X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: List of Bad Cap Manufacturers

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
    I've never heard of this brand either. This Anodia 1000uF 16V cap was in a dead Telstra TT-300-6B cordless phone wall wart from 1997. Transformer was open on primary (19 ohms on secondary).

The negative stripe is identical to Su'scon. Note the basketball-shaped vent...
    I've seen those a few times. All were good, but yes, they are old.
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

ABAcon, on a 56K modem
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pentium4; 04-08-2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Wow, what an eye opener.
        Did not even realize there were THAT many brands of Elytics....but I am not into computers.
        In the guitar amp world we pretty much see:
        TAD
        F&T
        IC
        Xicon
        Nichicon

IC had a bad run of 20/450 axils a few years back. I guess it was the whole... bad Elytic Paste scenario.
        Other than that, we do not see any failures to speak of.
        best
        26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          Wow, what an eye opener.
          Did not even realize there were THAT many brands of Elytics....but I am not into computers.
          In the guitar amp world we pretty much see:
          TAD
          F&T
          IC
          Xicon
          Nichicon

IC had a bad run of 20/450 axils a few years back. I guess it was the whole... bad Elytic Paste scenario.
          Other than that, we do not see any failures to speak of.
          best
          Yeah, Nic components had some bad runs of capacitors too.

Never heard of TAD capacitors, have any pictures?!
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Here you go.....
            http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/ca...ube-amp-doctor
            26+6=1

Comment

Never seen this brand before, but they look exactly like HEC primary caps, except with a different name with a stupid font. I doubt they're actually rated for 105C (except maybe for an hour ) and they're probably 330uF....i will check soon

Edit: Wow, actually 470uF...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Pentium4; 05-10-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I've never seen those before! :O
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Maybe K-Eagle is the next Panasonic?.... Okay, I seriously doubt that
                  But hey, at least they got the right capacitance and not lying about it. As long as they can hold it.

Comment

Is that Comic Sans?

Comment

I love seeing brands I've never seen before even if they suck They're good size and actually have some weight to them. Although the bung on them is pretty strange, I will upload a picture of that later

I think it is comic sans. pretty sad?

Comment

well I never thought I would be calling out our beloved Sanyo (Suncon), maker of the legendary WG series, but I just cracked open a Dell computer with MANY leaking and bulging caps, and all of them are Sanyo WF series

~~~~~~~

the BIG 4

~~~ the top tier of low-ESR electrolytic capacitors ~~~

Comment

Pictures? Were they on a motherboard? Maybe it's your PSU's fault

Comment

Others bore witness to a similar problem:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15903

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...=WF#post332849

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...=WF#post285834

Maybe Sanyo WF is a defective series, or maybe there are fakes going around... or maybe it's just the fact that they were used in a hot case since they are aqueuous capacitors and, judging by their specs, are probably pretty high on the spectrum relative to their water content ("ultra" low ESR electrolytic capacitors tend to be) - those kinds of capacitors dry out much quicker with added heat. They are rated for 2,000 hours @ 105*C, while I believe WG is double that.

Seems every Japanese manufacture has their share of bad capacitiors, almost. Nichicon - HM/HN 2001-2004 (most of those batches, anyway). United/Nippon Chemi-con - KZG/KZJ and TMZ/TMV (maybe another).... Rubycon, select batches of MBZ/MCZ. And now Sanyo/Suncon with WF. Barring the 1990s fiasco which Elna was included in, Panasonic seem to be the only Japanese brand that doesn't have a problematic series... I really hope the Japanese brands aren't dropping in quality, though...
                            Last edited by Wester547; 05-23-2013, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Not only is the K-Eagle logo in Comic Sans, they couldn't even find the "ยต" sign and used uF instead. FAIL.

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                Not only is the K-Eagle logo in Comic Sans, they couldn't even find the "ยต" sign and used uF instead. FAIL.
                                Good catch That is pretty bad...

Comment

^ ... And all for a total of four hundred and seventy you EFFs
                                  (abbreviation for ultra-Farads?? Or unlimited Farads perhaps )
                                  Last edited by momaka; 05-24-2013, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post

Seems every Japanese manufacture has their share of bad capacitors, almost. Nichicon - HM/HN 2001-2004 (most of those batches, anyway). United/Nippon Chemi-con - KZG/KZJ and TMZ/TMV (maybe another).... Rubycon, select batches of MBZ/MCZ. And now Sanyo/Suncon with WF. Barring the 1990s fiasco which Elna was included in, Panasonic seem to be the only Japanese brand that doesn't have a problematic series... I really hope the Japanese brands aren't dropping in quality, though...
                                    You forgot Nichicon PF (M) series from the mid-1990's in your list of bad Japanese cap series

the BIG 4

Comment

Originally posted by theOracle View Post
                                      You forgot Nichicon PF (M) series from the mid-1990's in your list of bad Japanese cap series
                                      Well, when I said "barring the 1990s fiasco", I meant exactly that, which includes both Rubycon, Nichicon, and United/Nippon Chemi-con, along with Elna - they all had problematic series back then. I still think even those capacitors aren't quite as bad as the faulty run of HM/HNs, KZG/KZJ/TMx, and Sanyo WF, though, and maybe even MBZ/MCZ... some are even of the impression that KZH could be faulty but that might just be a low tolerance for heat relative to the water content in KZH.
                                      Last edited by Wester547; 05-30-2013, 02:17 AM.

Comment

In defense of Rubycon, MBZ/MCZ seem to be weak rather than bad, if other capacitors have problems on the board, then the Rubycon's fold up like a cheap suit! - or if there is abnormally high heat or ripple.

Well, when I said "barring the 1990s fiasco", I meant exactly that, which includes both Rubycon, Nichicon, and United/Nippon Chemi-con, along with Elna
                                        Yes! - I forgot to mention a lot of the quaternary ammonium compounds series from the 90's that you are referring to, that have very high failure rates when they get older - Nichicon PF is the most notable, but there were MANY other series that used this failed technology including:

Nichicon: RZ, RT, VZ, ET, PR, PY, PF, PL, PQ, PG, MX, WX, WP, MP
                                        Nippon Chemi-con: LXF, TXF, SXE, SXG, MVK, MFK, MVF, MFF
                                        ELNA: RSH, RSG, RSE, RC2S, RC3S

unfortunately, I do not have a comprehensive list like this concerning Rubycon and Panasonic, but they had some too.
                                        Last edited by theOracle; 10-13-2013, 05:46 PM.

the BIG 4

Comment

I don't know whether Nichicon reformulated the electrolyte, or whether they switched to a different electrolyte, but the PR and PL series continued until being discontinued due to RoHS. The PS and PM series are RoHS-compliant versions of PR and PL (respectively).
                                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X