LG 47LM4600-UC 47 inch LCD TV With Sam Young Caps in Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 47LM4600-UC 47 inch LCD TV With Sam Young Caps in Power Supply

This TV would not come out of standby. I replaced shorted diode D607 on the power supply board and the set worked fine for a few days then quit again with the D607 shorted again. All the caps on were Sam Young and they looked fine to the eye. But I decided to replace them all since that brand is on the "Bad Caps" list. That did the trick and the set has been working fine for several weeks.

Re: LG 47LM4600-UC 47 inch LCD TV With Sam Young Caps in Power Supply

Good repair job.
    Electrolytic capacitors can fail without any external signs.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I just fixed one of these. Had standby light and 164v across main cap. I tested diode D607 and it read short in circuit. Pulled a leg up and it was good. 1 inch away from it I saw the remains of a small blue cap. There was another one very close by, a 101k.
      I pulled one off a junk board and transplanted it. A working tv!

Comment

First of all thanks to the guys that posted about this issue with this TV, it really simplified determining what the problem is. And just to add some failure background, I was watching this when a fairly loud pop occurred and the TV went black with no sound.

That said, I am hoping for some help identifying the value of the capacitor. It does not have any numbers on it and I have been unsuccessful in locating a parts list for the Lg 47LM4600. The part can be seen in first photo (C603) and has a black burnt mark in the middle of it. D607 read shorted as previously mentioned but OK when one lead lifted.

Thanks in advance for any input
        Attached Files
        Last edited by RDC55; 08-07-2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

C603 is a 220pF 1KV you can upgrade it to a 2KV.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
            C603 is a 220pF 1KV you can upgrade it to a 2KV.
            Thanks diif - parts ordered and received from Digi-Key. I took your advice and upgraded to the 2 KV capacitor. I also went ahead and replaced D607 (MUR460) since it displayed some blackening on the one lead - it was likely fine but too cheap to take the risk. I will run it for a while and no news is good news.

Just to add C610 main cap 160V standby and 395 operating.
            Last edited by RDC55; 08-10-2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X