulk I couldn't just order what I wanted. I do have an ESR meter but on some datasheets, it doesn't give you the ers value.
                    Shocking price and you have to wait because some of the items will be coming from the US (advice on other thread) ... dissipation factor is what I use more often you can work it out from esr ... but to get a meter that simply reads this you'll have to spend a bit more. Read up more on dissipation factor.

I did use a current limiting device ie a bulb with a socked on it but not sure if it actually did anything to protect it.
                    It stops the initial inrush current surge blowing the fuses again and sometimes doing even more damage if you haven't fixed all of the faulty components. Remember you need to use an incandescent bulb. Lookup "lamp limiter" on google for lot's of detailed reading and bulb sizes etc. ...

Comment

Hi, Check12 thanks for the info I have made a current limiting device I will attach a picture I found the instructions to build it on google. Cheers

Garry
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi, Check12 thanks for the info I have made a current limiting device I will attach a picture I found the instructions to build it on google. Cheers

Garry
                        Yeah that looks about right ... looks like a plastic bulb socket though (check what it's max rating is) ... probs about 100watts. Just be careful not to use it for high power devices e.g. large power amps or if there is a fault it could melt really quickly ...

Comment

Originally posted by check12 View Post
                          Yeah that looks about right ... looks like a plastic bulb socket though (check what it's max rating is) ... probs about 100watts. Just be careful not to use it for high power devices e.g. large power amps or if there is a fault it could melt really quickly ...
                          Nah, even if you use a bulb with much higher power rating, it won't be an issue in this application - not unless the bulb fully turns on and stays that way for more than a few minutes. It takes time for incandescent bulbs to built-up heat in the socket (whereas the bulb gets hot almost immediately - but that's not a big deal).
                          Just don't leave this plugged in with a very powerful bulb unattended, that's all. Otherwise, it should be absolutely fine.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            Nah, even if you use a bulb with much higher power rating, it won't be an issue in this application - not unless the bulb fully turns on and stays that way for more than a few minutes. It takes time for incandescent bulbs to built-up heat in the socket (whereas the bulb gets hot almost immediately - but that's not a big deal).
                            Just don't leave this plugged in with a very powerful bulb unattended, that's all. Otherwise, it should be absolutely fine.
                            Yes just re-read that and it does give the wrong idea... I've seen someone else use the exact same super cheap socket and instead of a switch to bypass the bulb they used a shorted bayonet fitting (to negate the chance of leaving the bypass switch on by accident) ... the socket melted in a few seconds with a faulty large power amp. I should have put all the details in the post above. But the moral of the story is keep an eye on these as they can get hot ...
                            Last edited by check12; 06-20-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Cheers guys for all the info the caps have arrived from rs I will let you know how I get on with them
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X