Several years old but new cap still OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several years old but new cap still OK?

I found this guy in China is selling 2005-09 Rubycon MCZ caps.

120PCS 560uF 6.3V Rubycon MCZ PC CAPACITORS NEW!

Would the capacitance goes down & ESR goes up after 3-4 years?

Anyone bought from this guy before?

Re: Several years old but new cap still OK?

The seller has been okay to me.

I've used older [5-6 years old] NOS caps with no problems.
    Technically you should 'reform' them which is rebuilding the oxide layer by applying rated voltage for a while.
    I cheat and when I first boot a recapped board with NOS caps I let it sit at the bios screen for an hour or two before I put any real load on it.
    Haven't had any problems.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

pcbonez

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

well, if you had recapped a mobo, it wise to not give it a serius load yet. just let it run in the bios. for how much long? i think 15-30mnt is enough.

so the same with PSU. best if u have a dummy load, not to lightly but not too heavy either. just to the point that it will behave like normal (all rails sit in spec). or if u have a p3 system to be sacrificed, that's even better (becarefull with the 12v load though, 12v dummy load is still need to balance the load, imo).

i said that, but very often i just put them to serius load, so im not wise
        days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

anyway, im still using 04 or 03 based MBZ or Zl. lot of them. no problem so far. but note that i dont own any esr meter.
          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

According to this link the rule of thumb is to apply rated voltage for 5 minutes plus 1 minute for each month of storage.
            -
            http://www.vcomp.co.uk/tech_tips/ref...eform_caps.htm
            -
            So 5 year old caps would be 65 minutes.
            On the mobo it won't be at 'rated voltage' but realistically that doesn't matter because the oxide layer adjusts it's thickness to the actual applied voltage over time anyway.
            - A new 16v rated cap on 12v 'reforms down' to 12v after a while. [unforms?]
            The PSU's regulation serves the purpose of the resistor they mention. [over current]
            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-17-2009, 11:23 PM.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Nice one fellas some intresting information, just sent link to my son to read
              thxs
              bob

Comment

Working...
              X